shape
carat
color
clarity

Van Craeynest and the pink sapphire

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I'm going to be posting a supplement to this thread over on SMTB since one of the rings (one of them is a wedding band) is set with an AVC, but CS just seemed like the right place for the pink sapphire.

First the backstory:

1.58ct unheated purplish-pink sapphire, a hair under 7mm in diameter. It was sourced for us by a local jeweler who was going to design a custom setting. We insisted on an unheated sapphire, which he told us was impossible to find. However, when the report came back on this one, it turned out he was wrong ;-) .We ended up not having him set it, because we were not on the same page design-wise. To put it mildly.

After considering all my options, I finally decided to go with Van Craeynest in San Francisco. The discussion on that decision is here:http://www.pricescope.com/forum/colored-stones/the-cs-setting-help-thread-t157183-120.html, page 5.

A photo of the unset sapphire:

IMG_0313.jpg

My camera just doesn't do justice to this stone, which IRL is an intense, almost hot pink.

IMG_0474.jpg

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
That's not a Van Craeynest box, by the way. I just needed a box and used a BGD box I had sitting around.

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, it's beautiful. Congratulations.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
IMG_0453.jpg

I also wanted to say a quick word about our experience with VC. As I mentioned on the setting help thread, I did have some concerns, based on LovingGems negative experience. We visited the VC workshop in person, spent about half an hour with Sarah looking at rings, and discussing what I wanted, then Larry Van Craeynest took us on a tour of the work-space. We got a chance to see the incredible tools and machinery, learn about the techniques used to make the VC jewelry, and see the workbenches and work-in-progress. Everyone we met was helpful, pleasant, and passionate about the work that is done there. We were completely impressed, and wouldn't hesitate to work with Van Craeynest again. Of course, this in no way invalidates LovingGem's experience, but I did want to offer details of our personal experience.

I will also confess to breathing a sigh of relief after receiving the rings, and carefully louping all of them.

happybear

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations, Aoife! It's a beautiful ring! :love:

I can so see this as an heirloom piece for your generations to come. It's so exquisite! :appl:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Beautifully done, wow sapphire, and yes, heirloom.

--- Laurie

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
Aoife ~

OMG!!! :love: :love: :love: your incredible new ring! It is just exquisite, Aoife. The craftsmanship is just mind-blowing: details everywhere. Wear it with great pleasure and enjoy the compliments.

~ faegrace

PS
I am glad you had such a phenomenal experience working with Van Craeynest. :)

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
This piece is exquisite!! What a beautiful stone, and you could have found a no more perfect home for it!! Congratulations on the PERFECT ring! :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such rare beauty and exceptional craftsmanship! If I didn't recently get my little ring, I am not sure I could fully appreciate these rings. The details are minute..they must use a microscope to do the milgrain and other work!

This ring is a beauty and will be the perfect compliment to your wedding set! :love: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

(Oh, and Sara has been extremely nice and helpful to me, too!)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
nicely done! setting and stone compliment one another....and it is unique. i like unique! not seeing the same ring on someone else means something to me. and again your experience underscores finding someone who can share your "vision"!

congrats!

MoZo

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife, your sapphire is such a pretty shade of pink and I love it in yellow gold!

What can I say about the VC setting... it's an absolute work of art :love: :love: ! Enjoy (and post more pics if you can ;-) )!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GORGEOUS!!

I've been totally won over by VC by the way, ever since getting my VC ring, I think I"ve been ruined for other jewelery, lol. I'm drooling over your new ring!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is simply stunning and frankly, a dream setting for me.

Might I be so bold as to ask a rough price range for the setting? I would like to know if such a work of art could ever be in my future, or if I need to forget it!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
happybear and JewelFreak: I agree that Van Craeynest really does create heirloom quality jewelry...although my DDs may have to draw straws over who gets what. Thank you!

faegrace: Thank you for the compliments, and I think the details are what sets VC apart. It is definitely a distinct style!

Thanks, Uppy, that means a lot to me, since that was exactly the way I felt when I saw this setting IRL. I had been looking for the right setting for this stone for over a year, and when I saw this, it felt as though it was meant to be.

DS2006 I love your VC ring and especially the way it looks with your eternity. The detail on the VC's is mind-blowing, isn't it?

