shape
carat
color
clarity

Van Craeynest ering questions--need PS help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Hello,
I have been talking to Larry Van Craeynest about erings (thanks PS for telling me about Van Craeynest) and he sent out a couple of settings for me to examine. They certainly made my heart go pitter patter with their darling details and--well--dignified presence. The rings are simply lovely.
Okay, can someone help me with the following:

• Does any have pictures of the #4 head? I like the fleur-de-lis detailing on the side, but I hadn’t realized the head had “fish tail” prongs. I am not sure how I feel about the prongs because I haven’t really seen good pictures of them.

• For Van Craeynest ering owners, did you do any customizing to your ring? There are a couple of things I want to change in the design I want (#460).

• Any tips on how to ensure my interactions are productive and successful? I don’t want to aggravate Larry with all my questions and absence of die-striking knowledge. Also, Larry has been awfully nice about taking my calls which I make close to his closing time (the PST/EST time difference lets me call afterwork. My work’s office cubicle set-up means I can’t make calls during my work hours). Finally, since I have never undertaken a project like this, I am full of questions.

Any comments or advice will be greatly appreciated.

460 IMG_0253.JPG

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the ring pictured yours or an inspiration? Either way, I absolutely love it...but I''m not a VC owner unfortunately! Hopefully LoveinBloom or another VC owner will chime in here soon to assist you with specifics.

Fwiw: I think any design can be customized...although you will probably pay the price for additional work.

Hope you get lots of informative and useful responses! Good luck!
36.gif

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your message. The ring pictured is all Van Craeynest. It''s delicate miligrain lines with tiny flowers just floored me.
30.gif
Actually, all the rings are lovely.

I would like to get the ring in platinum and remove the diamond "shoulders" in order to bring more attention to the flowers. The wedding band will have more detailing (I should post a picture of it too) and I think the different looks together will complement each other.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
anita, I don''t have a van craeynest ring either and hopefully some owners will chime in. I know diamondseeker had 2 settings sent to her and was just in awe at the incredible workmanship is well. I just wanted to say that please do not feel bad for making the late phone calls and asking a ton of questions. those settings are incredible and not inexpensive so you have every right to gather as much info, request as many pictures etc. as you wish. my guess is Larry is very nice and would accomodate you where he can. I think whatever you end up with from them will be an amazing heirloom quality piece though.

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Mrssalvo! I can''t say enough about the pieces. Words like awe and reverence keep coming to my mind when I look at the rings.
9.gif
After an earlier frustrating experience with a local non-PS vendor, I certainly appreciate Mr. Van Craeynest''s non-pushy attitude.

We talked about the #4 head and I got more details about it. It will have more of a split prong look (which I prefer) than square miracle top look.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not positive, but I think this is the #4 head:

http://www.mickyroof.com/vcimg905/483-lg-4.jpg

I really don''t like it as well as the regular 4 prong setting. I think the view from the top would be quite bulky and square looking, personally. But I am really into less obvious prongs, so take that with a grain of salt!

The ring your posted is beautiful! I will tell you though, that the little diamonds next to the stone in platinum are stunning. I would really recommend leaving the design as it is.

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the link and your thoughts about the existing design! I still haven''t finalized my decision, but I think I know what I am going to do...sort of
26.gif

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2008 12:06:57 AM
Author:AnitaT

I have been talking to Larry Van Craeynest about erings (thanks PS for telling me about Van Craeynest) and he sent out a couple of settings for me to examine. They certainly made my heart go pitter patter with their darling details and--well--dignified presence. The rings are simply lovely.

Okay, can someone help me with the following:

• Does any have pictures of the #4 head? I like the fleur-de-lis detailing on the side, but I hadn’t realized the head had “fish tail” prongs. I am not sure how I feel about the prongs because I haven’t really seen good pictures of them.

The pic DS linked is indeed the #4 head. I think that is the head Seahorsegurl has on her ring-to-be! The #4 does have a boxy fishtail look, but there is also another version of that head called the ‘Fleur-de-lis.’ When I inquired about double prongs, VC told me that he carves and shaves down the #4 into the FDL head, giving it a more delicate look with double prongs. Here is a link to one of my faves with the ‘Fleur-de-lis’ head
3.gif
:

VC ring with FDL

• For Van Craeynest ering owners, did you do any customizing to your ring? There are a couple of things I want to change in the design I want (#460).

