shape
carat
color
clarity

Venue confusion

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Aloha!

We had our tasting and it went faaaanntastic. HOWEVER! They held our tasting at a venue that has just opened up. Let me just say.....the moment my mom, fiance, and I walked in our jaws just dropped. This place is out of this world. It's not far from our original venue. Seeing this venue in comparison to our original is like night and day. Now, mom, best friend, FI, and my dad have all said we should change our venue to there. I am definitely not against it because our original venue was going to need lots of lighting to make it super pretty. The lighting was going to run us around 4k. The original venue was around 2k. New venue is 5600. So basically, if we get the new venue and cut the lights out (they have insane lighting in there with absolutely amazing chandeliers) it will even out. All sounds good, right? Problem is, a few things. 1. We'll need to change around some of the flowers since this place is MUCH MUCH larger than the original AND I'm worried about the colors. I'm doing lots of copper tones/bronze tones/champagne colors. Our wedding is in the fall so I looooved the colors. We're doing lots of willow branches with crystals dripping from the willow's. The color of the walls inside the place are light blue/darker gray. Look at the pics..you'll see what I mean. Floor is wooden, so its a dark brown color. I'm afraid the colors are going to look weird? Also, I HATE cake so we were going to go with a smaller one. I'm worried that in a place so "grand looking" a small cake will look dumb (we're having lots of dessert though). I feel like I have a million emotions right now. Originally, I was going for a very modern feel and then when SO said he didn't want a typical hall wedding, it really narrowed down our options for venues. Then we found the original venue and while I thought it was really small (its a dance studio place) it wasn't too expensive and I figured we would make it work with lighting. It's literally 10 feet from our ceremony site..which is in an area that has all this cobblestone and has lots of beautiful historic buildings. The whole area is so charming. Then we've got the new place that will just absolutely blow minds (like it did mine and everyone else I was with who saw it) and it will really be worth every penny AND its super modern with a "timeless old fashioned" feel to it. It doesn't "feel" like a typical hall, either which is why FI liked it as much as he did. It has a main ballroom...and an area seperated by columns where there is a great bar. Then, there is another room, a smaller version of the ballroom, where the cocktail hour is held. Next, there is an upstairs with beautiful white couches where people can hang out.

We are keeping the ceremony site the same. When FI first saw the original venue he reaaaallly didn't like it. It was only when I took him during the evening that he felt the same "charm" I did. I'm so confused!!!!!

I don't even know what I'm trying to say. I just don't wanna make the wrong choice. I don't know what to do!

Below are pictures. Please give me your opinions!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Outside of original venue:

SocietyHill01.jpg

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Indoors. There are 4 "rooms" total. We would be using 3 of them. Sorry for one of the small pics! The pics here must have been from some other event they had.

Shana  Fall 2006 266.jpg

Shana  Fall 2006 263.jpg

societyhilldanceacadint.jpg

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Where our ceremony will be...which is right across from the original venue. We are keeping the ceremony site. If we change it to the new one, we will provide transportation from the ceremony (going from 2nd street to 13th...so about 10 minutes).

headhouse-square-farmers-market-front-680uw.jpg

bc852ba8-34b3-49ce-99f6-945368737dc1.gif

The Market @ Head House Square_thumb.jpg

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Cocktail hour room with his & her balcony. Looks like they snapped this pic when they weren't done with construction yet. 2nd pic is the main ballroom.

arts-ballroom-philadelphia.gif

BallRoom1.jpg

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Cocktail hour room:

Ballroom+Rendering.jpg

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can I just say how amazing your ceremony site is!!!!! Love love love it! As for the reception site your original is lovely but I would love to see inside pics of the possible new site.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
The upstairs area that is not finished just yet:

219483_10100181269336673_8213151_48169985_3144125_o.jpg

220667_10100181269147053_8213151_48169984_2471376_o(2).jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
so this venue is new? I think it would help if you could see pics of it in your colors or in other colors. I think you could still make your colors work, if you have lighting to warm up the space. Do you have a wedding coordinator? If so she (or he?) may have some great ideas on how to transform the space.

Also, I think you are OK with a smaller cake-what about dressing it up with a really gorgeous cake stand/cake table? or can you get a cake from an outside baker that you like better?

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
slg47|1304912859|2915937 said:
so this venue is new? I think it would help if you could see pics of it in your colors or in other colors. I think you could still make your colors work, if you have lighting to warm up the space. Do you have a wedding coordinator? If so she (or he?) may have some great ideas on how to transform the space.

Also, I think you are OK with a smaller cake-what about dressing it up with a really gorgeous cake stand/cake table? or can you get a cake from an outside baker that you like better?

The last set of photos are of the new venue. We would be using only the lighting of the place thats already there. We have control over all the lights in there and dimming them, turning certain ones off, etc. If we do the new place, we will NOT be using ANY extra lighting as we were going to do with the original venue.

