shape
carat
color
clarity

Vendor Review: WildFish Gems

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
I wanted to leave a positive review for this vendor, who I was directed to on this board when inquiring about fair trade vendors.

I recently made a purchase; WildFish gems has been good to work with and prompt to respond to communications. I love the business philosophy and feel that Ed is both very professional and customer-service oriented, aiming to please and keep customers. I would absolutely buy from them again.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Delighted, and not surprised to hear of your good experience.
May we, ahem, see the pics? :naughty:

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
I do not have any pics yet, as I don't have the stone yet. :)

I will post when I get it. I'm hoping on putting it in a lotus by Sally.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear you found a stone -- and Sally's a great one to set it. Ed is super to work with, isn't he? Good choices all around -- can't wait to see pics of the finished prize!

--- Laurie

saracen

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum since I'm looking for an engagement ring for my girl-friend. I was looking for a padparadscha sapphire and found wildfish gems (Ed Bristol) online. He sounds like a fair and decent person, but I'm very skeptical of sending $15,000 or more to someone overseas (I'm in the US) without any type of insurance. Is there any way to do this with some type of security? What have been some of your experiences? I know the last post on this was from 2012.

Thanks all!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
saracen|1402059966|3687708 said:
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum since I'm looking for an engagement ring for my girl-friend. I was looking for a padparadscha sapphire and found wildfish gems (Ed Bristol) online. He sounds like a fair and decent person, but I'm very skeptical of sending $15,000 or more to someone overseas (I'm in the US) without any type of insurance. Is there any way to do this with some type of security? What have been some of your experiences? I know the last post on this was from 2012.

Thanks all!

You should also check into returns as well. If you need to send the stone back, is there an easy way to do so, and can it be insured on the way back?

I personally wouldn't send any money to anyone, nor would I try to obtain a refund if necessary, without any kind of insurance on the stone, especially THAT kind of money.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I'm sure Ed would be happy to insure the stone for shipping, if that's what you mean. You might have to pay for it, but I can't see any problem with asking him to do it. His stones usually come with AGL gem briefs & I'm sure one that expensive would have at least a brief. You might ask him to get a more in-depth report that gives more info so that valuation would be more accurate if you needed to make an insurance claim.

saracen

Shiny_Rock
Sorry for the confusion. With 'insurance' I meant me being protected from losing all my money and not getting a stone. Not the stone being lost in transit, etc. I'm sure the latter will be covered.

I guess in the end, I'm trying to get some consensus here on the forum of being able to trust this vendor with my 15K.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
saracen|1402061205|3687722 said:
Sorry for the confusion. With 'insurance' I meant me being protected from losing all my money and not getting a stone. Not the stone being lost in transit, etc. I'm sure the latter will be covered.

I guess in the end, I'm trying to get some consensus here on the forum of being able to trust this vendor with my 15K.

I would double check with Ed. I could be wrong, but I spoke with a customer of his in the past, and he wouldn't allow her to insure the stones she purchased from him that she wanted to return. Maybe he changed his policies.

That would be my biggest worry of all, because while the stone is in transit to you, he's responsible for it safely getting to you. If you have to return it, that would be your responsibility.

Registered mail is the safest way to send a gem.

saracen

Shiny_Rock
Thanks TL. I would think that 'not insuring' it is mainly due to the costs involved for him (customs, etc.). I think if I had to return it, I would probably fly it myself. As much as it costs, it would give me peace of mind to get it to him safely.

Other than that, you wouldn't have any issues buying from him?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
saracen|1402061578|3687729 said:
Thanks TL. I would think that 'not insuring' it is mainly due to the costs involved for him (customs, etc.). I think if I had to return it, I would probably fly it myself. As much as it costs, it would give me peace of mind to get it to him safely.

Other than that, you wouldn't have any issues buying from him?

I can't comment because I never bought anything from him before. I will only say that if you're getting a fairly expensive padparadcha, I would want an AGL report indicating its a true padparadcha. I don't think another lab report, like AIGS, TGL, or others will do. I don't know the size, but unless its really huge, I would hope it's unheated for that price. I also don't know what the stone looks like, so I, nor others, cannot really comment on if you're getting a decent stone for that price.

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
TL|1402101737|3688204 said:
I don't think another lab report, like AIGS, TGL, or others will do. I don't know the size, but unless its really huge, I would hope it's unheated for that price. I also don't know what the stone looks like, so I, nor others, cannot really comment on if you're getting a decent stone for that price.

-Forgot to mention that I have heard of that lab before. I'm unsure how good it is, but if a piece cost a great deal of money, I would want a more major gem lab, like AIGS, and I like that their gem brief includes a photo of the stone.

