shape
carat
color
clarity

Vendor Certification of Canadian Diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jmann

Rough_Rock
I just purchased a "canadian" diamond from an online merchant... the diamond came with a vendor certification stating that it had been mined in the Northwest Territories of Canadia. I guess that I had expected a more substational form of certification. Is there anyway that I can be assured that it is indeed from Canada?

I contacted the online merchant and expressed my concerns. I was told that they knew that the diamond had come from the Ekati mine and that they could get me a letter from the manufacturer stating as much. Should I expect more?

It''s a beautiful stone, I just want to be sure where it came from.

Thanks!

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
Did you purchase it from a Canadian vendor? If so you can look up the vendor to see if they're listed as a member of the Canadian Code of Conduct (a Canadian government run program), and have a trace issued where the vendor is required to produce paperwork to ensure the diamond is in fact Canadian.

jmann

Rough_Rock
It was purchased from an online merchant in the US and was supplied to them by an Israeli based company.

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
I live in Canada, and my canadian diamond came with a Certificate of Authenticity under the Canadian Federal Government Code of Conduct guaranteeing its Canadian origin. Stating it''s orgianl rough state weight and the finished specs... So you should have this too if you buy a canadian dimaond.... Unless you go through a US vendor to buy this stone, then I''m not sure....

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
Israeli huh? Sounds a little fishy to me but I''ll give him the benefit of the doubt :) Please let us know what kind of paperwork he provides you.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are numerous Israeli manufacturers who are Canadian rough producers.
I think there are two options:

Either you purchase the diamond like grapegravity, and you get a Certificate of Authenticity (which i think you would have to pay a premium for! but this can be varified easy. I think Denver appraiser has that knowledge...)

Or..., you purchase this Diamond from an online dealer who gets supplied from manufacturers who cut diamonds that have originated in Canada without paying a premium!

If you paid a premium, you should get all the right paper work to authenticate its Canadian origin.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/31/2007 5:26:46 PM
Author: Adylon
Israeli huh? Sounds a little fishy to me but I''ll give him the benefit of the doubt :) Please let us know what kind of paperwork he provides you.
Adylon...

Thats not a fair comment!!!!

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
Sorry... I have nothing against Israeli's, honest :) Some of my best friends are Jewish!

I'm pretty sure Canadian goods still carry a premium because of the costs to extract them are higher, you'd think they'd pass along some of those costs as well? It's possible they're from Canada, how big is this diamond by the way?

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Jmann: I do not think that a vendor would make a certificate which was not real.Let us know what more they can give you.I have seen few Canadian Certificates and they each looked different not like Gia or AGS . Hope this helps you..

jmann

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the feedback from everyone!

I''m a skeptic at heart so I''ve felt the need to chase this down to determine whether or not it is Canadian. I don''t have any reason to doubt either the vendor nor the manufacturer. I''ll certainly let everyone know what more the vendor is able to document...

It''s a D, VVS2, Ideal H&A, .70ct

Thanks again for the comments... I''d be interested to hear other opinions.

jmann

Rough_Rock
I don''t mind at all, it has an AGS certification.

It is indeed a beautiful stone... I can''t stop looking at it! It''s for an engagement ring and I''m working with a local artist to design a custom setting/ring.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is just a guess, but your stone is most probably of Canadian origin.

However, you can only be sure if the suppliers (probably the cutters) are part of one of the official Canadian tracking-programs, either the one checking local cutting in Canada, or the Canadamark-program, which tracks stones from rough to polished.

If the cutter chose to not be part of the Canadamark-program, or if he could not for some reason, the stone becomes untracked. All people involved in the process still know that the stone is Canadian, but they cannot prove it anymore.

What is more, BHP-Billiton, the miner of Ekati, does not allow their customers to attest for the Canadian origin, unless they are part of the Canadamark-program.

Live long,

jmann

Rough_Rock
Paul- that is interesting and helpful information. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results