shape
carat
color
clarity

Vendors that have platinum options for posts - pearl studs

NewBling123

Rough_Rock
Hi! I was hoping that you could help me. I'm thinking of ordering a set of pearl stud earrings (most likely akoya.) Due to metal sensitivities, I'm looking for a vendor that offers platinum posts. I've looked through the vendor sticky list, but I'm having trouble finding a vendor that shows pricing for platinum posts. Do any of you have any suggestions? Is is the kind of thing where I order from a vendor like Pearl Paradise with drill holes but no posts and have another jeweler put on the posts?

Thank you!!!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or you could request platinum findings from PP or another vendor, and they could order them from their suppliers. I would ask first. Also find out if that would make it a custom order and possibly not returnable.

Last edited:

NewBling123

Rough_Rock
Or you could request platinum findings from PP or another vendor, and they could order them from their suppliers. I would ask first. Also find out if that would make it a custom order and possibly not returnable.

Thank you! I sent PP a message last Friday and they got back to me today with the price of platinum posts. Thank you for the suggestion to ask if that would make it a custom order. I'll be sure to ask before I place an order. I looked around more and it looks like American Pearl has the option for platinum posts for certain products, but their prices seem higher than other vendors.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi. If you are in America your allergy is probably to the nickel which some American manufacturers still use to make the metal parts of jewellery. (beware because even if the nickel is not on the surface of some items it can be inside - some vermeil has a layer of nickel between the silver and the gold plating, so an item will be fine at first then after some years, when the gold wears away, there you are,with an inexplicable rash)
In Europe nickel is banned because of this problem so what you possibly need are European Union compliant findings (even silver might be okay, or you could consider fine silver, which is silver with nothing else added, or 24ct gold).

NewBling123

Rough_Rock
Hi. If you are in America your allergy is probably to the nickel which some American manufacturers still use to make the metal parts of jewellery. (beware because even if the nickel is not on the surface of some items it can be inside - some vermeil has a layer of nickel between the silver and the gold plating, so an item will be fine at first then after some years, when the gold wears away, there you are,with an inexplicable rash)
In Europe nickel is banned because of this problem so what you possibly need are European Union compliant findings (even silver might be okay, or you could consider fine silver, which is silver with nothing else added, or 24ct gold).

Thanks for your suggestion. I was able to wear white and yellow gold without any issues until about 8 years ago after my first pregnancy. After that, I started reacting to all my jewelry. So bizarre! I tried different metals and my earlobes would turn bright red and burn. I even tried a pink gold Cartier ring and my fingers turned black where it touched. Maybe it was the copper? I switched everything to platinum and never had any more issues. Isn't that a sad Pricescoper story? :lol:

Off the top of your head, do you know any companies that have confirmed nickel free yellow gold?

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Any company which complies with EU law - you need to ask if they comply with the EU nickel reg. If they reply 'what's that' ? they probably aren't compliant
Or any company actually in the EU since we have to comply
You could also ask a jeweller maker to make something in fine silver or 24 carat or borrow or buy some to try

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here in the UK we also have platinum plated sterling silver,which I don’t have a sensitivity problem with.=)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results