shape
carat
color
clarity

Value of an uncut sapphire

Sapphirenewby

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I'm completely new to sapphire fossicking and found this stone from Inverell, NSW, Australia. I'm not sure whether it is possible for anyone to hazard a guess from photos but is it at all valuable? Many thanks if anyone can help.

sapphire_side_1.jpg

sapphire_side_0.jpg

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hard to tell from the pictures but the stone looks opaque to me (could be my monitor settings, these work computers are not fantastic). I wouldn't think it would be worth huge $$, cabochon grade most likely from what I can see.

Inverell is a fascinating place which I would really love to go to, it produces some amazing blue sapphires that could rival some of the world's well-known sources of finer stones. Yet there is a bias against Aussie Sapphires as being too dark and inky in colour. AussieJamie's thread from a couple months ago has some fantastic Aussie Blue sapphires that made the regular critics of Aussie sapphires begin swooning over stones they've been hating for years - even begging him to sell them!! Might be worth having a look at :)

Sapphirenewby

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help, much appreciated. I will check out that thread.

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Sapphirenewby,
Glad to see you getting out there and finding some gems in one of my favourite spots! What you have there is a trapiche sapphire which is cab grade but still look decent when polished. You can see the star inclusion in the middle of the stone but this is not a star sapphire as the star will not float around your stone when you move it. I have polished a few of these for friends that have been down there. Good luck with your digs!!!! :)

AJ

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
sapphirenewby, here's a link to aussiejamie's thread:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gday-from-down-under.213964/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gday-from-down-under.213964/[/URL]

Hey Jamie had a feeling you'd pop into this one mate :D
I gotta have a word to the boss at work about these monitors, I cannot see the star marking in that rough at all. Although I suppose I don't really need high definition for getting emergency reports and sending out teams to deal with them :lol:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see the makings of the star too. It's not valuable monetarily but who's to say it isn't valuable to you emotionally and personally? :))

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just pulled it up on my phone, wow the difference is night and day. I haven't seen too many trapiche sapphires before, if you polish the stone then make sure you share the finished results with us Sapphirenewby!

This little experience with my screens tonight is just further confirmation that pictures are virtually useless when it comes to assessing gemstones lol.

Sapphirenewby

Rough_Rock
Thanks for everyone's help. I will definitely enquire about getting it polished and share the results if I do!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results