shape
carat
color
clarity

Vendors for quality Edison necklace?

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I'm thinking about an Edison 16" necklace. Of course, I'd rather have gem quality but for now that will have to wait. Do you have a fav vendor? And how do I judge an Edison - shape, pitting, contrast and luster? I'm thinking 10-12mm or maybe 9mm graduating to 12mm.
Thanks in advance -

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You judge Edison the same as any pearl... Shape lustre complexion . Unlike South Sea which have increased 30-50% wholesale in the past two years , Freshwater prices seem fairly consistent, even dropping down a bit. That said, the more perfect the pearls the higher the price.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Thoughts on these strands...? I'm looking for lighter mix and luster but not ringed.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait - so you’re looking for either Edisons or Tahitians? Is it a specific colour you want?

Last edited:

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Wait - so you’re looking for either Edisons or Tahitians? Is it a specific colour you want?

Well, both :) I like Tahitians on everyone else, except me. But I do like the grey/silver Tahitians, which seem harder to find. Edisons - a creamy white. But I'm not wanting to spend a lot of money right now. I just need something to fill that nagging "want", haha.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, both :) I like Tahitians on everyone else, except me. But I do like the grey/silver Tahitians, which seem harder to find. Edisons - a creamy white. But I'm not wanting to spend a lot of money right now. I just need something to fill that nagging "want", haha.

Hah. I hear you. :bigsmile:

I should confess that I did ask about the metallic FW necklace I linked earlier, but since I posted it for you you get dibs unless you don't want it!! It's not an Edison strand (AFAIK?). Just one I thought was pretty, reminded me a bit of your champagne golds :love:

Katbran had an Edison strand a while ago that I thought was WSS. Like, didn't even question it, other than to mentally note that "okay she does WSS too" since I'd mostly seen FW on her feed; Turns out it wasn't WSS, it was white Edisons :lol: Maybe find out what she has available, or if CMW has any whites that aren't posted on their site?

I struggle with light coloured Tahitians. I admit!! I remember when "white Tahitians" were really hot on the other forum, a few years ago. Most of the strands were baroque and they had some really nifty streaking, but light-bodied Tahitians just aren't as contrasty as nice FW. I feel like a nice FW strand should be doable for <$1000, too...

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Hah. I hear you. :bigsmile:

I should confess that I did ask about the metallic FW necklace I linked earlier, but since I posted it for you you get dibs unless you don't want it!! It's not an Edison strand (AFAIK?). Just one I thought was pretty, reminded me a bit of your champagne golds :love:

Katbran had an Edison strand a while ago that I thought was WSS. Like, didn't even question it, other than to mentally note that "okay she does WSS too" since I'd mostly seen FW on her feed; Turns out it wasn't WSS, it was white Edisons :lol: Maybe find out what she has available, or if CMW has any whites that aren't posted on their site?

I struggle with light coloured Tahitians. I admit!! I remember when "white Tahitians" were really hot on the other forum, a few years ago. Most of the strands were baroque and they had some really nifty streaking, but light-bodied Tahitians just aren't as contrasty as nice FW. I feel like a nice FW strand should be doable for <$1000, too...

Thanks for thinking of me - while I see the beauty in the Tahitians, they look awful on me. But I wear a lot black, grey and white and I've always wanted a silvery mix strand. Of course it had to be decent quality. Oh well. I will give a look at some Freshwaters. That's something I haven't explored much. But in no way, would that ever fill the void of the WSS strand I WILL get someday. Just after I upgrade my ER. :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't let me put you off anything you think you'll love!! Maybe a light pendant or earrings first? As a less expensive purchase to see if you like the genre?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't let me put you off anything you think you'll love!! Maybe a light pendant or earrings first? As a less expensive purchase to see if you like the genre?

Oops. Copy/paste fail. I linked the CMW return policy - it doesn’t look like returns are an option once drilled unless there’s something wrong, so for myself I would definitely make a less pricey purchase first to try the pearl type out ❤️

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Oops. Copy/paste fail. I linked the CMW return policy - it doesn’t look like returns are an option once drilled unless there’s something wrong, so for myself I would definitely make a less pricey purchase first to try the pearl type out ❤️
Agree. I looked at pearls for hours last night. What bothers me the most, is trying to find a decent quality. But not fully trusting what I'm reading or seeing on many of these mainstream pearl sites. Color and luster are at the top of my list. I can deal with off-round and a few blemishes. You are spot on, I need to test the waters to see what I want.
For some reason, I am drawn to this bracelet below. I like the mix of pearls, it just looks so feminine. But I don't need it - I barely wear my gorgeous champagne SS that Andrew put together for me. But I do love it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Agree. I looked at pearls for hours last night. What bothers me the most, is trying to find a decent quality. But not fully trusting what I'm reading or seeing on many of these mainstream pearl sites. Color and luster are at the top of my list. I can deal with off-round and a few blemishes. You are spot on, I need to test the waters to see what I want.
For some reason, I am drawn to this bracelet below. I like the mix of pearls, it just looks so feminine. But I don't need it - I barely wear my gorgeous champagne SS that Andrew put together for me. But I do love it.

we have some really great pearl princess ( and princes) here on PS, who i all greatly admire, but if there was to be one pearl empress, its Yssie because she really knows her stuff
you can trust her judgement and knowledge and opinion, i certainly will one day when i can make a big pearl purchase
Yssie has helped countless greatful people buy beautiful pearls around these here parts

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Okay so hear me out...

This is super cheap and Pearl Paradise has a really generous return policy (if you're in the US)... And it's light-bodied, AAA, and has the colour/warmth that you're drawn to... Maybe worth a look?

