shape
carat
color
clarity

Valentine''s Day gifts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is a silly post more than anything. I know a lot of ppl think Vday is a manufactured holiday that shouldn''t be celebrated.

What do you have your eye on for Valentine''s day gifts?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing...
39.gif
Hubby doesn't do valentines and sadly, I agree. We should show our love and appreciation for each everyday and not just on V-day.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
FI and I usually just get each other cards on Vday. We''re not big gift people anyway, but sometimes we might go out to dinner (we really use holidays as an excuse to splurge on food
37.gif
)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hubby''s bday is the next day, am having a dinner party to celebrate it. Vday for us isn''t a big deal. We do buy cards, but that''s about it.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 11:46:04 AM
Author: elrohwen
FI and I usually just get each other cards on Vday. We''re not big gift people anyway, but sometimes we might go out to dinner (we really use holidays as an excuse to splurge on food
37.gif
)
Yep, we exchange cards, DH gives me flowers, and we go out to eat. We don''t drink very often, so when we go out to dinner, I usually have a few beers as a treat and then we go see a movie. That''ll probably be our plan for this year as long as we find someone to watch the kids.

With my kids, it''s different. They keep asking for stuff for Vday and it''s really bugging me. I''m not quite sure where/how all the marketing is coming from aside from the asiles of candy at the grocery store. This year, they''ll each get a $4.99 packet of Pokemon cards and a bit of candy. Then both of their classes are doing the card exchange and most of the kids attach candy to the cards. It''s almost as bad as Halloween!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mc,
This is new to me. So now parents have to buy V-day gifts for the children too?
33.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 11:38:54 AM
Author:Hudson_Hawk
This is a silly post more than anything. I know a lot of ppl think Vday is a manufactured holiday that shouldn''t be celebrated.

What do you have your eye on for Valentine''s day gifts?
I like silly posts.

I''m hoping for a big heart with loads of chocolate inside. I''m actually hoping for two. One that I can eat in 2.5 seconds without feeling bad because there''s still another that I can have for a few days
3.gif

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 11:46:04 AM
Author: elrohwen
37.gif
)
Hehe we do too
3.gif
3.gif
3.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 11:53:35 AM
Author: Chrono
Mc,
33.gif
Apparently so. That is what I'm trying to figure out: where my kids got the idea. I'm starting to worry that I must have, at one point, while being preoccupied (maybe driving down the road or cooking dinner) promised them something!!! lol
20.gif

Oh well. At least they're not asking for diamond studded lego sets
1.gif

I did tell my son he can have one coin from my coin collection - an old Peso!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
You know, we don''t celebrate it...not really. But if it happens to fall on a "school night" he might get some mid week action my DH might not have otherwise seen... and he likes that a LOT more than chocolate or a card.
31.gif

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
FI has already laid down the law.
3.gif
I agree though. He said we're not going to buy/give anything this year (not that we have done much before, just a little note or a movie date or something) because we have bills and stuff with timelines that need to be paid off. True... but no fun!!
3.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 11:56:12 AM
Author: MC

Date: 2/3/2009 11:53:35 AM
Mc,
33.gif
Apparently so. That is what I''m trying to figure out: where my kids got the idea. I''m starting to worry that I must have, at one point, while being preoccupied (maybe driving down the road or cooking dinner) promised them something!!! lol
20.gif

Oh well. At least they''re not asking for diamond studded lego sets
1.gif

I did tell my son he can have one coin from my coin collection - an old Peso!
LOL

My mom always got us gifts but they were usually a little heart with candy or a bear (for me) with a card. Nothing major. I send my mom a big floral arrangment each year.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
A card would be sweet...even an email. But honestly, we spent so much money over Christmas and he on my ring and my birthday, I am not "hoping" for anything. I did find out that FFIL is taking all the "girls" (bf''s mom, sister and me) out for dinner, so that will be a special treat.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With 3 girls in the house, it''s going to be Pandora bracelets for each of us!
30.gif
DD1 already has hers plus 3 charms, so she''ll just be getting a charm for it since I bought her the bracelet and first charm. DD2 has to commit to picking a charm and bracelet length. I''ve already ordered my bracelet and 3 charms (store was sold out).
2.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, this is the first time I''m reading that parents do gift their children and vice versa. I''ve never gotten my parents anything.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing, we don''t exchange gifts or go out.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
We are a Valentine's Day is every day kind of couple, but hubby still likes to get me a V-gift--and I like to get him something, because it's fun!

And yes, I have my eye on a gift.
31.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 11:58:19 AM
Author: luvthemstrawberries
FI has already laid down the law.
3.gif
I agree though. He said we''re not going to buy/give anything this year (not that we have done much before, just a little note or a movie date or something) because we have bills and stuff with timelines that need to be paid off. True... but no fun!!
3.gif
Strawberries, maybe for something fun you guys can make dinner together and eat at the dining room table (something FI and I rarely do) with some candles or something? It wouldn''t be anything more expensive than a typical night where you make dinner, but you could make it a little more special just by telling yourselves that it''s special. Maybe throw in a nice bottle of wine.
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 12:18:53 PM
Author: Addy
Nothing, we don't exchange gifts or go out.
Regarding going out to eat. . .Does anyone choose to go out the day before or after Vday to avoid the crowds?

