shape
carat
color
clarity

Very confused, Please advise quick!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Searching

Rough_Rock
I finally got my stone and took it to the independent appraiser (Martin Haske to be exact). Here is the issue, he did not agree w/ the GIA grading of the stone in regard to the color and clarity. GIA said F, Martin felt it should have been G, and GIA said SI1, and Martin said it should have been SI2 because he can visually see the inclusion. He said the cut was excellent and the price fair. However, if it was a SI2, G color than the price would be too high! Now what?? I want to feel like I got a beautiful stone for a good price, but I'm not sure after my appointment w/ Martin. I got the stone online and have 10 days to return it for full refund. Should I keep it or return it??

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Searching,GIA grading is done by live people and they can make mistakes too or maybe easy their requirements.The problem is that the price of the stone on the market is and will be determined by GIA gradings because GIA is GOD in diamond world
smile.gif
At any rate it is not your vendor's fault. However, if you feel uncomfortable and have your 10 days left, you might want to contact your vendor and ask to find you another stone instead.

Searching

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies... I too don't feel that the vendor's at fault at all. That's why I did not post who or where I got the stone from. I have every faith that I can return the stone without any problems. Unfortunately he doesn't have what I'm looking for and I'm not sure if I want to wait. Besides, I feel so bad returning it!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
According to Oldminer (David Atlas) it is not unusual to see SI1 inclusions with the naked eye. It also depends were do you see the inclusion (face up or down).We all would prefer to have SI1 diamonds to be eye clean but unfortunately it is not the thing are today especially for larger stones.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You picked an appraiser with a lot of integrity and courage to disagree with a GIA report. In nearly every case, I bow to the grading the GIA provides as it is THEIR system they are using and all other appraisers are mere outsiders, regardless of their credentials.The GIA makes errors, but not commonly. It is far more common to find appraisers who misinterpret the GIA's system of grading. Those who stick to their opinion are outspoken in their determination to see the GIA system bend to the logic and system they invision as "correct". But, one must keep in mind that most appraisers are not more qualified than the GIA employees who grade diamonds every day, all day long.I respect Marty Haske for attemtping to give you his opinion. You must keep in mind, that the opinion he rendered may disagree with the GIA's final answer and it is the GIA's result that entire diamond business is based upon. Grading the clarity based on the eye visibility of an inclusion is not the primary way diamonds are clarity graded under the GIA system. There are eye clean and eye visible inclusions, face-up from VS1 to SI2 depending on where the marks are located, their relief, size and opacity and one must also consider the size of the diamond and the faceting pattern.It is not a simple task or anything other than very subjective. I hope you will find some help with this long posting. Even though Marty has given you his grading, he may well agree that there may be other qualified appraisers who would grade the diamond a bit differently. Marty always callls them as he sees them.------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

Searching

Rough_Rock
Thanks David!I just wish that Marty had agreed w/ the GIA cert, then I wouldn't feel so uncomfortable. Instead of having a stone, I now have a headache!!

colorlessice

Rough_Rock
What? SI1 and you can see the inclusions with your naked eye? Both color and clarity is one grade lower? I wouldn't keep it if I were you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results