I do have a planner. There will be absolutely nooooo transforming of the new place. It speaks volumes without adding anything extra I think.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Oh and I feel like a total nut job because honestly, none of this wedding stuff has been getting to me at all and we're almost a year into planning. Up until this very moment I've been fine but I feel like crying. Well, I am. ha I feel like a loser!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1304913060|2915941 said:

The last set of photos are of the new venue. We would be using only the lighting of the place thats already there. We have control over all the lights in there and dimming them, turning certain ones off, etc. If we do the new place, we will NOT be using ANY extra lighting as we were going to do with the original venue.

I do have a planner. There will be absolutely nooooo transforming of the new place. It speaks volumes without adding anything extra I think.

oh ok, I was thinking of 'colored' lighting. I still think you could make it work-your linens/centerpieces/etc will be in the color scheme!

ETA because I posted within the quote for some reason

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
slg47|1304913387|2915947 said:
Autumnovember|1304913060|2915941 said:

oh ok, I was thinking of 'colored' lighting. I still think you could make it work-your linens/centerpieces/etc will be in the color scheme!

ETA because I posted within the quote for some reason

ohhhh...yeah we were going to have the colored up lighting for the original venue.

I just don't know what to do with the venues..which to pick.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling|1304912456|2915932 said:
Can I just say how amazing your ceremony site is!!!!! Love love love it! As for the reception site your original is lovely but I would love to see inside pics of the possible new site.

Thank you!!! I love my ceremony place too! We just took some engagement pics there!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Old venue seems all quirky and cool. New one seems more traditional wedding- like.

I thought you wanted a more unconventional feel?

I think the first one suits your colours better too.

I see all white and crystals working in the second one.

I admit i like the second one better, but thats because my own venue looks a lot like this:

http://www.roomforromance.com/romantic-hotels/united-kingdom/bath/ston-easton-park

So thats hardly surprising!

How long do you have to decide? Will you lose a deposit if you change?

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
I think you could still do copper/bronze/champagne with the new blue color scheme. I haven't attached a photo in a long time, so hopefully this works:

Don't worry about the floor. No one ever notices the floor color.

blue-gold-beige-wedding-inspiration-board.jpg

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to say love it! I love seeing other Philly brides!

lexie25

Rough_Rock
Your new venue IS out of this world!!! Its absolutely breathtaking :love:

SWITCH!!!!! :appl:

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
rosetta|1304946181|2916129 said:
Old venue seems all quirky and cool. New one seems more traditional wedding- like.

I thought you wanted a more unconventional feel?

I think the first one suits your colours better too.

I see all white and crystals working in the second one.

I admit i like the second one better, but thats because my own venue looks a lot like this:

http://www.roomforromance.com/romantic-hotels/united-kingdom/bath/ston-easton-park

So thats hardly surprising!

How long do you have to decide? Will you lose a deposit if you change?

It *is* quirky and cool butttt its small and I wonder if its TOO small. I want a lot of room....the other one has a lot of room. It isn't going to feel "stuffy."

Part of the reason we're keeping the ceremony site is because it has the same feel as the original venue---very 'charming.'

I don't mind not having the ceremony site not match in terms of "feel" with the venue...in fact, I actually like that.

I have A LOT of crystal involvement in my wedding.

FI was very opposed to "hall" weddings so when he saw the second and said he didn't feel like a typical "hall" and that the structure of it was unusual since it combines a very modern feel with an old fashioned feel with all of the columns, he really wanted it. Everyone else was in agreement with him in those terms.

Love your venue.

I'm going to talk to my planner today.

Lexie- Wish it was so easy!

Kitty- Those colors look AWESOME together, thank you for an awesome picture to get my inspiration back

slg47

Ideal_Rock
do you have the square footage and the number of people?

anyway...no question for me, LOVE the 2nd venue. do you think you can move it to TX???

and LOVE the pics that kitty posted! sometimes you just need to 'see' it.

also, with the old venue, would it all be in one room? I know your FI is opposed to hall weddings BUT I think it...kinda works for a reason. I heard from some friends who went to a wedding in a 'quirky' venue that it was awkward since they couldn't really see everything. So, just something to consider.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
slg47|1304958540|2916321 said:
do you have the square footage and the number of people?

anyway...no question for me, LOVE the 2nd venue. do you think you can move it to TX???

and LOVE the pics that kitty posted! sometimes you just need to 'see' it.

also, with the old venue, would it all be in one room? I know your FI is opposed to hall weddings BUT I think it...kinda works for a reason. I heard from some friends who went to a wedding in a 'quirky' venue that it was awkward since they couldn't really see everything. So, just something to consider.

Not sure about sq footable for the 2nd or 1st venue. We're having between 80-100...I know the first one can hold like 90 or something. But it would be a bit tight. The 1st venue is divided up into 3 rooms...which is a bit of a downfall. FI's brother had his wedding in a mansion that was divided into rooms and I think that was the only downfall of the wedding--people were stuck sitting in the "rooms" and it was kinda....awkward.

