shape
carat
color
clarity

Value?

smc7277

Rough_Rock
A coworker is selling a .46 round diamond set in a 14k simple solitaire setting. I saw the insurance appraisal which indicates it is h and vvs2. The insurance appraisal doesnt include measurements or anything beyond the prior info. I am interested in it-not as a ring but to use the stone in a bezel set w/halo pendant. He is asking $1000 or bo. I dont assume it is certed. I did see it, very sparkly, eye clean. My E ring is an H and I am fairly sure that is correct as I am pretty color sensitive.
I am thinking of making him an offer. What do you think a fair price would be? I am seeing similar stones with good-excellent cut ratings online for $1000-1200. I am guessing I could get a little something back for the gold in scrap.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
smc7277|1315604398|3013922 said:
A coworker is selling a .46 round diamond set in a 14k simple solitaire setting. I saw the insurance appraisal which indicates it is h and vvs2. The insurance appraisal doesnt include measurements or anything beyond the prior info. I am interested in it-not as a ring but to use the stone in a bezel set w/halo pendant. He is asking $1000 or bo. I dont assume it is certed. I did see it, very sparkly, eye clean. My E ring is an H and I am fairly sure that is correct as I am pretty color sensitive.
I am thinking of making him an offer. What do you think a fair price would be? I am seeing similar stones with good-excellent cut ratings online for $1000-1200. I am guessing I could get a little something back for the gold in scrap.

Can you take it to an appraiser yourself before you make an offer. You could use the PS search on H / VVS2 to see prices (then offer a % of that since it's second hand). But i'd validate the H/VS2 first.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since you are in NY I would also recommend Engagement Rings Direct. Good luck.

RobertLejman_ISA_GG

Rough_Rock
Trade
A lack of measurements could be a red flag. Sometimes a seller won't want measurements mentioned because the cut may be off a little or a lot.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I would try to bring it to your own appraiser for their opinion and get measurements- BUT that will cost you.

If you saw it and really want it- then I would offer 750. I feel like 75% of the current retail value is a good offer for second hand.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
smc7277|1315604398|3013922 said:
Without good grading you know NOTHING. The difference between an VVS2 and an SI2 usually takes both tools and some skills. An incomplete report from an unknown appraiser tells you zip. By the way, it tells the seller zip as well. HE'S the one who should be the one getting a decent appraisal since he's the one making repsentations about it. Frankly, I would probably recommend he get it taken out of the setting and submitted to a real lab but without knowing more I'm not even sure of that. He should start with a real appraisal from a real appraiser and go from there. If that VVS2 is anything like correct, no buyer is going to give him any credibility with anything less than a real lab report. In the meantime, you should duck it entirely.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you think it is beeeoootiful to your eyes and would like it in a pendant and can get it for about $250, and your own appraiser verifies it is a diamond ;)) , that could be worth it because that price is so low that the grade alwamost does not matter.

Otherwise I would pass.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1315689056|3014612 said:
If you think it is beeeoootiful to your eyes and would like it in a pendant and can get it for about $250, and your own appraiser verifies it is a diamond ;)) , that could be worth it because that price is so low that the grade alwamost does not matter.

Otherwise I would pass.

True. Unless you can confirm the grading their is no ways to accurately know the value. Getting it for a steal is the only way I would buy it without knowing precise stats.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results