shape
carat
color
clarity

Vendor Communication Lapse?

cookiebuttermonster

Rough_Rock
Hey folks! Does anyone know if there is big gem show or similar happening now? I was mid-conversation with two different PS vendors, and haven't heard back from either of them in two weeks. I sent a follow-up email to one of them last week, no response. Last week I sent an inquiry to a third PS vendor, and haven't heard back from her either. They've all been posting to Instagram regularly, so I'm not sure what's going on. :|

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If one of them is Caysie, she is swamped right now. It is high season for wedding jewelry.

cookiebuttermonster

Rough_Rock
That must be it! It was so strange because I was receiving responses from the original 2 once a day and things were going swimmingly, then boom radio silence. Figured it had to be something industry-wide. Guess I'll sit on my hands and be patient a bit longer. :saint:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait a few days and try again. I know Caysie has been really busy because she hand makes her scrolling bands, and bands are in demand for June weddings right now! She is making a setting for my asscher and I didn't realize I landed smack in high season!!!

cookiebuttermonster

Rough_Rock
Me either! I've been working with her on and off since December, family and health stuff on my end have been delaying the project. Just recently started up again, hopefully for good this time lol. And I'm wanting to consign one of my other stones, so that's where the other vendors come in.

I was wondering what the etiquette for this would be. What is the line between being a high maintenance pest, and being assertive and ensuring you don't fall through the cracks. :lol:

I heard back from one of the original vendors this afternoon, so yay! Guess I'll send a follow-up to the other later this week?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All I can say is that I've been there and it's hard! Good luck - I hope they get back to you soon :)

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JCK and AGTA gem shows in Vegas are coming up in early June, many vendors may be busy prepping for this show.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Check your spam filter/folder

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was wondering what the etiquette for this would be. What is the line between being a high maintenance pest, and being assertive and ensuring you don't fall through the cracks. :lol:
First, I'd say the problem is theirs, not yours. Dropping off without an explanation is unprofessional. Period. Sending a mass email to clients saying "I'm very sorry but I will be out of touch for the next two weeks while I finish up some pressing projects/prepare for a jewelry show/whatever" would go very far to allay confused/hurt/angry feelings that can arise from these situations. So don't worry about appearing a "high maintenance pest." This is their issue, not yours.

As for how to word it, I always prefer the direct route. "Here is what you said I could expect, here is what has happened. This is causing problems for me. How soon can it get back on track and what needs to be done to make that happen?"

Good luck. I was there too. I handled it like I wrote about above and now we have an understanding and a new plan.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of our vendors work alone and have an incredibly heavy workload. I have experienced communication delays with several, but I like them and understand that they may be overwhelmed. Caysie particularly has a very heavy workload almost all year, and many are custom designs that take a lot more of her time than ordering a band or setting that are existing designs. Plus her benches can only do so much, as well. Her work is so beautiful and definitely worth waiting for! She posts much less on social media than some others because she just doesn't have time. The vendors I see that post daily are generally jewelers who have the extra personnel to do it or else simply aren't as busy!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My next step with Caysie is CAD, but her CAD tech is on vacation this week.

Also, she is so busy she asked Ilikeshiny to delay 3 weeks so she could have more time to work on her project. (Ilikeshiny, is that correct?)

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My next step with Caysie is CAD, but her CAD tech is on vacation this week.

Also, she is so busy she asked Ilikeshiny to delay 3 weeks so she could have more time to work on her project. (Ilikeshiny, is that correct?)
Yes. But that was after I approached her about the lack of communication/follow-through. She had told us the project would take 4-6 weeks from start to finish but there were multiple instances of not getting things sent to us and by week 3 we still didn't have a sketch so we knew the timeline was really blown. We did talk it through though and came up with a plan that worked for both of us. Thankfully we had some wiggle room in our timeline so waiting for her to have time for us was possible. I'm still excited to have a piece made by her and hopeful that it will go as planned this time.

As DS said (and I agree), her work is wonderful and worth waiting for. However, when you're the customer you also deserve to have follow-through on what was agreed upon or communication about what the delays are so you can decide if you're okay with it or want to move on to another vendor.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the other one is Grace, well.... seems there have been posts about this lately.... :?:

Ilikeshiny, she told me 4-6 weeks from CAD approval.... just adding...