One year, we went to a Mexican resturant that DH and I love and the place is insanely noisy. Definetely not an intimate place for couples because often times when we've gone there, we've nearly had to yell to hear each other talk. That year we brought the boys along and were seated next to a couple who obviously picked the wrong venue for their evening out. Our kids were well behaved, but still talked and had fun and THAT is why we chose that resturant since we went as a family to a family eatery. The couple by us kept giving us dirty looks like we had ruined their special occasion. Maybe we'll eat out on a different night to avoid the pressure that we encountered that year to make sure the night was special for other people!
20.gif
lol

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2009 12:11:51 PM
Oh, this is the first time I''m reading that parents do gift their children and vice versa. I''ve never gotten my parents anything.
That is very sad.
8.gif
I remember growing up I''d always get a heart shaped plastic container of those cinammon hearts and something small. So it was just a tradition we continued with our girls. If we''d had boys, I don''t know how that would have gone, maybe just consummables? My husband just treats all 3 of us sort of the same on V-day, and we often have themes though less expensive ones than this year. Chocolates, flowers, things like that.

We might order in food, but we wouldn''t go to a restaurant on a holiday here in this town, just too loud and crowded. We''d do lunch or go a day before or after.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 11:50:34 AM
Author: Kaleigh
Hubby''s bday is the next day, am having a dinner party to celebrate it. Vday for us isn''t a big deal. We do buy cards, but that''s about it.
TGuy and your hubby share the same birthday!

Because of this, (and because I don''t like valentine''s day in general), we don''t do anything big. However, we do open up a nice bottle of wine bought specifically for valentines day throughout the year and saved, and have a meal at home.

We take the label and put it in a journal along with a photo of the two of us taken at our dinner, and we write a short little note to each other reflecting on the past year. I call it our valenwine journal.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I'm getting a something in a little blue box! My first ever! I can now die happy.
36.gif

Oh and I got my FI a headset for his iPhone.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Don''t worry about it Chrono! Lots of people don''t do it. I did so because my dad used to make a big deal on Valentine''s Day for my mom and I and when he passed, the first Valentine''s without him made my mom really sad. So I went out with my tutoring money and got her some flowers and a card and said it was from my brothers (the men of the house). We have kept that tradition but now its more of a competition with my brothers since they have money...who can get the biggest floral arrangment and best candy LOL. My mom loves it because her fav thing in the world are flowers.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2009 12:25:01 PM
Author: MC
Date: 2/3/2009 12:18:53 PM

Author: Addy

Nothing, we don''t exchange gifts or go out.
Regarding going out to eat. . .Does anyone choose to go out the day before or after Vday to avoid the crowds?

We''re crowd avoiders. We book places for 7:30 or 8 when we go out at all to avoid the crowd, which typically eats later. Honestly, we celebrate very few holidays and most of the time we either eat at a different time to the crowd or cook at home. Places sometimes do a set menu for special holidays and I want more choice than that.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
double post

aliceinwonderland

Shiny_Rock
He''s surprising me with a dinner out somewhere and then maybe cards and tiny gift, nice chocolates or something but no real gifts!

:) Alice

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
We NEVER used to do anything for Valentine''s day except exchange cards (and go to the Vagina Monologues - I was in it one year, so DH and I went every year when I/we were in college), but we went out for V-day last year and really liked it - it was fun to get dressed up and do something special in that void between Xmas, my birthday, and our anny. We''ve been talking about going the same place this year - a small, moderately priced local Italian restaurant. Yum.

Last year, DH got me orangey-pink roses, so I dunno, maybe I''ll get flowers again this year? We rarely bring flowers into the house because the cats try to eat them, so flowers are kinda special. I''d love a small red or pink-themed gift though - a cute coach keychain or something would be fun.

My gift to DH is that I make dessert. This year, I''m making tirimisu!

DebShine

Shiny_Rock
FIREYRED - That is the sweetest story ever! I love that tradition. Give your brothers a big shout out!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2009 12:36:36 PM
Author: fieryred33143

Don''t worry about it Chrono! Lots of people don''t do it. I did so because my dad used to make a big deal on Valentine''s Day for my mom and I and when he passed, the first Valentine''s without him made my mom really sad. So I went out with my tutoring money and got her some flowers and a card and said it was from my brothers (the men of the house). We have kept that tradition but now its more of a competition with my brothers since they have money...who can get the biggest floral arrangment and best candy LOL. My mom loves it because her fav thing in the world are flowers.
That is incredibly sweet of you siblings.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Oh, we celebrate V-day. My parents always did something special for my sister and I growing up, too. My Mom would always get us manicures, or little pieces of jewelry. My Dad always bought us each a stuffed animal and chocolates.

So now that I have a family of my own...we celebrate! I send cards to all of my friends...and I also buy little silver tin buckets which I decorate with stickers and junk and stuff to the hilt with candy for their families. Mark and I are a bit more elaborative. I bought him a Wii game, Love Letters Your Were Never Meant To See and an Ed Hardy hoodie he'd been eyeing.

My sister, who is single, gets a half dozen roses from Mark and I sent to school. And for my parents, I usually take them out breakfast.

As for me...I have no idea what I'm getting this year...but he says he's already got it....hmmmm....

ETA: We buy each dog a new shirt, a new toy, and organic puppy ice cream (blueberry vanilla).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results