While I did not request any changes on my engagement ring or wedding band, I do have another ring in the works with some customizations. The changes I requested were not too drastic, but they were very specific. Because of the unique nature and construction of VC jewelry I think there are limits to what changes can be done. Larry is the best person to ask if the changes you want to make are possible. If you have too many changes in mind to rework a preexisting design, I wonder if he would agree to do an entirely custom piece for you. If that is the case, it could be quite time consuming and expensive. Just a warning from the pendant experience...but it was totally worth it IMO
10.gif

• Any tips on how to ensure my interactions are productive and successful? I don’t want to aggravate Larry with all my questions and absence of die-striking knowledge. Also, Larry has been awfully nice about taking my calls which I make close to his closing time (the PST/EST time difference lets me call afterwork. My work’s office cubicle set-up means I can’t make calls during my work hours). Finally, since I have never undertaken a project like this, I am full of questions.

Any comments or advice will be greatly appreciated.

I suggest continuing to ask questions, being as descriptive as well as specific as possible, and trying to stay open to Larry’s ideas (because I think he has really good ones!). In case you have not heard of my ‘alligator head’ ruby, it is one that I wanted set low into a band. I discussed this with VC and he had some suggestions on how it could be set. I really liked his suggestions and had an ephiphany of sorts on how I envisioned the ring from his description, so I made a sketch and sent it to him. Also did the same with the idea for my pendant. I sent a sketch…nothing fancy, just a simple line drawing with shading. I felt this was the best way for me to deliver my vision to Larry’s eyes, and he seemed to appreciate the sketches. If you feel comfortable with a pencil and paper, I would suggest trying to draw what you want so he can see
4.gif

As far as aggravating Larry goes…I can be a pretty difficult person, ESPECIALLY when details are involved. Since he has not once lost his patience with me on two wedding rings, an engagment ring, a pendant, a pair of earrings, and another band, I gather Larry is one of the the most patient people on the planet! I find that fact quite refreshing considering that he is probably the last person in this sublunary world who can make the kind of jewelry he does.

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
LIB! I just got home and saw your message in SMTR. I was about to write back, but see you found my questions.
21.gif
Thanks so much for the information, I was hoping to hear from you! The Fleur-de-lis head with the split prongs is exactly what I was going for....great, that is cleared up now!

My design vision, if you will, is a round diamond as the center stone with 460 in platinum with the FDL head and without the diamond shoulders. It is simple, but darling. The wedding band that I am thinking of getting has more detail and design to it. Together, I think the pieces will complement each other. At the same time, I think the pieces have enough pressence to stand alone too.
9.gif
I am attaching a picture of the two rings together. They are in different metals, but you get the idea.

LIB--did you get your center stone from one of the places that Larry recommended? I wouldn''t mind going with his rec, except that I am on the east coast and wouldn''t be able to see the stone beforehand.

ERWB3 IMG_0352.JPG

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Awww, AnitaT, I'm blushing!! I can't believe anyone was actually hoping to hear from *me*
16.gif

So I think I understand...the flowers would be brought closer together on either side of the FDL head, eliminating the space that has the smaller diamonds from the setting in the first pic? Because that sounds really pretty
6.gif
30.gif

Would you wear it with the band in the picture? I think that would be a smashing combo! Just one thought though...the band may not sit flush up against the setting with a FDL head. That could be a concern...but with the "show me your gaps" thread, I'm liking that look nowadays
2.gif

ETA: Thanks for posting the link again in the SMTR thread. It didn't occur to me that the link would lead me here
37.gif

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2008 8:28:00 PM
Author: AnitaT

LIB--did you get your center stone from one of the places that Larry recommended? I wouldn't mind going with his rec, except that I am on the east coast and wouldn't be able to see the stone beforehand.
Nope. I already had my center from my original engagement ring, but Larry did source the ceylon sapphires for my pendant and earrings, and the tiny ruby for my new band. Even with the small stones I have, I have come to understand that Larry's taste in gemstones is
18.gif
PHENOMENAL
18.gif

Where diamonds are concerned, I did call JW at the company that starts with LA G and ends with somthing that rhymes with "moby" (hehe, do you get my code speak?
41.gif
) when I had some questions about diamonds and pricing. JW was sincere and very informative, answering all of my inquiries. I will probably consider him for any future diamond plans
31.gif

Since the vendors on PS obviously marvelous, would you consider getting your center stone from one of them? That way you could see your stone in person and perhaps calm any hesitations you may have. Just a thought...
2.gif

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
LIB, yup, you understand my design idea exactly. And, yes, I think we are going to go with this wedding band. The flowers are separated by delicate dots and dashes. Here is another picture where you can see them more clearly. This pattern (969) comes in two designs--one with flowers and another with tiny diamonds on either side of the flowers. I am not sure which one I want yet. :) Good point about having a gap--I will have to check out the gap thread, but it will probably be okay.

