shape
carat
color
clarity

Valuation required in London area

jimmyharris80

Rough_Rock
Apologies if this is the incorrect forum, wasn't sure where to put it.

I posted on here over a year ago regarding my purchase and received lots of helpful information, however I've forgotten my user id and password so have had to register again.

I'm looking for a valuer in the London area that can value my partners engagement ring for insurance purposes. I have a valuation from a Australian valuer that was obtained a year ago, however, I'd like to get a value in my local currency and a cost to replace from here in the UK.

Any suggestions for reliable valuers in the London area will be gratefully received.

Thanks.

jimmyharris80

Rough_Rock
Shameless bump...

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Jimmy,

Sorry about that, I must have missed your thread!

I will see if I can page Pandora, she might have some suggestions for you concerning appraisers in the London area. There are a couple listed here but they aren't in London so are you able to travel or send the ring?

http://www.adrian-smith.co.uk

http://www.jewelleryvaluer.com/index.html

jimmyharris80

Rough_Rock
Hi Lorelei and thank you,

Once of those valuers is in Scotland which is about a 8 hour drive form my house, a bit of a trek! The other I'm not sure about so I have emailed him to find out.

I'd prefer not to send the ring via post so if you hear anything back from Pandora on valuers in the London area it would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jimmyharris80|1295964703|2832515 said:
Hi Lorelei and thank you,

Once of those valuers is in Scotland which is about a 8 hour drive form my house, a bit of a trek! The other I'm not sure about so I have emailed him to find out.

I'd prefer not to send the ring via post so if you hear anything back from Pandora on valuers in the London area it would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks

I understand and I will see what I can find out for you from Pan, bear with me and hopefully I will have some info for you presently.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Hi! :wavey:

If you can wait till later this evening or tomorrow am I'll get some recommendations for you. I'm in Hatton Garden this evening so will ask around.

ETA: Thanks for the page Lorelei - you can normally find me in CS as well as FFH!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora|1295967938|2832561 said:
Hi! :wavey:

If you can wait till later this evening or tomorrow am I'll get some recommendations for you. I'm in Hatton Garden this evening so will ask around.

ETA: Thanks for the page Lorelei - you can normally find me in CS as well as FFH!

Thanks so much Pan, good to know I can track you down in CS also! :wavey:

jimmyharris80

Rough_Rock
Thanks Pandora, later tonight or tomorrow is fine.

Hatton Garden is just round the corner from my partners work so could drop the piece round one lunchtime over the next couple of weeks.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Okay... back with 'interesting' instructions! :bigsmile:

Go to 'Boutique 36' at 36, Hatton Garden. It's open to the public. Go in and go right to the very back where you will see a place called 'Vision of Diamonds'. Go in and ask to speak to 'Frankie' and tell him that Anthony sent you.

Hope that doesn't sound too weird/dodgy! Anthony is a good friend of mine, has been in the business for years and really recommends this guy. He's young and apparently he's GIA trained and was also a cutter for DB out in SA. Anyway, I'd 100% trust Anthony's recommendations as he knows his stuff and has a good eye.

Let me know how you get on!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I recommend buying a ticket to Colorado. In addition to getting a jewelry appraisal, we've got some of the best ski conditions in years.
:appl:

Failing that, try contacting the folks at the Gemmological Association of Great Britain to see if they've got a referral for you.
www.gem-a.com

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I'm a little uncomfortable leaving an uninsured ring at any appraiser.

What sort of documentation should I ask from the appraiser to prove he has my ring?

Or do all of you get on-the-spot appraisals?

Is it foolish to leave my rings with him??

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
denverappraiser|1295993618|2832899 said:
I recommend buying a ticket to Colorado. In addition to getting a jewelry appraisal, we've got some of the best ski conditions in years.

Failing that, try contacting the folks at the Gemmological Association of Great Britain to see if they've got a referral for you.
www.gem-a.com

That's where I was this evening - I'm in the second year of the FGA - and asked for referrals there. You could pop in and ask in the shop (Gem-A is on the corner of Greville Street/Saffron Hill) but whether anyone would know or be allowed to give referrals I don't know. They have a very small number of staff and it would totally depend on being lucky and getting the right person. If you do want to do that then try this week as they're all off to Tucson on Saturday.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
rosetta|1295994570|2832914 said:
I'm a little uncomfortable leaving an uninsured ring at any appraiser.

