carat
color
clarity

Various gems I’m debating on setting

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@icy_jade,
I apologize for not responding to your question sooner. The stones I feel would plug the gap are the demantoid and the orange spinel (which reminds me of a padparadcha), silver spinel and green zircon.

I can set more than one gem at this time, and I’m leaning toward a certain gem that people are overwhelmingly commenting on.

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elle_71125 - it has strong red fluor, which helps!! Thanks!!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@icy_jade,
I apologize for not responding to your question sooner. The stones I feel would plug the gap are the demantoid and the orange spinel (which reminds me of a padparadcha), silver spinel and green zircon.

I can set more than one gem at this time, and I’m leaning toward a certain gem that people are overwhelmingly commenting on.

That fabulous pink spinel...

But really if I have so many gems I’ll definitely play with all combinations and do a whimsical ring with my favorite combi... added benefit of savings vs setting them one by one...

Can the pink spinel go with some demantoids, perhaps the purple spinel? Or the orange spinel with spess and some yellow stones...

Can the pear spinels be side stones for the purple tourmaline?

Can’t really visualize how your gems will look together and I think in real life the different RI may not work out well but have been thinking about something like below for my loose gems so just for ideas...
304F8243-CA7E-4D3F-A99F-4E514F3990D9.jpeg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@icy_jade,
Thank you for the suggestions. I am considering a multistone or bypass ring. I did the same thing with my FCDs. I had way too many and I wanted to enjoy them all at once, hence the band ring my jeweler created for me.

The problem with colored stones however is that you really need to complement the colors and the saturations, otherwise some kind of get lost in the setting. That’s the hard part.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @CSpan.

I bought the benitoite about 25 years ago at an exotic gem store that I completely forgot the name of. It’s about 75 points.

The peach spinel was an eBay find from at least ten years ago. It’s about three carats. I forget the dealer name, but the spinel pickings on eBay these days is slim. There’s far more selection on Etsy.

Thank you! This gives me hope, I keep seeing stones but worrying I won't set them since I lack imagination. But just having a set to play with! If you get bored I'd love to ogle your Benetoite a little more. Like I said, obsessed. Plus it is the only stone I feel like I am educated on.

I agree (lost the post) that the pad coloring on that spinel is TDF and would look amazing set on her own, maybe a bezel. There seems to be a lot of fire coming from her little self. I keep seeing spinels on etsy and IG but need a few more PS years getting up to speed on what to look for!

Reactions: T L

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ah yeah @T L that is a totally cool ring!!! I love ideas like that, creatively using various FCDs. I love your ring. Do you find that you wear it a lot?

Ohhh talk about those moods... very, very dangerous. Every winter I get into the emerald mood and I cannot seem to avoid it. I am afraid that come spring it may be lighter, more bluish emeralds and perhaps paraibas and then back to FCDs. Why is it that some of us cannot be satisfied by one great ring? Oh I know, then all the fun of hunting would be gone.

voce

Ideal_Rock
But really if I have so many gems I’ll definitely play with all combinations and do a whimsical ring with my favorite combi... added benefit of savings vs setting them one by one...
It's not that you don't have so many gems, but that all the gems you show us here on PS are so freaking BIG that if you combined them, it would be the size of a gauntlet and not a ring.

Most of @T L's gems are the same way as well. Clustering a 2ct pink spinel with other gems of that size... I suspect it would take a size 15 finger to pull it off. Looking from the inspiration photos, I'd say that most of those stones are in the 2mm-5mm range, with the max being 6 or 7mm (round in last photo). If you're dealing in 2ct+ sizes, unless the ring is designed to be worn across more than one finger, the cluster size would be more appropriate for a pendant or bracelet. My 2 cents.

Last edited:

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
It's not that you don't have so many gems, but that all the gems you show us here on PS are so freaking BIG that if you combined them, it would be the size of GAUNTLET and not a ring. My 2 cents.