He thinks it works for some reason too, we all do. Its weird. I can't put my finger on it.

I can move it to TX for you :)

I know the 2nd venue can fit 160.

We're having "stations" for our dinner so it would give plenty of room for the big set up.

Another plus is that since our caterer is the exclusive one for the 2nd venue they have EVERYTHING they need to make that food. Original venue doesn't have a kitchen so the food would have to be made nearby, off premisis and we'd have to rent them some sort of tent for that. Its a weird situation.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1304913546|2915953 said:
Thank you!!! I love my ceremony place too! We just took some engagement pics there!

Sorry- I posted that remark about seeing pictures of the inside of the new one the same time you posted the pictures@! I have to say, I do LOVE the new site... do they guarentee that it will be all finished in time? I really like the higher ceilings, and more open feel. Although your original site is very lovely and "homey" feeling, so it depends on what you want. I would lean towards #2- UNLESS there will be a lot of extra cost making it too much of a stretch (I know the lighting in place #1 would make they about the same, but then you are talking about the logistics of shuttle people around from one site to another, traffic.... timing, added transportation cost etc.)

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling|1304960541|2916368 said:
Autumnovember|1304913546|2915953 said:

Sorry- I posted that remark about seeing pictures of the inside of the new one the same time you posted the pictures@! I have to say, I do LOVE the new site... do they guarentee that it will be all finished in time? I really like the higher ceilings, and more open feel. Although your original site is very lovely and "homey" feeling, so it depends on what you want. I would lean towards #2- UNLESS there will be a lot of extra cost making it too much of a stretch (I know the lighting in place #1 would make they about the same, but then you are talking about the logistics of shuttle people around from one site to another, traffic.... timing, added transportation cost etc.)

I think at the end, it'll even out. Since I found out that we'd have to pay for the tent that they would be cooking under and I'm sure its not too cheap. So that would be the equivalent of the trolley's we would rent out.

We'll see...sigh. I hate decisions.

It doesn't help that my mom hates #1.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE the new place!
Absolutely stunning.

The original location looks like it may be a bit cramped (especially if you've got closer to 100!), but it is charming (it is nice, warm feeling, inviting). I like the cozy, romantic feeling it has.

The 2nd would obviously provide a lot more space to spread out (which might be a huge help with your food stations) and your colors would look great there too! (great pics kitty!!!) Plus the lighting is already in place. Another benefit here is that your food quality would likely be better (since they don't have to do prep off site and work in a tent).

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember|1304913288|2915946 said:
Oh and I feel like a total nut job because honestly, none of this wedding stuff has been getting to me at all and we're almost a year into planning. Up until this very moment I've been fine but I feel like crying. Well, I am. ha I feel like a loser!

oh no! autumn *hugs*

these weddings can be so stressful...so many details! it can make you go insane! honestly sometimes I am flabbergasted at how much the wedding industry has exploded in the last 10-20 years or so and now every little detail has 10000s of choices and 10000s of price points and...GAAAAH!

but at the end of the day you will be married to your FI :) :) that is the important thing!

getting excited

Shiny_Rock
Wow! That second location is exquisite!! I would say switch to that if you can :) I am not a big fan of "ballroom" weddings either, but that room has some wow factor. It does not look like the cookie cutter hall! And I think teh biggest factor leaning me towards the second choice is that you don't have to split people up into different rooms. I really don't like going to weddings that are split up. If you are seated in the room without hte bride and groom, you miss all the fun stuff!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
How many guests are you having?

One thing to keep in mind, it's usually a better "party" if it's a little too small, than a little too big. Think of a dance floor- if it feels and looks packed, it seems really fun. The same number of people can seem paltry in one space, and exciting in another.

I love the new venue, but just wanted to throw that thought into the mix.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
OUpeargirl|1304999236|2917026 said:

One thing to keep in mind, it's usually a better "party" if it's a little too small, than a little too big. Think of a dance floor- if it feels and looks packed, it seems really fun. The same number of people can seem paltry in one space, and exciting in another.

Very good point, OU! I love the new space and think it would definitely be more glamorous, but it is harder to make a big space feel full.

ETA you could always set the tables up in a way that leaves a slightly smaller dance floor to get the feeling of a full house!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1304999967|2917040 said:
OUpeargirl|1304999236|2917026 said:

Very good point, OU! I love the new space and think it would definitely be more glamorous, but it is harder to make a big space feel full.

ETA you could always set the tables up in a way that leaves a slightly smaller dance floor to get the feeling of a full house!

yes, I think it is better to have 8 to a table than to cram 10 or 12 and have people feel like they can't move! you can definitely arrange tables in such a way that the space is more 'filled'.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results