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Been going through the same. I ended up calling all three vendors after sending multiple emails to try to get a response.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ilikeshiny, she told me 4-6 weeks from CAD approval.... just adding...

Interesting. When we went over timelines she didn't correct that for the timeline we had. I'll have to ask her again once we resume next month.

I'm truly okay if my project takes three months, but I need to know it will take three months. What can I say... I was raised military so I'm used to being held to deadlines and commitments :lol:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In other words, I don't think a client is officially in the queue to the second 4-6 weeks queue until she pays the deposit. (Just discussing, not necessarily speaking of you)

I completely agree that she is worth the wait! I have a few projects I hope to work with her on in the future also...

I am very patient and don't have any particular pressing timeline. We have only emailed twice and texted about ten exchanges over several months. One phone call. I paid my deposit on May 5.

To sum: first queue after paid deposit, second queue after cad approval, then 4-6 weeks

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes, 6 weeks from CAD approval. That is when production starts. Some things like bands may be faster, but I always allow 6-8 weeks from CAD approval.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes, 6 weeks from CAD approval. That is when production starts. Some things like bands may be faster, but I always allow 6-8 weeks from CAD approval.
This would change things dramatically then. Ugh. Now we'll be pushing up against what my BF has said is the timeframe.

cookiebuttermonster

Rough_Rock
If the other one is Grace, well.... seems there have been posts about this lately.... :?:

Yes I wasn't wanting to name names lol, but you guessed correctly. I haven't been on the forums in about a year so wasn't aware of communication issues with her. Initially I sent a contact form via her new website, didn't hear back but chalked it up to new website glitches so I emailed her directly via info from her instagram and had a reply the next day. I did hear back from her yesterday and she apologized for the delay and I believe we are back on track now.

cookiebuttermonster

Rough_Rock
JCK and AGTA gem shows in Vegas are coming up in early June, many vendors may be busy prepping for this show.

I hadn't taken into account the prep work, very good point. I thought maybe they were at these shows, but when I checked the dates saw they didn't start until June, so I was confused. But of course there is prep work involved for trips like that. Add in wedding season and I bet everyone is slammed. No wonder the industry goes on vacation in July. :lol:

cookiebuttermonster

Rough_Rock
As DS said (and I agree), her work is wonderful and worth waiting for. However, when you're the customer you also deserve to have follow-through on what was agreed upon or communication about what the delays are so you can decide if you're okay with it or want to move on to another vendor.

We haven't gotten to a timeline plan yet, I had just recently resumed communication about my project and she had wanted to schedule a phone chat. I really can't get on a high horse about poor communication on her end because mine has been so horrible. :lol: My custom slot so to speak began back in Nov/Dec so I'm sure my attempting to jump back into the project now either sends me to the back of the line, or screws up her planning. I'll just ask her what is a realistic expectation for communication/updates taking into account her current workload.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This would change things dramatically then. Ugh. Now we'll be pushing up against what my BF has said is the timeframe.

In the case of a specific proposal date, he definitely needs to call Caysie and let her know that so she can plan for it if that has not already been made clear. You aren't having any custom cut stones in your setting are you? Because that will make it longer.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I order something it is not a "proposal" piece so I always say no rush. I fully expect to be bumped for someone who is trying hard to make a plan happen. I certainly wouldn't want my project to mess up anyone's important plans. So I would guess that most vendors put those new engagement pieces to the front of the line when they are overwhelmed with work at certain times of the year, and honestly, I would hope that they do. Do I expect communication from them for a week or two delay? No. But more than that, yes. Just to let me know that my project is in their line and that I haven't fallen through the cracks and I'm not upset. But once I know that they remember what they are doing for me, if I have to wait, then fine. They are probably making someone else very happy by keeping to a timeline.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it still wedding season? I am trying to purchase a ready-made item and I was wondering about how long response time is.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Caysie's husband is in ICU

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks ww but it's not caysie. I probably should have said that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results