shape
carat
color
clarity

Very Confused about buying ....

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I am considering 2 matching Lab diamonds for a dangle earring project. It would have to be custom. But I'm just starting to look at Lab stones and it's all soooo confusing. I see prices very affordable and then I see outrageous prices. Where to buy, how to research and compare? I'm willing to look at and consider top cut stones - but how do I know what I'm getting? I see mentions of blue, striations and haze here ... how do I avoid that?
This project would require 2 matching RB or possible cushion cut stones, maybe 2cts each. Each earring would also require a small RB diamond, maybe around .50ct.
Is it difficult to find 2 stones, like the larger 2ct stones that match very well? Do they have to be custom/grown? Maybe consider the JannPaul stones? I have no idea how much those cost, I can't seem to get much info from their website.
I have a long way to go before I have enough education on these stones.
Where do I start?

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
You've come to the right place. @DejaWiz, @Kim N and a few others are always on here and they have a great eye for finding awesome diamonds. I am finding that just when I think I can spot striations or leakage, I end up questioning myself. I think it comes from when we built our home and I walk into a room that is just framed and can't tell how big the finished room will be. It takes time and talent!

I am in the process of buying 2 JannPaul decagons for studs. They are a premium, because you pay for their top notch concierge service and high quality standards. But I really loved the decagon!

But, I wouldn't hesitate to get in stones that are recommended on here and then seeing, IRL which one speaks to me.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
You've come to the right place. @DejaWiz, @Kim N and a few others are always on here and they have a great eye for finding awesome diamonds. I am finding that just when I think I can spot striations or leakage, I end up questioning myself. I think it comes from when we built our home and I walk into a room that is just framed and can't tell how big the finished room will be. It takes time and talent!

I am in the process of buying 2 JannPaul decagons for studs. They are a premium, because you pay for their top notch concierge service and high quality standards. But I really loved the decagon!

But, I wouldn't hesitate to get in stones that are recommended on here and then seeing, IRL which one speaks to me.

Thank you. I know I am going to need a lot of hand holding thru this. I liked what I saw in the JannPaul cushions. But I don't have a clue what the price range for top stones like that is. I will continue to read and research. And reach out here!

Txborn79

Shiny_Rock
BGD also carries H&A lab cushions but they do come at a premium. https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...collection=collection-Brian+Gavin+Premium+Lab

For rounds, if you want top cut then look for GCAL 8X but post here for opinions as some of those still have some of the blue/strain. Adiamor usually has the biggest selection of those. Frank Darling sometimes does too

Example of a GCAL 8X that I see no issues with https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/2.00-ct-D-VS2-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond/D52277652?rfr=pricescope

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
BGD also carries H&A lab cushions but they do come at a premium. https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/collections/brian-gavin-lab/?pf_m_::diamonds::shape=Cushion&pf_t_collection=collection-Brian+Gavin+Premium+Lab

For rounds, if you want top cut then look for GCAL 8X but post here for opinions as some of those still have some of the blue/strain. Adiamor usually has the biggest selection of those. Frank Darling sometimes does too

Example of a GCAL 8X that I see no issues with https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/2.00-ct-D-VS2-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond/D52277652?rfr=pricescope

Thanks! If I was to go down some in cost, can I still find a nice cut - cushion or round? I'm assuming that it might be difficult to find a pair.
I'm local to BG, might need to make a visit.

Last edited:

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
What is your budget for the 2 main stones?

These are the prices for Jann Paul. They price by level. I obviously believe their diamonds are beautiful and they take the guess work out of it, but you can also find beautiful diamonds here. So maybe look with the PS pros first and you always have this as a fallback. I do know that they didn't have much in stock when ordered mine, so I have to wait for them to grow it. But it will be worth it!
Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 4.22.31 PM.png

Txborn79

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! If I was to go down some in cost, can I still find a nice cut - cushion or round? I'm assuming that it might be difficult to find a pair.
I'm local to BG, might need to make a visit.

Yes, as far as rounds @DejaWiz and @Kim N are very helpful in finding good options

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
What is your budget for the 2 main stones?

