shape
carat
color
clarity

Various general and fancy cut questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

atomzero

Rough_Rock
In a few months, I''ll be buying a ring for my girlfriend. I like fancy cuts, and I have a slew of questions to ask about certain ones. Mainly, what do I look for in each one?

1. What minimum color or clarity should I go for if I go Emerald?
2. Oval?
3. Pear?
4. Asscher?
5. Radiant?
6. I''ve seen plenty of good ones for an Emerald cut, but could anyone recommend a nice setting for a Pear, Oval, Asscher, or Radiant cut diamond? I''m pretty set on Platiunum for the metal.
7. Are these online jewelers pretty reliable? They seem to be. I''m looking mostly at Union Diamond and James Allen...how are they?
8. Is there any way that I can see pictures of the actual diamond before I buy them it an online jeweler?

I will appreciate any assistance. I''m looking to spend between 4-5k for the whole she-bang. Thanks.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kiss my asscher.
That's funny.
Maybe I'll use that in my sig line.

Emeralds - do not hide inclusions as well as cuts with more facets, I'd keep it G VS1 or better.
Asshers - look small for their weight.
Ovals and marquis - watch out for bowties.
Princess or round - go for an AGS 0 cut and use the HCA tool for rounds.

The PS online vendors are very reliable and some have actual pics of stones and much other useful info.

DBM

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/28/2006 12:20:14 AM
Author: kenny
Kiss my asscher.
That's funny.
Maybe I'll use that in my sig line.

Emeralds - do not hide inclusions as well as cuts with more facets, I'd keep it G VS1 or better.
Asshers - look small for their weight.
Ovals and marquis - watch out for bowties.
Princess or round - go for an AGS 0 cut and use the HCA tool for rounds.

The PS online vendors are very reliable and some have actual pics of stones and much other useful info.
I'd just differ as far as color of the emerald. GIA H is doable also. "i" is borderline. Some are thrilled with it (partially because of the savings ) and others for whom an I was too colored for.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
29.gif
lost my post

anyway:

solitaires: I really like the Vatche Royal Crown for pear. Harry Winston style claw prongs for emerald/sq em. Ovals and Radiants, not to sure on solitaire options.

3-stones: tapered baguettes are a solid option on almost any shape, except maybe radiant (?) Ovals also look pretty good with small rounds or pears.

thin, shared prong rounds are also foolproof.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
My question is this: That is a huge range of cuts. Do you know what your GF wants? Or are you just choosing a shape that you like?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I *think* that the radiant cut generally will really show color...I *think* that''s why you see so many fancy colored radiants...Not that it may show a lot of color, but for that reason I would think that a well cut radiant H or I etc might show a touch more color than other shapes of the same color....experts please correct me if I''m wrong...(I''m talking about the traditional crushed ice radiants here)...

atomzero

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/28/2006 8:16:37 AM
Author: jazmine
My question is this: That is a huge range of cuts. Do you know what your GF wants? Or are you just choosing a shape that you like?

There is just a lot out there that we like, and we don't have too much to spend, so we are keeping our options open.

Right now, I'm leaning towards Emerald cut with baguettes in a platinum setting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results