So TL, what is your opinion of AIGS? Are they good enough or are there certain things or stones we need to be cautious about?
Cheers

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
eastjavaman|1402108812|3688273 said:
TL|1402101737|3688204 said:
I don't think another lab report, like AIGS, TGL, or others will do. I don't know the size, but unless its really huge, I would hope it's unheated for that price. I also don't know what the stone looks like, so I, nor others, cannot really comment on if you're getting a decent stone for that price.

-Forgot to mention that I have heard of that lab before. I'm unsure how good it is, but if a piece cost a great deal of money, I would want a more major gem lab, like AIGS, and I like that their gem brief includes a photo of the stone.

So TL, what is your opinion of AIGS? Are they good enough or are there certain things or stones we need to be cautious about?
Cheers

Padparadcha is a designation that I personally think is given more liberally by other labs. Therefore, I appreciate that AGL is very conservative in that, and they also use a LA-ICP-MS machine to detect diffusion, which is much more accurate than a LIBS, which is used by AIGS. Therefore, other than corundum, I think AIGS is acceptable. Personally though, for a very expensive colored gem, I would want an AGL, as they are the foremost lab for colored gemstones. Since padparadchas are one of the most commonly diffused colors (orangy pink), then I would appreciate the accuracy and conservative approach used by AGL.

cm366

Shiny_Rock
I have never bought from Ed, but I think it's very, very unlikely that he would abscond with your money. He's invested decades of his time and energy into building a business with a reputation for 'fair trade' dealing, and I don't think he'd want to risk that reputation for a million dollars, let alone $15k. If you're sufficiently concerned, you could ask him about using an escrow service like escrow.com, where they hold your money (he can see it but not touch it) until the deal is complete (usually the stone arriving to you), but there might be additional fees involved. Shipping insurance is good, AGL is better, in my opinion, than AIGS but I would trust the latter's identification of a stone as natural and unheated just as much - it's only in the fine points of describing colour quality that AGL has much of an edge.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cm366|1402121076|3688314 said:
I have never bought from Ed, but I think it's very, very unlikely that he would abscond with your money. He's invested decades of his time and energy into building a business with a reputation for 'fair trade' dealing, and I don't think he'd want to risk that reputation for a million dollars, let alone $15k. If you're sufficiently concerned, you could ask him about using an escrow service like escrow.com, where they hold your money (he can see it but not touch it) until the deal is complete (usually the stone arriving to you), but there might be additional fees involved. Shipping insurance is good, AGL is better, in my opinion, than AIGS but I would trust the latter's identification of a stone as natural and unheated just as much - it's only in the fine points of describing colour quality that AGL has much of an edge.

Sorry to go a little off track in this thread, but if you look at the bottom post in this other thread, you will see why LA-ICP-MS is recommended over LIBS, as some stones can fall through the cracks. Some gemologists can diagnostically check for diffusion, but this is not always the case. I would also go to GIA or one of the big Euro labs that can get a LA-ICP-MS machine to detect diffusion, but AGL is the one, at least to me, that has all the credit when it comes to defining what is a padapradcha. For that money, I wouldn't want anything less. Normally, I wouldn't be so paranoid, but orangy pink is one of the most diffused colors out there. Even vendors can get duped into getting diffused stones, or even synthetics. Some diffused stones do fall through the cracks with an LIBS machine, but more labs have access to one since they're much less expensive machines. Any REPUTABLE lab report is better than nothing of course. AIGS is a reputable lab, but I prefer AGL when it comes to corundum. I have used AIGS on many occasions for other gems. I always get corundum rechecked with AGL.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/slp-gem-laboratory.196727/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/slp-gem-laboratory.196727/page-2[/URL]

saracen

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all. I'm sure he's trustworthy but will ask him about escrow.com

Thanks TL for all the info on AGL. :)

cm366

Shiny_Rock
The stone can't be diffused without heating, and Ed sells exclusively unheated material. There's no practical difference between the two labs in their ability to detect heat treatment, and no point in using either LIBS or LA-ICP-MS to look for diffusion in an unheated stone.

Beyond that, it'd be interesting to see just how much more sensitive the mass spec is in practice. The difference between 2ppm and 0.1ppm is significant in terms of pure math, but I'd've thought you'd need a 'threshold' level of beryllium to improve the color significantly.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cm366|1402211653|3688719 said:
The stone can't be diffused without heating, and Ed sells exclusively unheated material. There's no practical difference between the two labs in their ability to detect heat treatment, and no point in using either LIBS or LA-ICP-MS to look for diffusion in an unheated stone.

