shape
carat
color
clarity

Vantage point for grading clarity

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Loganbrew

Rough_Rock
Is the clarity grading of stones and the term “eye clean” based solely on face-up viewing or does it include viewing upside-down and through the side of the pavilion? I can easily see inclusions through the pavilion of several SI stones I’ve viewed without the use of magnification. I’m wondering if a particular 1.03ct, SI1 stone I’m interested in is what I should expect of this grade (based on an EGL-Israel cert., which obviously has less than stellar credentials). In this particular stone there are several very small DARK inclusions that are easily visible from the pavilion without magnification, especially when reflected to other pavilion facets. However, face-up these inclusions are “mostly” indiscernible without a loupe. The cut gets a 0.6 HCA reading. Accordingly, the brilliance and fire of the stone easily masks these inclusions except when I scrutinize and look hard in an area (e.g. just under the table’s edge) where I know a larger inclusion resides. Is this still considered eye clean and SI1?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Clarity is only done from face up.
It is acceptable to 'find' inclusions from the side or underneath - but the actual call should be done - after all the inclusins are isolated - with a 10x loupe in the face up view only.
When you know exactly where an inclusion is you may even see a VS2 with a naked eye.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I ran into this as well when we were looking at an SI1 stone that had a small carbon inclusion that looked like a spec of dirt. I saw it with my naked eye when I was holding the stone at an angle, not face up. It could have been set under a prong, but it still bothered me. I think it would depend on your setting as well..will it cover much of the stone? If so, then you might not want to worry about the inclusions being seen at an angle. For us, we wanted something eye clean from all angles, which we got with a VS1. However many people suggest going for a higher color than clarity, as mostly only very discerning eyes will notice any inclusions on an eye-clean diamond.

You mention the brilliance, etc..that's another good point. If the diamond is so brilliant and sparkly that you can barely see the inclusions, then chances are no one else will be able to see them when blinded by the diamond's brilliance, unless the person's eye is attached to your hand for a good 5-10 minutes. :wink2:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mara that is why i tell people to consider diamonds with marks in the center of the stone.
A mark at the girdle can be called SI1 when it would be graded SI2 or even I1 if it was in the table area.
Conversely an SI1 in the center might be a VS2 or even a VS1 if the mark was out near the giirdle.

People do not understand how important this is - I read and hear experts saying - avoid anything with a mark in the table area.

There are other reasons too - inclusions just under the table can usually never be seen from the crown facets - where as those in the crown area often show up all around the stone.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
CutNut--thanks for the clarification on the inclusions and where they should be. I, too, have read and heard the exact opposite!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results