shape
carat
color
clarity

Vanishing Laser Inscription????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

The Grudge

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased a 1.2 carat RB H&A cut. The diamond was inscribed with "H&A AGSL" and then the cert # on the girdle. I brought the diamond to a jeweler and has it mounted in a 6 prong tiffany setting. When I picked the ring up, I couldn't see the inscription under the loupe. The jeweller assured me that he did not cover the inscription with a prong. I looked again, and was able to see the H&A portion of the inscription, but it was very, very faint. I don't suspect the diamond was switched as it looks to be my stone. I had the stone appraised loose and will have appraised mounted this week just to be sure. The jeweller said that a would be able to see it easier under dark field illumination.

Is there anything that happens during the setting process that could cause the inscription to fade? Should I be worried?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is a little blackness in the engraving when freshly lasered. In setting or polishing, the black can be steamed out... It is probably best when it is virtually invisible. All you need is to be able to see it. You really should not wnat it to be a prominent darkness in the edge of the diamond after the initial verification that it is present. IT WILL NOT WEAR OFF.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Dave Atlas is correct. After the diamond is steam cleaned the inscription is still there, it just is much harder to see. You might need 15 to 20 power in a microscope to get a clear view but it is still there.

The Grudge

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much. Everyone has been really helpful to me during this whole process. You guys are great.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results