Thank you MoZo, I love the fact that it's unique, too! And the design is not forced, at all, IRL.

baby nurse: Thank you, I only wish my photos weren't so washed out, because the pink of the sapphire and the richness of the gold are even more dramatic IRL.

MTG: Thank you, I know what you mean! I love your ring, and can easily see how it would have won you over, because the detail is fantastic. Are you going to keep the diamond in the setting? Because the diamond is gorgeous, too.

Dreamer_D: Thank you, and I don't mind you asking at all, since Sarah was very forthright when I asked about pricing initially. The setting is 18k gold, so the pricing starts around $4000+/-. The pierced settings in 18k all seem to start around there, give or take a few 100's. The chased settings seem to start around $2000+/-. Platinum is substantially more, but I didn't ask for specifics on that. I know that is a significant amount of money, but after visiting the workshop and seeing the amount of work that goes into each separate piece of each ring, and after wearing this on my hand, I can tell you that I think they are worth every penny. I'm already scheming for how I can save up so I can have VC set other gemstones for me. My husband doesn't know this yet :lol: :naughty:.

TL: Thank you!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
a beautiful ring! :love:

-A

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think the setting design flows and is very organic...yes, i agree: not forced at all!

MoZo

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aoife thank you! I think that is reasonable for what the piece is certainly. But out of my league at the moment. Still, perhaps one day for a special anniversary! I would want to take a trip to SF for such an expensive work of art, too, so that would also make it a little more complex for me. Anyways, I will live vicariously through you for now ;))

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
KaeKae|1304550726|2912436 said:
OMG, it's beautiful. Congratulations.

Somehow I missed your post the first time, but thank you! :wavey:

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Arcadian|1304568236|2912723 said:
a beautiful ring! :love:

-A

Thanks, Arcadian! I'm looking forward to hearing more about your upcoming project, too!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
movie zombie|1304568991|2912729 said:
i think the setting design flows and is very organic...yes, i agree: not forced at all!

MoZo

Organic is exactly the word!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1304571185|2912744 said:
Aoife thank you! I think that is reasonable for what the piece is certainly. But out of my league at the moment. Still, perhaps one day for a special anniversary! I would want to take a trip to SF for such an expensive work of art, too, so that would also make it a little more complex for me. Anyways, I will live vicariously through you for now ;))

You're welcome. I know that it can be frustrating to have no idea if your guesses about pricing are even in the ballpark, and it helps to have a general idea.

Something from VC for a special anniversary would be wonderful, and a trip to SF would make it even better. That's more or less what we did, too. It was a very delayed 25th, 30th, etc. anniversary present!

mousey

Shiny_Rock
I love this SO much. Its so so so beautiful. And such an amazing present to represent so many years of marriage. I showed it to my BF- he is usually bored by jewelry (cept our JM engagement ring), and he said 'WOW, I am going to get you something like that when we are married 30 years'.
Enjoy and wear in good health, and may it bring you many more years of love and happiness

tzelin

Rough_Rock
Itis a very beautiful ring. I am very happy for you. And happy anniversary to you, too!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its like a little piece of art...would love to see some hand shots!

snoopkat

Shiny_Rock
Oh I love pink sapphire and your pictures took my breath away :love: The colour of your stone looks alot like mine, it's such a vibrant and happy colour :) Looking forward to seeing more hand shots.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
snoopkat, tyty333, tzelin and mousey: Thank you for the compliments on the ring, and for the anniversary well-wishes. My DH and I have been together for over 37 years, and married for (pausing to count on fingers)over 31 years, so these rings actually are a late/combined celebration of our commitment. And as far as I am concerned, nothing says commitment better than beautiful jewelry! :lol: :lol: ;)) I'll post some handshots later, for some reason I am having trouble uploading them to the image control panel. I uploaded some handshot photos of the other rings for SMTB, and now all I'm getting is duplicates when I try to upload photos of the sapphire ring.

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
Aoife: the ring is such an intricate beauty! And 37 years together is really a blessing. The ring is perfect for the celebration; congratulations!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
What a great combo!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Atwater and innerkitten: Thank you!

Atwater, 37 years together has been a blessing. I dearly love my DH...now if only he would remember to put his dirty clothes in the hamper as opposed to beside the hamper.....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results