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
It is pretty and I love the color. (why am I drawn to that !! ). Holding out for something that makes me say "that one". I am going to call PP tomorrow. 2nd option is top Freshwater, graduated to 12mm. 18" I'm determined to have a nice strand that I will wear often. I have 3 FW strands H bought in China ages ago. But I'm not sure I'd wear them in public - they look like little shiny plastic balls. :)

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
I have a virtual appt. with PP tomorrow - fingers crossed!

Good luck! I didn't do a virtual appointment with them when I was looking for 3 Tahitian pearls for my mom, but they emailed me a variety of options and were incredibly helpful. They dug through their vault for me and I'm just pleased as punch with what they found. Hope it goes well for you!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a virtual appt. with PP tomorrow - fingers crossed!

Awesome!! Please share what you decide!! Pearl Paradise’s SAs are super helpful ❤️

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I will! Thanks all .......

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Ok .... I had a fantastic virtual appt with Makenna at PP. She had 2 options for me based on what I asked for. (Top grade, Freshwater, top luster, 18" or so. 10-12mm)

One option was an Edison strand graduated up to 14mm. It was nice. She explained the rippling to me but I struggled to see it. The luster was nice but I wanted more.

Option 2 was a Freshadama, 18" 10-11mm. From what I could tell, decent quality.
I asked Makenna to put on both strands. That helps so much. The Edisons were just too big. The Freshadama strand looked to be easy to wear and versatile. So she is putting them on hold for me - I'll think about it for a few days.
Thoughts??? And the price will drop next week. The strand is on the right FE691BFD-2CE8-4B38-8D4B-179EC0E24D1C_1_105_c.jpeg

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Is the right hand strand round ? Do you mind if they are off round ? You might just ask them about that if it matters to you.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Is the right hand strand round ? Do you mind if they are off round ? You might just ask them about that if it matters to you.

they are round - I asked.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The nice thing about Pearl Paradise is that if you aren’t in love with them when you get them you can return. Safe trial, IMO.

I’m just going to drop this link here as another option. Since you did originally want Edisons like Baby Nurse’s.

9AAD4C46-7E27-4855-894E-B105E86610E9.png

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
The nice thing about Pearl Paradise is that if you aren’t in love with them when you get them you can return. Safe trial, IMO.

I’m just going to drop this link here as another option. Since you did originally want Edisons like Baby Nurse’s.

9AAD4C46-7E27-4855-894E-B105E86610E9.png

Oh wow - those are awesome.I pulled the trigger on the PP pearls - but we shall see what they look like. I should have them next week

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow - those are awesome.I pulled the trigger on the PP pearls - but we shall see what they look like. I should have them next week

Can't wait to hear your thoughts!! This is perfect, if you love it great, if you don't no harm done!

Reactions: Ann

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I did get the PP pearls. But I haven't opened them - waiting for Christmas. My fingers are crossed I really like them. It is already bugging me that they are not the best of the best - which in my book would be either large stunning Akoya's or beautiful South Seas. But these are PP's Freshadama's and they did look nice in the virtual appt. I had with them. Gorgeous pearls and replacing my ER diamond are tops on my list.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did get the PP pearls. But I haven't opened them - waiting for Christmas. My fingers are crossed I really like them. It is already bugging me that they are not the best of the best - which in my book would be either large stunning Akoya's or beautiful South Seas. But these are PP's Freshadama's and they did look nice in the virtual appt. I had with them. Gorgeous pearls and replacing my ER diamond are tops on my list.

Oh! I was going to say you’ll HAVE to open them before Christmas to be sure to inspect before your return policy is up but I see Pearl Paradise has 90 days! I’m trying to come up with another reason you need to not wait to open them :bigsmile:

These *are* the best of the best freshwaters! But I understand the mental pearl type ordering. I do it too. I hope you love these and get tons of wear from them!! :love: And y’know, no reason one couldn’t get a second strand one day, one that’s bigger or longer or a slightly different colour or non-graduated or more-graduated or… ::)

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Oh! I was going to say you’ll HAVE to open them before Christmas to be sure to inspect before your return policy is up but I see Pearl Paradise has 90 days! I’m trying to come up with another reason you need to not wait to open them :bigsmile:

These *are* the best of the best freshwaters! But I understand the mental pearl type ordering. I do it too. I hope you love these and get tons of wear from them!! :love: And y’know, no reason one couldn’t get a second strand one day, one that’s bigger or longer or a slightly different colour or non-graduated or more-graduated or… ::)

I've pretty much told myself I have to like them - I just don't have the energy to deep dive into a pearl hunt right now. They were not cheap and definitely way more $$ than most freshwater strands. If they are what I have in my head, then I will wear them often. Just today I was in Tiffany's. Their lone Akoya 7mm necklace looked so sad :) I struggled to see what was so great about it. But they did have a SS pendant that was oh so sweet! But I have one - need to pull that baby out and wear it. My next strand might be pale gray and long.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG. Well - I really hope you love them because they turn out to be wonderful, not just because you feel like you've got to! Fingers are crossed for you, I hope they're what you're seeing in your head!!!

Tiffany pearls are SO overpriced, but I like some of their designs a lot and I love the lighting - the reflections make the pearls look like they're grinning at you... Big wide emoticon-esque grins :bigsmile: That always makes me smile. Is your SS pendant white? How big is the pearl? You could wear it with your new strand, mixed pearl neck layers are soooo luxe :love:

Pale grey and long... A winter sweater strand... :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results