What sort of documentation should I ask from the appraiser to prove he has my ring?

Or do all of you get on-the-spot appraisals?

Is it foolish to leave my rings with him??

First, I would always insure the ring on my household insurance for what I actually paid - telling them that I am getting an appraisal done and will up my cover if necessary. It's very common to increase insurance on things as values change.

When I leave an item with a jeweller I expect to receive a receipt stating what I have left. However with coloured stones you may well get a receipt that states something like 'platinum ring containing oval red stone' rather than stating ruby. The jeweller would need to conduct tests to be sure it is a ruby. If he writes 'ruby' and it turns out to be paste then the client could claim that the stone is not theirs as it's not a ruby and yet it stated ruby on the receipt (hope that makes sense!). It should also state the service you are obtaining and the cost - if it's a repair then it should have the details of the repair.

It is also sensible for the jeweller to state on the receipt any damage that they can see like a scratch or chip. Basically it's a bit like hiring a car - the hire firm will note the condition of the car before you leave and any new damage when you get back!

There should be two copies of the receipt and you should both sign them. You get one and they keep one.

It's also good to know your stone's 'finger-prints' ie the inclusions or other identifying marks. When you pick the piece up, ask for a loupe and check that you can see those markers. Don't feel embarrassed or like you are indicating you don't trust them. It's very important that everything is as it should be BEFORE you leave the store so take your time, don't feel rushed.

I always ask for personal recommendations, I am happy to leave my rings - although I am very obsessive about checking that they will be careful with my tsavorite. The chance of someone switching your diamond or stealing your ring is very, very small. The jewellery business is small and somewhat incestuous and reputation is everything. No sane jeweller is going to risk damaging what they may have spent years building up for the sake of a couple of carats of carbon! I'm not saying it doesn't ever happen but it's extremely rare.

Anyway, this is just my 0.02 pennies worth...

jimmyharris80

Rough_Rock
Pandora|1295993329|2832895 said:
Okay... back with 'interesting' instructions! :bigsmile:

Go to 'Boutique 36' at 36, Hatton Garden. It's open to the public. Go in and go right to the very back where you will see a place called 'Vision of Diamonds'. Go in and ask to speak to 'Frankie' and tell him that Anthony sent you.

Hope that doesn't sound too weird/dodgy! Anthony is a good friend of mine, has been in the business for years and really recommends this guy. He's young and apparently he's GIA trained and was also a cutter for DB out in SA. Anyway, I'd 100% trust Anthony's recommendations as he knows his stuff and has a good eye.

Let me know how you get on!

Thanks Pandora, that's great, if a little dodgy!

It's more than likely going to be next week now as I need to get the GIA Cert from my partners place.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much Pan! :appl: :appl: :appl:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much Pandora!

I have an SI2 stone and can find some inclusions without a loupe, so I can check it quite easily.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
denverappraiser|1295993618|2832899 said:

www.gem-a.com

Thanks for the link Neil, I know it will come in handy!

jimmyharris80

Rough_Rock
Hi Pandora,

Went along to see Frankie today and got a valuation there and then while I waited, a good price too as I mentioned Anthony's name! Nice, knowledgable bloke, pointed out a couple of things with the ring craftmanship that he would have done a bit better himself, so all helpful stuff. What he pointed out was on the underside so not visible while it's worn.

Valuation came in at twice what I paid for the ring and diamond combined so very pleased with that. He's also going to look at the risizing and additional engraving the ring needs after it was increased too much in size in the heat of Australia. Now it's cold back here it's slightly too big.

All in all very pleased, so thanks for the reecommendation.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jimmyharris80|1297090330|2845530 said:
Hi Pandora,

Went along to see Frankie today and got a valuation there and then while I waited, a good price too as I mentioned Anthony's name! Nice, knowledgable bloke, pointed out a couple of things with the ring craftmanship that he would have done a bit better himself, so all helpful stuff. What he pointed out was on the underside so not visible while it's worn.

Valuation came in at twice what I paid for the ring and diamond combined so very pleased with that. He's also going to look at the risizing and additional engraving the ring needs after it was increased too much in size in the heat of Australia. Now it's cold back here it's slightly too big.

All in all very pleased, so thanks for the reecommendation.

Glad it all worked out well and special thanks to Pandora!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Brilliant, glad it all worked out well.

Anthony told me that he was very picky - and have heard good things about him from other sources too.

Thanks for coming back to let us know, it's always helpful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results