shape
carat
color
clarity

Vendors say origin of ruby, but GIA report doesn't?

Jamie_c_l

Rough_Rock
I have noticed a lot of vendors say the origin of the rubies, but then the GIA report says "Geographic origin not requested".
So how do I know where the ruby is from?
Would you guys purchase a ruby with GIA report with no mention of origin?

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Any lab report that gives an origin is really a very educated guess based on the gem's characteristics and things such as inclusions and chemical composition. Since a lab sees so many gems, many often have verifiable origins because they've been traced from mine to lab. They can safely estimate where a stone with inclusions that are specific to one location is, and they will give that as the origin.

For instance, Loliondo is famous for it's "sugar" inclusions in Spessartite, which can give an orange garnet a nice glow, because the tiny bubble inclusions will diffuse light through the stone. If a lab sees those types of inclusions, it's an immediate clue that it's probably from Loliondo.

Does the origin really matter? Probably not unless you're looking for a pedigreed stone and it's important to you.

Otherwise? It's debatable. Muzo emeralds, Burmese rubies, Paraiba tourmaline, Kashmir sapphires? Probably a good idea to have an origin report.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
I would not pay a premium price for location unless it was certified by a reputable lab. Provenance is important, but unless they can prove it through a third party, it isn't real.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results