shape
carat
color
clarity

Vendor pictures and owner pictures of PS stones

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
This thread is meant as a resource for all of us who buy online. Please post the vendor image(s) of your stone and personal pictures you took so we can all learn how stones bought online look in real life. Please include the vendor's name and any information you have on the stone if possible.

Set of three green tourmalines from ebay seller gemdd, estimated at 1ctw points. Color is very similar to vendor image. Darker stone is brilliant, but windowed. Would consider buying from again. First image is vendor image.

07l443.jpg

merctourm.jpg
merctourm4.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Barry Bridgestock cushion amethyst. 5.04 ct. 10 mm. This stone was very true to its picture color-wise. I've bought from Barry many times, and will continue to do so
1.gif
I've been nothing but happy with everything I've gotten from him. Vendor pic is the last one

BEGBBAmethystCollage.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Barry Bridgestock Green Tourmaline, cut in a supernova oval. Color is a little lighter in direct sunlight but overall pretty close to the picture. Cutting is superb. 2.07 ct. 8.5 x 7.2 mm

BEGBBGreenTourmalineOvalCollage.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Barry Bridgestock green tourmaline 1.18 ct. 6.5 mm. VERY similar in color - a little darker in real life but barely noticeable.

BEGBBGreenTourmalineRoundCollage.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Barry Bridgestock Bekily Malaya garnet. 1.34 ct. 6.5 mm. LOVE this stone. Barry told me it had this strange color shift from pink to peachy in sunlight. It really does - indoors it''s quite pink, next to the window it''s peachy-pink and in direct sunlight it goes golden. Hard to capture the effect though but it is sparkly!

BEGBBMalayaCollage.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Barry took the picture all the way to the left, and it was a bad picture, and really looks nothing like the stone. He even said so. The only good thing about that picture was that the stone wasn''t scooped up right away. He then took a much more accurate color corrected picture in the middle, and that sold me on the stone. The picture to the right is my blurry, but accurate picture.

manyfacesofmalaya.JPG

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Barry Bridgestock blue spinel. 2.41 ct. 8.1 mm. It's a color changer. The pictures really don't do this stone justice. It's a bright sparkly blue in sunlight and under fluorescent light it's a rich bright purple. Lighter and brighter than in the pics.

BEGBBSpinelCollage.jpg

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Dan Stair Jr. blue spinel
Shifts to pink/lavender in incandescent light. Darker than vendor picture but with lots of brilliance. Top image is vendor image.

mercspinelmontage.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Barry Bridgestock colorless (achroite) tourmaline. 2.5 ct. 8.5 mm. This stone is a bit warmer than in the pic although in direct sunlight, it looks very colorless, and pretty much exactly like the color in the picture. It picks up color from its surroundings pretty easily though.

BEGBBWhiteTourmalineCollage.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gene of Precisiongem.com Afghan mint tourmaline (vendor picture on left)

facesofafghantourm.JPG

AnthroMoon

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately, I do not have any stones to add but I wanted to thank you for starting this thread. This makes it much easier to shop online!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Dan Stair grossular garnet. 0.65 ct. 5.55 mm. This one is more yellow than the vendor picture (to the right) shows. It comes close to the vendor pic in direct sunlight but there is a definite warmth/yellow tone to it. More pronounced indoors.

BEGDSGrossularCollage.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The horrible ebay vendor pic on the left (vallejo916) and my pic on the right.

vallejorubellite.JPG

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Dan Stair sapphire 0.82 ct. 5.52 mm. This sapphire is much darker in real life than in the vendor pic. It can give up really pretty blue flashes but the light needs to be pretty strong. In ordinary lighting and especially indoors it is VERY dark.

BEGDSSapphireCollage.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 4:42:14 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Gene of Precisiongem.com Afghan mint tourmaline (vendor picture on left)
That''s just gorgeous TL, another glowing stone. I''m having a very blue/green day today, fall-out from all those paraibas at the weekend!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Dan Stair umbalite garnet. 1.98 ct. 7 mm. This stone is actually darker and redder than in the pic - I rarely see pink in it. It is very sparkly and gives off great flashes of light, indoors and out.

BEGDSUmbaliteCollage.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BB Garnet.

BBGarnetTL5.JPG

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Round, blue spinel, Barry, 1.2cts, 6.5mm

Vendor pics are on the left. There is a significant color shift, and I can't capture the purple as well as Barry did.

Ering spinel collage.jpg

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Wow...those Dan Stair pics are definitely much lighter in the vendor pics than in person. Beautiful (of course) but did you feel mislead when you opened the package?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Barion Amethyst, medium purple, Cynthia Stair, 3.95cts, 9.08mm

Amethyst collage freke.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh! I''ve never seen so many pretty colored stones! I wish I could have one of each! Truly stunning colors
36.gif

BTW - this thread is very helpful - Thanks

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeff White blue/green Afghan tourmaline. Middle pic in incandescents and right side in sunlight. This is a very dichroic stone.

jwafghantourm.JPG

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 4:56:48 PM
Author: Jelly
Wow...those Dan Stair pics are definitely much lighter in the vendor pics than in person. Beautiful (of course) but did you feel mislead when you opened the package?
Actually, yes. The amethyst I just posted was NOT what I expected at all. I wanted a light purple, and that''s not what I got. Therefore I don''t have plans to get this set, and don''t really know what I''m going to do with it....

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cushion, Gray, Dan Stair, 1.07cts, 5.94 x 6.56mm

Spinel collage black.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Round, Pink spinel, Barry, .65 ct., 5.2mm round brilliant. This medium/light lavender spinel is from Tunduru, Tanzania. It is better than eyeclean and quite bright

Spinel pink collage.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
2.6ct indicolite tourmaline from gemline inc. Vendor pic on the left.

24003.jpg
kiz-bluetourm7.jpg
kiz-bluetourm3.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awful, super photoshopped 6 carat violet cuprian from ebay. I took a chance since it had a GIT memo and I got it for a few hundred. Not bad for a rare color. It does have a lot of blue in it. The vendor photo is definitely more purple.

One of my best ebay experiences.

violetcuprianebay.JPG

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
This stone was rather disappointing as well because of the color discrepancy between vendor photo and real life.

Round, Blue spinel, Dan Stair, 1.28cts, 6.4mm

Spinel collage blue dan stair.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

Yes but only for the sapphire. That one was just really different from the vendor pic. I''m really happy with my garnets though, plus with my grossular I knew it would be a bit darker than the pic so I wasn''t surprised.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 4:58:50 PM
Author: FrekeChild

Actually, yes. The amethyst I just posted was NOT what I expected at all. I wanted a light purple, and that's not what I got. Therefore I don't have plans to get this set, and don't really know what I'm going to do with it....
Why didn't you return it?

The customgems (stair) pics really seem a LOT lighter than the real thing. Not sure I could buy from them for that reason...doesn't seem representative at ALL.

ETA, BB's pics seem pretty good.

Great idea for a thread! Wish I could post the only example that I have, but since I don't own the stone, I can't!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results