shape
carat
color
clarity

vendor question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chanda2275

Rough_Rock
We went to a local jeweler and got a quote for a diamond that we were interested in. He had the stone with him and he gave us a copy of the GIA cert as well. He did say that he did not own it, but he got it from his broker. We did some comparison shopping online and we saw the identical stone (same GIA cert#) online for an average of about $800 less with 4 different online vendors. We went back to him and said that we saw the same stone and this is what he told us , "I was explaining is that what is online is not possible to buy that stone @ that price!You may see it but you cannot purchase it at that price!It is just a virtual inventory with unrealistic pricing.If you had seen the stone in person, how would it be possible to buy it from TWO different websites that do not have the stone!you found it stated on line that they could get it for you but they cannot get you that stone let alone sell it to you for that price. I will be honest with you,the price is absolutely right!I totally understand where you are coming from but I go through this with the internet on a daily basis!I have retail stores I sell to that have consumers come in with a print out from the net and it always is the case that the stone is not available and then the net tries to sell them something inferior for same price!"

Since we are new to this, is his answer accurate that this same stone would no way be that much lower that what he quoted us? Or is he just giving us some bs? He was not willing to negotiate at all. Thanks for any help.

Chanda

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Have you contacted the internet vendors to see if the stone is still available for the price they have it listed at?

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
i got my diamond for my e-ring from the internet... and just as you described it was listed on a few different vendors' sites and yet none of them are actually holding it... such stones i believe are from a general source where different vendors can access, and they sell it like a middle man (not sure if this term correctly decribes it here, but you get the point) at different prices taking into account other services they throw in with it...

for me as a consumer, this means i get to compare prices and services from different vendors and get the deal that i liked the best and not just from one person who says all and ends all.. also i get to choose my setting from a larger collection spreading across different vendors and not just what's available in one store...

there are of course a few instances when the online vendor cannot get you the stone at the published price.. 2 more common examples as follows: -

1) wrong pricing info - though we shouldn't be expecting this, somehow it seems to be happening every now and then, but compared to the total number of transactions that actually take place, i think the occurance should be quite infrequent..

2) someone else beat you to it - it is possible that someone else has his or her eyes on the same stone you are looking at, and had it put on hold or even bought it through one of the other vendors.. in this case, the rest of the vendors might not be updated to this info, and continue to advertise the stone (at least for a short period of time) as if it is still available, but when you asked for it, they will try to get it for you, realise its gone, and come back and tell you its no longer available... not a trick or a gimmick, just something that does happen sometimes...

in my opinion, rather than just listen to one side of the story, you should definitely do as swingirl suggested and call up the online vendor to check if he can get the stne for you... if he can, you save yourself $800 (which can get you a really nice setting) with a phone call... if not, you don't really lose anything...

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 10:24:21 PM
Author:chanda2275

Since we are new to this, is his answer accurate that this same stone would no way be that much lower that what he quoted us? Or is he just giving us some bs? He was not willing to negotiate at all. Thanks for any help.

i miss this part in my earlier reply..

for reference sake, i am from Singapore... and the average B&M price of diamonds here are a lot higher than what we commonly see on these online vendors...

and most of the B&Ms i went to before eventually buying from the internet have 2 pieces of wisdom to share..

1) "the internet is full of cheats and you should not buy from the internet, its as good as throwing your money away", and

2) "don''t worry, i personally guarantee you we''re giving you the best deal there is.."

and somehow many of these people who gave me these "advises" can''t even produce a GIA or AGS cert when I asked...

again, this is my experience and should be taken just for reference (who knows, I might''ve been really really unlucky with my B&M choices)..
1.gif

chanda2275

Rough_Rock
Blastdor, thanks for all your input. We have started this process about a month ago and the information out there is just overwhelming. But I''m getting more comfortable with buying online.

Swingirl, one of the vendors already came back to me and said that he contacted the diamond cutter and the diamond is still available.

Thanks.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 5:48:57 PM
Author: chanda2275
BSwingirl, one of the vendors already came back to me and said that he contacted the diamond cutter and the diamond is still available.

Thanks.
Then why don't you buy it from the vendor who has the price you like.

Of course, if you wanted some help with this stone or help finding another post your specs and budget. There is a lot to learn about buying diamonds and there is a lot of information to help you on PS plus opinions from folks who've done it before. It sounds like you are buying from a drop-shipper. But you say you've already seen the stone in person?

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
Most welcomed Chanda, and all the best to you for the hunt...

the most magical moment is when you open the box and see the little sparkly blinking at you for the very first time...
2.gif

chanda2275

Rough_Rock
Yes, I have seen the diamond in person and it is within the specs that we wanted and within our budget as well. We contacted the vendor and he will be shipping it to us for review as soon as we give it a go. All I need now is a good appraiser in NY/NJ area. Any suggestions?

chanda2275

Rough_Rock
Swingirl,
Here are the specs that I posted in an earlier post. The local guy said $4600, but we found it online for about $3800. Can anyone give me an opinion on this diamond? Much appreciated.

Shape: Round
Carat weight: 0.92
Cut: Very Good
Color: F
Clarity: SI1
Certificate: GIA
Depth: 62.1%
Table: 56%
Polish: EXCELLENT
Symmetry: VERY GOOD
Girdle: MEDIUM TO SLIGHTLY THICK
Culet: None
Fluorescence: NONE
Measurements: 6.20*6.26*3.87mm
Crown Angle: 36
Crown %: 16
Pavillion Angle:40.2
Pavillion %: 42

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/9/2009 10:24:21 PM
Author:chanda2275
We went to a local jeweler and got a quote for a diamond that we were interested in. He had the stone with him and he gave us a copy of the GIA cert as well. He did say that he did not own it, but he got it from his broker. We did some comparison shopping online and we saw the identical stone (same GIA cert#) online for an average of about $800 less with 4 different online vendors. We went back to him and said that we saw the same stone and this is what he told us , ''I was explaining is that what is online is not possible to buy that stone @ that price!You may see it but you cannot purchase it at that price!It is just a virtual inventory with unrealistic pricing.If you had seen the stone in person, how would it be possible to buy it from TWO different websites that do not have the stone!you found it stated on line that they could get it for you but they cannot get you that stone let alone sell it to you for that price. I will be honest with you,the price is absolutely right!I totally understand where you are coming from but I go through this with the internet on a daily basis!I have retail stores I sell to that have consumers come in with a print out from the net and it always is the case that the stone is not available and then the net tries to sell them something inferior for same price!''

Chanda
If he returns it to his broker someone can get it for you. since he knnows you are waiting for him to do that he may well decide to keep it. Then he will be totally correct that this stone is not available to any of the Internet dealers.

As for stones never being available, that is totally bogus. Especially with the vendors here.

Wink

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2009 5:17:17 PM
Swingirl,

Here are the specs that I posted in an earlier post. The local guy said $4600, but we found it online for about $3800. Can anyone give me an opinion on this diamond? Much appreciated.

Date: 2/11/2009 5:17:17 PM
Swingirl,

Sounds good.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results