Beyond that, it'd be interesting to see just how much more sensitive the mass spec is in practice. The difference between 2ppm and 0.1ppm is significant in terms of pure math, but I'd've thought you'd need a 'threshold' level of beryllium to improve the color significantly.

I understand that, but AGL, and GIA for that matter as well, has also determined stones that are not truly heated, by labs that state they are unheated. I've seen that happen on numerous occasions, and even with people that have purchased sapphires here.

Besides, we're talking padparadcha here, not just any gem. There are many issues regarding what is and what is not a padparadcha and many labs, especially the smaller ones, are more liberal in determining that criteria, and as for quality of any very expensive gem with an expensive marketing name, I trust AGL to determine the true quality of the stone and its origin. Sri Lankan padparadcha hold a higher premium than African or other locations. Some groups don't even consider a padparadcha a real padparadcha unless it comes from Sri Lanka.

The threshold of beryllium ppm can always change. I wouldn't be surprised with the ever advancing technology of gem treatments. I would personally want the most accurate machine. However, I think using AGL goes above and beyond just detection of beryllium as I stated in the prior paragraph. I personally wouldn't buy a padparadcha without an AGL gem brief at the very least, and I definitely wouldn't purchase an expensive one without a full AGL prestige report.

I don't advocate getting an AGL report in all cases however. I have used AIGS on numerous occasions and it has sufficed for me, but as I stated in another thread, these are the criteria for which I would obtain one. I will cut and paste it here.

I do like AGL for very expensive gems that have the following criteria associated with them.

1)a premium on their marketing name (padparadcha for example)
2)a premium on their origin,
3)potentially diffused (usually corundum) and other very difficult to detect treatment/synthetics.
4)have a high charge due to the premium and or marketing name designation, and you really need to know the quality of the gem as far as saturation, hue, tone, color change (when applicable), and clarity are concerned.

Bumese rubies, padparadcha sapphires, fine alexandrites, fine Colombian emeralds, and other sapphires with expensive origins (Burmese and Kashmir) are ideal candidates, especially if they're very expensive, for a FULL AGL prestige report.

People shouldn't run out and get an AGL prestige report on every gem, as it is very expensive, and not always fully necessary. I do think the AGL gem brief is a good value though. I've used that report on numerous gems, and it always ran me around $60 to $200 for various size gems and treatment detection. I have some of them for various sapphires I own.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Saracen,

Is it the 1.63 ct LI long cushion ( 8,61 x 5,32 mm) ???

saracen

Shiny_Rock
All (especially TL). I really appreciate all the detailed information. I think I will listen to you, TL, and get a full AGL report.

Marlow, it's not listed as of yet since it doesn't actually exist. He would go out and look for one in my budget once I give him the deposit. I'm sure everything will work out, but if something goes wrong, I'm not sure what recourse I will have with an overseas/unprotected purchase.

The stone you linked to from John J Bradshaw is exactly in my budget range. I'm wondering though, is that a pinkish-orange or just considered pink-orange (as stated).

Basically what I'm looking for is a beautiful 2+ carat Padparadscha in pinkish-orange 10-15K. I don't know many of the sellers. I liked that wildfishgems is also able to build the ring for me. Otherwise, I will find a local jeweler.

Thanks All!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
You see what you can get for 10 K.

Don' t pay to much.

saracen

Shiny_Rock
Marlow|1402250930|3688903 said:
You see what you can get for 10 K.

Don' t pay to much.

Understood. Hard to know if I am paying too much for someone that's completely new to this, but I'll probably post it before buying. ;-)

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Thats why this is a consumer forum!!! :appl:

There are enough stores with ( extremely ) overpriced stones out there.

Padparadscha is a difficult stone . A real challenge. For your money sou should get several pics in different light conditions and maybe a video.

saracen

Shiny_Rock
Marlow|1402252176|3688909 said:
Thats why this is a consumer forum!!! :appl:

There are enough stores with ( extremely ) overpriced stones out there.

Padparadscha is a difficult stone . A real challenge. For your money sou should get several pics in different light conditions and maybe a video.

I really, really, really appreciate all the help here. I will definitely get as much info as possible and post back here. I'm guessing there's a different thread/forum I should post in though. I think I've kind of derailed this one.

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
Hi Sara, Ed is legit, helpful, weird guy at times (the $52k ruby is the proof that he is weird by putting extra zero in the price tag) just like any of us. I have just completed a purchase from him, and I don't think he will run away with $15k, unlike me who will take off with a mere $15. :$$):

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results