shape
carat
color
clarity

Vatche Royal Crown or X-Prong

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jlim

Shiny_Rock
One last step before sending the money. Which setting?
Personally, I prefer the RC but the X-Prong looks more *dramatic". But both are classy simple which is what I like.

So, it's like choosing bet. a Lexus or Mercedes.

This is going on a 0.8ct round diamond. Thanks.

which.jpg

Pearl

Rough_Rock
Hi!

I personally love the x prong. However, I think that you should go with which ever style really catches your eye.
1.gif
It sounds to me like you really like the RC. I say go with that.

Beth

Adrienne

Shiny_Rock
hmmm... I prefer the sleekness of the X-Prong but like the height of the RC.

It does sound like you prefer the RC, so I think you should go with it!

Final Cut

Rough_Rock
Hey - I know what you mean - I love both settings - the x-prong sits a little lower, which may be more comfy.

I went for the RC, mainly for security of the additional 2 prongs....

Good Luck

FC
wavey.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Funny. In my eyes, the Royal Crown looks more dramatic. For that reason, I actually like the X-prong better. It has simpler lines.

I can't remember, but did it matter to your GF if the ring were more or less "in the way"? The RC sits higher, so would be more likely to knock against things or get caught in her hair. If that's not a factor, though, just go with what you like best.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I like the look of the Royal Crown myself. It is more dramatic. But, I have a ring with a high set center stone and I sometimes wish it set lower. It is prone to snag on pants pockets or when I'm reaching into things like bags or boxes.

Tis a quandry!
confused.gif

Just visually, I'd vote Royal Crown.
9.gif

jlim

Shiny_Rock
Sigh... my gf's sister is visiting us for a few days and I was just showing her the rings I was considering and she didn't like them. She likes this instead.

In her opinion, a single solitaire looks too simple
sad.gif

She'll try to get a feel from her sister (my gf) what she likes this weekend when we go out to the mall and also get me her exact ring size for me :razz: Hopefully that doesn't clue my gf. in.

Anyway, taking one of her rings and doing a crude measurement, I had thought she's a size 5. Her sister wears like a 3.5 or 4 (she can't remember) and my gf. fingers are skinnier than hers. Good thing I didn't go ahead with a size 5
6.gif

Oh yeah, she also said save the money and buy a generic unbranded setting
sad.gif

615-b.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Jlim, I guess there's no way you can just have it set in a temp setting and let her choose something later, can you? I know you want to blow her away, but the stone should do that just fine.

Anyway, hope you get more clarification when her sister gets back to you.

jlim

Shiny_Rock
Hess - I could but I really want to minimize spending any more money.

I thought of getting a temporary setting but for $100, the best I can find is a 14k gold. Cheapest platinum is $300. She doesn't like the look of gold. That much I know. She likes platinum or white gold.

But once I factor in shipping, I'll probably be out $180 in a gold setting and $380 in platinum.

So, I really want to nail it down by getting her a setting she would like not necessary love.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I have the Royal Crown setting. And I can say I have never gotten more compliments on a piece of jewelry. Usually first it's OH WOW LOOK AT THAT DIAMOND, but then they see the setting and they just go "ooooooooooo That's so pretty". It's such an elegant design. I don't think those pics really do justice to just how elegant and complex it is. It's not simple at all. I highly recommend it.

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Jlim,

I have also been considering between those two settings, but after looking at one in person, I noticed that the RC setting has a thicker prong style on the top and bottom, whereas the side prongs are thinner. This may or may not bother you (I am a sucker for spacing, too...the RC prong spacing is uneven when set...side prongs are set closer together). I loved the side view, though.

If you find out that she just loves the baguette side stone look, don't be too discouraged. You would be very surprised at how inexpensive baguettes are, especially in a generic Platinum or white gold setting.

Good luck & keep us posted.
10.gif

jlim

Shiny_Rock
caratgirl - thanks for the words of encouragement. Unfortunately the Vatche baguette setting cost >$2800!! If her sister finds out she wants something on the sides, I might have to settle for a generic setting
sad.gif

So, is it safe to assume you went with the x-prong then?

jax172 - To me the RC, X-Prong or any solitaire settings are simple. Elegant and fluid design is something I look for. Anything with too many stones on the sides, IMO, looks gaudy and cheesy, like an eternity ring for example. But that's just me. I've seen older women, maybe in their 40s or so, sporting these jewelry in the metro Detroit area. I sure hope my gf. and I share the same taste in jewelry.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 5/29/2003 12:29:52 PM jlim wrote:

This is going on a 0.8ct round diamond. Thanks.

----------------

So, you may have actually listened & went w/ a larger stone. Heck has frozen over.
wink2.gif
9.gif

I like the royal crown because the diamond sits up higher. I have seen both in person & either would be a nice selection.

As far as the Vatche w/ the baguettes, I am partial to it. It is *my* setting. It is very understated in person. The setting is quite low. The tapered baguettes are *very* elegant & traditional. That said, Vatche went through some "pricing issues" after I purchased my setting. If I had to pay the price Vatche dicates now, I would have the ring custom made at a savings of about 1k.

As far a ring size goes, GET IT RIGHT! You could enlist the aide of the sister. Or, buy a cheap ring sizer & sneak one of her rings on it when she isn't looking.