Hahaha Thanos has nothing on @T L.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@CSpan, thanks again! The amazing thing about benitoite is that it doesn’t sparkle like a regular gem, but looks like little laser beams are coming out of it. I don’t know why, but it’s a fascinating gem, albeit a bit soft.

The orange spinel is indeed a sparkler and large. Some people might be put off by the color, but some people pay a lot for that color, especially in corundum. Therefore, I thought it was a contender for this thread. You don’t see that color in spinel everyday.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Sunstorm,
You and I both have a thing for emeralds! I have an emerald problem too! It was the very first gem I saw in a book as a child, and then I saw Liz Taylor’s famous emerald suite, and I was hooked. If they weren’t so dang expensive, I’d probably be up to my neck swimming in emeralds!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of @T L's gems are the same way as well. Clustering a 2ct pink spinel with other gems of that size... I suspect it would take a size 15 finger to pull it off. Looking from the inspiration photos, I'd say that most of those stones are in the 2mm-5mm range, with the max being 6 or 7mm (round in last photo). If you're dealing in 2ct+ sizes, unless the ring is designed to be worn across more than one finger, the cluster size would be more appropriate for a pendant or bracelet. My 2 cents.

Good points!

That’s why I do bypass rings. I think it works better with two large stones, and I am a tall woman with large fingers.

Of course in a solitaire, I wouldn’t be adverse to wearing the “Star of Africa” as a ring stone!! Lol!

Liz Taylor and Liberace were very tacky jewelry wearers like me. Size doesn’t matter!

ETA: I have a ginormous rose quartz the size of a coffee table that I want to set in a ring one day. It’s the largest gem I own by far, and can double as a lethal weapon!! Lol!

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
Love the spess and lavender spinel :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah yeah @T L that is a totally cool ring!!! I love ideas like that, creatively using various FCDs. I love your ring. Do you find that you wear it a lot?

I forgot to answer your question here. I will wear it everyday for months, and then store it at the bank vault for months. I do that a lot with some of my favorites!

Thank you for the kind words!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pick whichever. Life's too short!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
It's not that you don't have so many gems, but that all the gems you show us here on PS are so freaking BIG that if you combined them, it would be the size of a gauntlet and not a ring.

Haha I actually have some small ones but definitely sounds like we have different size tolerances. I’m used to big gems so 2-5 mm is doable imo for cluster rings. I’m even considering cluster for a 2.9ct sapphire so... yeah not gauntlet size to me.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All the spinel and the paraiba get my vote those are the ones that will be worth the most and the pink spinel is really pretty!!!

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
You could just make a super blingy purse. :Up_to_something:

Attachments

• 160714EE-5B8A-4CA3-8B1B-992326202873.jpeg
    160714EE-5B8A-4CA3-8B1B-992326202873.jpeg
    280.9 KB · Views: 73

voce

Ideal_Rock
You could just make a super blingy purse. :Up_to_something:

I would personally feel so nervous that the stones would fall off or get peeled off by a thief, unless I hired a henchman specifically to keep his eyes on the purse (which still makes me nervous). Leaving them unset is so much better for peace of mind.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@strawrose, thank you for the suggestion, but I would never do a purse, and even if I did, who would set the gems on a purse?

@voce, I agree.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they would be wasted on a purse. Now a tiara, on the other hand, would be a good use of the gems. I can see it now: Queen TL wearing her diamond (purely accent stones) and her multicolored gemstone tiara, sitting and holding court...

Or, going grocery shopping, out to a movie, on a hike - you know, all the places one would wear a crown/tiara.

voce

Ideal_Rock
A tiara would be fantastic, but which gem would be in the center?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they would be wasted on a purse. Now a tiara, on the other hand, would be a good use of the gems. I can see it now: Queen TL wearing her diamond (purely accent stones) and her multicolored gemstone tiara, sitting and holding court...

Or, going grocery shopping, out to a movie, on a hike - you know, all the places one would wear a crown/tiara.

Oh dear, no wonder why I’ve bern binge watching “The Crown” on Netflix! Lol!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results