shape
carat
color
clarity

Verragio ring too BIG? Also, Billbarnes diamonds...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RScowboy

Rough_Rock
Hi all, this is my 1st post here (long time lurker
1.gif
) I'm writing to ask about a few questions about the ring and about the diamonds themselves of my personal favorite designer ring, a Verragio ENG-0069p.
ENG-0069P-Angle1.jpg

and another picture here Like i said, this is MY favorite. However, as many men probably know, what we feel is elegant or just plain good looking... well... sometimes isn't to the lady.
wink2.gif

1)To the women here, is this a feminine ring? Is this a ring that you would be happy to wear for a lifetime? I havn't yet seen it in person (quite a drive for me), and am concerned that it might be too square in the band, and that it might be just too big or "flashy" for a generally practical girl who likes to wear her blue-jeans when not dressed for work. She has delecate hands, long fingers but thin, like her. Will this ring dominate her hand? Would it be comfortable? I know these are things i'll have to experience it in person for, but i'm kindly asking the opinion of people much more experienced than myself, possibly who have seen or even tried on this ring.

2)Also, Billbarnes.com has this ring for what i feel is a good price. I'm concerned about the quality of the diamond, however. Will a G color truely look white in a platnum setting? (i've read just about everything there is to read... but i'm kindly asking for practical advice... maybe reasurace?
1.gif
). It also has a clarity of VS2, which isn't ideal, but i'm less concerned about that as long as the cut is good.

3)Does anyone know if Verragio diamonds or billbarnes diamonds would be in the designer ring if purchased from billbarnes.com?

Thanks for your patience with these detailed questions. I look forward to hearing any opinions.
Kind Regards,
RScowboy

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 10/15/2003 3:39:25 PM RScowboy wrote:

I'm concerned about the quality of the diamond, however. Will a G color truely look white in a platnum setting? (yes, i've read everything there is to read... i'm asking for practical advice). It also has a clarity of VS2, which isn't ideal, but i'm les concerned about.

----------------

I can't offer much on the practicality of wearing the ring, or whether or not it would be too flashy because it's such an individual thing. There are rings I LOVED in the catalog but HATED on my hand. It's such a matter of personal preference. Having said that, I don't think it's gaudy, and it appears feminine enough to me.

The stones in the semi-mount are done by Verragio, and they should be fine. You're right to be concerned about the quality of the center stone, though, because it appears they are only providing a round brilliant diamond. Yes, it's GIA certed, but GIA doesn't grade cut. You could end up getting a crappy cut diamond, and what's the point of spending all that money on a FABULOUS setting if you're going to put a lousy looking diamond in it?

I went to the site, clicked on a Verr. setting, then clicked on a .75 ct ring....the price of the .75 stone (G, VS2 GIA certed) was $2695.....way, way below the average price of $3200 or so for a well-cut G, VS2 stone.

If you want this setting and you like the price, then buy the setting there and buy a nice loose diamond elsewhere.

Lastly, regarding the G color.......emphatically YES, G will look white in platinum. In fact, if you get a well-cut stone, and H or I will face up white in platinum, too, and you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference between them when set.

RScowboy

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks for the quick and well thought out reply. It is greatly appreciated.
My concern about buying a diamond seperate is that the tension mounting of this ring seems to be unique, and i'm not sure how i would orchestrate having a 3rd party diamond "installed" (man talk for set, i believe
2.gif
) in a technicaly unique designer ring. However, that isn't a question for you, it would be a question for Verragio, i suppose.
Thank you for your thoughts.
I'd love to hear any other opinions on the topic.
Kind Regards,
RS

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 10/15/2003 4:09:49 PM RScowboy wrote:

My concern about buying a diamond seperate is that the tension mounting of this ring seems to be unique, and i'm not sure how i would orchestrate having a 3rd party diamond 'installed' (man talk for set, i believe

2.gif
) in a technicaly unique designer ring. ----------------

RS....you're welcome. A few further clarifications:

The center stone of this ring is not tension set, it's prong set. The ring itself is a semi-mount, and it comes from Verragio completed except for the center stone. (In fact, many times, they mount a CZ when the send them to B&M stores, and that has to be removed and replaced with the diamond the customer selects). The diamond of your choice will be easily set into it whether you buy the "rack" diamond from Bill Barnes or a diamond you've chosen elsewhere.

It's the accent stones that are channel or invisible set, and that means you shouldn't size it. Make sure you get the right size the first time!

You should indeed contact Verragio regarding who does the setting. Many designers state that any work done to the ring must be done by them or else the warranty is invalidated.

Another possible option: get this type of ring made custom. Often, it ends up being no more expensive, and you don't have to ship it out for weeks at a time to maintain the workmanship warranty.

RScowboy

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for the info and clarification. I'm sure this is the 1st of many questions, as i continue and find out just how "wrong" my tastes are.
2.gif
1.gif

It's funny how you can know someone for so long and not know anything about their taste in jewlery whatsoever. And then on top of that, be "expected" to pick out the perfect ring... *sigh*
There's definitly work ahead.
1.gif
Thanks for your help.
RS

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 10/16/2003 2:44:41 PM RScowboy wrote: It's funny how you can know someone for so long and not know anything about their taste in jewlery whatsoever----------------

Ahhhh.....don't see it as a shortcoming. I find it easier to identify things one WON'T like than to pick what someone will like......especially when tastes DO change.