Good luck.

jlim

Shiny_Rock
fire&ice - yes, it is slightly larger than what I intended to buy which was a 0.5ct D/E IF initially. Well, my budget was initially $4000 ($500 for setting for a total of $4500). I was very close to buying a 0.58 E IF and have it set in a Vatche RC or X-Prong and it would come up to around $4500. Perfect!

Unfortunately, I then realize the 0.58 means "mm fat" in Cantonese. Literally means "not rich" or could mean "not a busy body person". So, then I expanded my search and for my budget the best balance bet. all the 4c came to a 0.8ct which I'm buying now. The 8 also has a good meaning. So, that's a bonus.

But getting a Vatche baguette setting cost almost half of what the diamond cost is. Even the RC or X-Prong setting is putting me over the $4500 self-imposed budget. Heck, the diamond cost more than that already.

Thus the dilemna to save money as well as getting an awesome setting for my darling.

Will see what her sister finds out but she has a baguette setting e-ring. So, maybe that might influence her. I hope not
sad.gif
At least the baguette setting on bluenile.com cost $1000. So, I could do that
1.gif

I did use a cheap ring sizer. Actually free ring sizer. Plastic ring sizer bluenile sends out. But it is definitely very very crude and I can see going 1 size over or under. When I told her sister I think she's a size 5 (using the cheap plastic ring sizer from bluenile and measuring one of her old rings), she said no way since she herself is like a size 4 and her sister (my gf) is skinnier than her and have even skinnier/slender fingers.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Get your GF's sister to have your GF try on "her" engagement ring & see how much bigger or small the size. 1 size either way is alot.

As I stated, GET IT RIGHT!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Jlim, can you just tell the sister straight out that you don't want the baguette ring? If you're uncomfortable telling her it's a cost issue tell her you think the others suit your GF better or something. I just don't want the sister to somehow "convince" her sister that the baguettes are nicer and then have your GF be disappointed when she gets something else.

jlim

Shiny_Rock
Hess88 - Haha! I wish I can do that but ultimately I really want to know what she likes. I'm sure she'll be slighly influenced by her sister's advice. Personally I like a single solitaire design. The channel setting from Vatche is nice too coz' it is not overly complicated and it looks fluid. I never considered a baguette setting before coz' I just don't like anything besides the solitaire. But what men likes usually doesn't translate to what women wants. I looked at her sister's baguette setting and it doesn't look overly complicated nor intrude into the round diamond. So, it is an option. But I can't very well spend $2400 on a Vatche baguette setting. So, I might have to settle for a baguette setting (unbranded). I thought getting a brandname ring will be nice. Will see how it all plays out over the weekend.

Actually, I find deciding on setting a lot more complicated than deciding on a diamond. W/ a diamond, I narrow down on the clarity and color, boom bam bing, I'm done. Setting is a great headache.
sick.gif

jlim

Shiny_Rock
fire&ice - do you mind taking a photo of your Vatche baguette setting? A 3 carat, right? The ones I find online are not very well taken. There's only 1 authorized Vatche dealer near where I live and it is not very convenient for me to go there. Thanks.

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
Try to size her up while she is sleeping. If she is light sleeper, then you are hosed. Another method, take one of her rings she wears on her ring finger and mark where it fits on your finger, then use your sizer or go to a jeweler and have them pull the size from your finger.

For more pics of the dvatche with baguettes go to their website www.dvatche.com. They have pics of the setting with multiple size stones including larger stones. You may be right not great shots, but they are taken from 2 angles.

jlim

Shiny_Rock
homer - the photo I posted w/ the baguette setting came from the Vatche website
1.gif
I think that's the best I found but nothing beats seeing it in person. Unfortunately, due to their limited authorized dealers in MI, I can't easily see it in person. I might as well not since it cost >$2400!!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 5/30/2003 11:58:51 AM homer_j wrote:

For more pics of the dvatche with baguettes go to their website www.dvatche.com. They have pics of the setting with multiple size stones including larger stones. You may be right not great shots, but they are taken from 2 angles.

----------------

The vatche photos make the stone appear to sit up more than in reality. I will try to take a jpeg later as my battery is dead.

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Jlim,

Alas, I still have not decided. The X-prong is a strong contender, but I think a trip down to the LA jewelry mart is in order soon! I tried on a lot of styles recently that I thought would look great, yet on me they didn't. As soon as I decide on 'the one' I'll post before & after shots in eye-candy.

By the way, if you do take one of your gf's rings to check for size, make sure that you find out if the left hand ring finger is smaller. Mine is by 1/2 size, as is most women's. Plus, Homer's suggestion won't work (I think), cause usually women don't wear jewelry on their left ring finger - it makes them look married.
4.gif
10.gif

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI Jlim,
I also had a hard time deciding on a setting. I first had my heart set on a solitaire, but went with the Vatche 3 stone truffle. To my dismay, I really didn't like it when I got it, so I sent it back and got the Royal Crown, which had been my original choice from the beginning.
I prefer the RC because it is set low, but not as low as the x-prong. in fact, I wish it was set just a little bit higher. Plus, the head is just georgous to look at. It doesn't have the typical blade prongs that you see everywhere. Also, it has six prongs, so I think it will protect your diamond better. I know from experience that a diamond can chip ( I have a diamond with a chipped girdle).
Just make sure that you get your GF's size right. Tell someone to ask her or have her try on someone else's ring (but not their e-ring) and see if you can get it from that.
The worse thing is to give her the ring and find out it doesn't fit right. Rmember, she will want to wear it as soon as she recieves it!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results