969 IMG_0178.JPG

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
LOL!! LIB, I understand you completely and that is who I was thinking of! I haven''t talked to him yet so it is reassuring to hear you had a positive experience.

There is someone else locally that I learned of through PS that I could buy a center stone from. However, if I go that route, they will not cover the stone while it is being set. I worry about something happening during the process (I trust Larry, don''t get me wrong...I am just cautious) and then my bf and I loosing several thousand dollars.
32.gif
(I wish there was a smiley biting its nails)

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2008 9:54:20 PM

LOL!! LIB, I understand you completely and that is who I was thinking of! I haven''t talked to him yet so it is reassuring to hear you had a positive experience.

There is someone else locally that I learned of through PS that I could buy a center stone from. However, if I go that route, they will not cover the stone while it is being set. I worry about something happening during the process (I trust Larry, don''t get me wrong...I am just cautious) and then my bf and I loosing several thousand dollars.
32.gif
(I wish there was a smiley biting its nails)

I''m almost ashamed to admit it, but I didn''t even have my ring or my diamond insured when I sent it away
6.gif
. In my own defense, my diamond is not large, and I am pretty naive (if that is even a defense!)
38.gif
. For me the fear only set in on the way back from the post office after it sunk in that had just I sent my ering to the other side of the US via registered mail (that ''naked finger'' feeling really got to me!).

Even though everything worked out for me I am still sympathetic to your worries. I wouldn''t let them get the best of you though, since you are looking at a round diamond set in platinum. I would probably pull my hair out for you if you wanted a stone with corners set in white gold
32.gif

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your reassurance! And, I know what you mean about naked finger feeling too.
2.gif

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Hey AnitaT, any luck with bringing your *fantastic* ring idea to life??

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/11/2008 10:46:47 AM
Author: Love in Bloom

Hey AnitaT, any luck with bringing your *fantastic* ring idea to life??
LIB,
Hello! It''s moving along and Larry has been great (seriously). BF and I are in the process of trying to find a center stone now...and, then Larry and his talented staff will work their magic. I am pretty excited.
3.gif
The level of customer service has been exremely reassuring. I mean, I swear there was one week when Larry and I were talking almost every day. I am really glad that I found out about VC.

Of course, there is still the slight issue of figuring out insurance...I need to do more research on that end.
34.gif

Thanks for asking!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2008 3:04:36 PM

LIB,
Hello! It''s moving along and Larry has been great (seriously). BF and I are in the process of trying to find a center stone now...and, then Larry and his talented staff will work their magic. I am pretty excited.
3.gif
The level of customer service has been exremely reassuring. I mean, I swear there was one week when Larry and I were talking almost every day. I am really glad that I found out about VC.

Of course, there is still the slight issue of figuring out insurance...I need to do more research on that end.
34.gif

Thanks for asking!
Best of luck with the insurance and finding a center AnitaT! Be sure to keep us updated
2.gif

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
34.gif
Jeweler''s Mutual will insure a stone while it''s being set if you send them an appraisal for the loose stone and an invoice showing the cost of the setting. There''s a thread around here somewhere with more details.

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Urseberry, I''m glad you mentioned JM. I''ve been wondering about them and have seen some of the threads. It might be time to call them for more information, especially since I am getting the setting and center from different vendors.

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/11/2008 3:15:18 PM
Author: Love in Bloom

Best of luck with the insurance and finding a center AnitaT! Be sure to keep us updated
2.gif
I sure will. Shoot, I''m sure I will have more questions as things progress!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
2.gif

MissMolly

Rough_Rock
Anita:

How did you find out about these ring designs (#460, #969)?
(I can''t find either on VanCraeynest''s website.)
Also, how large is the center stone in this pic?
Thanks!
1.gif

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
MissMolly,
#460 is on the Van Craeynest website. I also looked at www.clay-pot.com and found another picture of it. Here is the link http://www.clay-pot.com/scp_items_1200wedding__page-1.html. 969 was a pleasant surprise. Larry just sent it along with the other ones I was looking at and I fell in love with it. However, I now see that 969 is one of the first rings you see when you go to the VC website (www.vancraeynest.com) --it is on the left side. I have no idea about the size of the stone, maybe under a carat?

Good luck!

MissMolly

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info, Anita!
1.gif

AnitaT

Shiny_Rock
Of course! I love the VC craftsmanship.
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results