These are the prices for Jann Paul. They price by level. I obviously believe their diamonds are beautiful and they take the guess work out of it, but you can also find beautiful diamonds here. So maybe look with the PS pros first and you always have this as a fallback. I do know that they didn't have much in stock when ordered mine, so I have to wait for them to grow it. But it will be worth it!
Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 4.22.31 PM.png

Honestly, I haven't really set a budget because I didn't know what to expect in pricing. I was hoping each larger stone would be around 2,000. But I see that is not something I can get at JannPaul. I probably need to rethink this project. A few months ago I saw Lab diamonds and was shocked at some of the low price. But they were probably low quality and not something I'd ever want or be happy with.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For cushions it's probably best to go with BGD or JP. For rounds we can easily help you find well-priced options.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
If you are local to Brian Gavin, I think the first step is to pay them a visit and figure out your personal preferences on shape, size, cut, color, clarity, and growth method.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, I haven't really set a budget because I didn't know what to expect in pricing. I was hoping each larger stone would be around 2,000. But I see that is not something I can get at JannPaul. I probably need to rethink this project. A few months ago I saw Lab diamonds and was shocked at some of the low price. But they were probably low quality and not something I'd ever want or be happy with.

Don't despair yet until the pros on here have a chance to chime in.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Don't despair yet until the pros on here have a chance to chime in.

Thank you - I will need a lot of hand holding and advice. :)

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Color is very subjective. There is nothing wrong with a warmer stone, so I would suggest, as 0-0-0 did you. go look at every possibility. And remember, clarity, depending on what type and where it's located can work in your favor. I've seen some beautiful SI1s passing through here. It's all about cut.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Color is very subjective. There is nothing wrong with a warmer stone, so I would suggest, as 0-0-0 did you. go look at every possibility. And remember, clarity, depending on what type and where it's located can work in your favor. I've seen some beautiful SI1s passing through here. It's all about cut.

Solid advice! The prettiest diamond I've ever seen was a KVS2; the first diamond I bought. I would get comments and compliments on it very literally every day. Random strangers would comment on it. People even thought it was "fake" (this was before lab diamonds were consumer products). I've bought several diamonds including D color and including VVS stones and none have compared! haha

OH... I lost it in Arizona. Left it on the table at a restaurant. Took it off to eat chicken wings and never put it back on :(

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I have a k pear pendant and I love the warm vanilla color. They definitely show body color.

Another possible route is to reach out to Jon at Distinctive Gems and see if he can find these for you. That way the angst is not even there.

Two years ago he found a matching pair of diamonds for studs and they are fantastic (just shy of 2ctw). I just could not deal with the anxiety of matching tones through pictures on Ritani. And this was a big deal for me, I was paralyzed to do it myself.

I told him my target budget and he came back with a great pair that were hand selected by him. The measurements were identical.

I would also consider ID Jewelry - another great experience! Also Diamonds by Lauren. All of them in the Diamond District in NYC and all have access to great labs.

For the record, later I did select my own pair from Ritani. They turned out okay, but at .45 each stone, my mistake potential was minimal.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I have a k pear pendant and I love the warm vanilla color. They definitely show body color.

Another possible route is to reach out to Jon at Distinctive Gems and see if he can find these for you. That way the angst is not even there.

Two years ago he found a matching pair of diamonds for studs and they are fantastic (just shy of 2ctw). I just could not deal with the anxiety of matching tones through pictures on Ritani. And this was a big deal for me, I was paralyzed to do it myself.

I told him my target budget and he came back with a great pair that were hand selected by him. The measurements were identical.

I would also consider ID Jewelry - another great experience! Also Diamonds by Lauren. All of them in the Diamond District in NYC and all have access to great labs.

For the record, later I did select my own pair from Ritani. They turned out okay, but at .45 each stone, my mistake potential was minimal.

Very solid advice. I met Jon years ago when I was searching for a cushion. And ID Jewelry made halos for my studs. I just want someone who is very versed in Lab stones. This will be a journey for sure haha.

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock

I agree. He has a bunch of lab stones in his vault or that he can get easily. All types of cuts, not just his AV and mixed cuts. And he can help with vetting.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes, as far as rounds @DejaWiz and @Kim N are very helpful in finding good options

Please know also, you can contact a vendor and they can source what you are looking for. Some of us are having lab grown diamonds cut for us in addition to sourcing diamonds already cut. There are a bazzilion options available to you. Call around and find someone you enjoy working with.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Please know also, you can contact a vendor and they can source what you are looking for. Some of us are having lab grown diamonds cut for us in addition to sourcing diamonds already cut. There are a bazzilion options available to you. Call around and find someone you enjoy working with.

Thank you Wink!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results