With women exercising their prerogative to change, it's tough to predict!

Seriously, if I were in your shoes, I'd find a gorgeous stone and have it set in a temporary, plain setting (so she can wear it right away!) Once you've proposed, you can pick out a permanent setting together!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with AL...if you are really unsure, don't spend the $$ on a fancy setting like a Veraggio...let her choose her own or assist her after the proposal. Set it in a simple solitaire for a few hundred $$ and then change it out after the proposal (or on the wedding day etc).

Taste in jewelry is very personal..I am VERY PICKY. Knowing this, my darling fiance let me help him create the ring and it was something we both really loved. I would really never want to be stuck wearing something that my well-meaning fiance chose for me, for the rest of my life. But that's just me. One of my friends recently got engaged, he bought the ring, etc...finds out about a year later she hates it!! So he tells her to buy something she likes. She does..now she is happy. But its not the ring or stone he proposed with and he is out $$$ because he didn't know what she wants. Granted not everyone is like this....but its just a scenario.

You can't go wrong finding a beautiful stone and putting your effort into that. She can't turn THAT away--if its great. But the setting itself, maybe helping her choose it would be great and you can both be involved.

1.gif
Personally that Veraggio setting is too chunky for me..I don't like channel set bands. I think there is too much metal showing. But some people like that. Again, its so personal...hard to say.

Good luck!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 10/16/2003 2:44:41 PM RScowboy wrote: I'm sure this is the 1st of many questions, as i continue and find out just how 'wrong' my tastes are. ----------------

Hi!
Tastes cannot be wrong! (By definition). This rig is great but is not the type one could wear day in and day out. So, this should be a point to consider if you imagine or your girl may want to keep wearing the e-ring all the time. It does seem that most first-time diamond ring buyers around here have most difficulties (and therefore questions) buying the stone,not the setting. Sometimes the setting is left for the girl to pick (as mentioned above) but there seem to be quite a few exceptions to this rule too (20%? counting the posts I know...). Maybe it would be a good idea to get the stone and consider the setting afterwards, once the big hurdle is done with. Since you like this style so much and it sounds likely that you will get back to it, it may be worth while to ask what size of center stones this setting accomodates. In the picture you have posted, the diameter of the diamond is comparable with the width of the band: this can vary, but how much is a technicality that the potential setter of your stone can advice about in advance. Also, this is a matter of taste too..

Hope this helps!
2.gif

diamond dazed

Rough_Rock
No, it's not too big. It's a beautiful ring.

The problem with it isn't the size, the major problem with it is the few people that it would actually appeal to -- if you read around here for a while, you'll see this phrase pop up over and over "it's not my taste...." Jewelry taste is a very personal thing, and while many of us (if not all of us) would agree that there's nothing ugly, or gaudy, about that Verragio ring, about 95% of us would also add, "but it's not my taste...."

If you want to surprise her with the ring, rather than letting her pick out her own (I totally understand wanting to do that in an engagment -- I find it more romantic than shopping for it togehter), then I'd suggest sticking with a style of setting that is neutral enough that a majority of people would not have any problems wearing with wearing it -- search through the posts and you'll find that there are some settings with pretty universal appeal --the D. Vatche "Royal Crown" comes to mind, so does the Stuller "solstice" -- maybe even the D. Vatche "x-prong."

It's kind of like jewelry tastes are a tree. If you're going to pick something out for her, stick with the "trunk" of the tree. If you start branching off, your chances of "missing" are much higher.

Kris

RScowboy

Rough_Rock
Wow guys! (and gals!
2.gif
) Thank each and every one of you for the great responses. I appreciate the time put into them!!

So many things to think about...
I took her ring browsing "on a whim" the other night, something we've never done before. I was actually quite suprised how much her tastes matched mine (or vice-versa, actually!). We even saw a ring much like this one (not as nice, though) and she said she liked it w/o me even pointing it out!! However, she expressed the most interest in the 3 diamond style, which i also like and find very classy. I'm still looking at Verragio rings, because i think they are all very nice designs. I can see what one of you said about too much metal showing in the ring mentioned above. I'm still considering that one, but i've also (based on my girlfriend's reactions browsing) considering many 3 stone rings as well.
Thanks for all the good suggestions and advice, it is greatly appreciated!
Kind Regards,
~RS

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never pegged myself as a 3 stone girl but they seem very trendy right now, and I find myself admiring women's rings as we see them...my better half has suggested that when the time comes to upgrade my diamond earrings, we keep them and use them as side stones for my e-ring...effectively creating a 3 stone ring with my current setting. Very interesting! That could be fun.
1.gif
We'll see...I don't know...I think I want that e-ring center upgrade FIRST.
9.gif
Though my center stone with .50c on each side and the eternity band would be a knockout of sparkle!!

Congrats on getting a feel for what your girl wants. Chances are if your tastes are similar she will love anything you get her!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results