shape
carat
color
clarity

Vaccinations-has anyone declined any?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Jas
Co will need to be vaccinated for varicella. The antibody isotope for varicella is IgG, and that’s passed through the placenta during pregnancy and not in breast milk. Breast milk contains IgA.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/6/2009 4:27:18 PM
Author: swimmer
Lindsey, You might have hit the nail on the head there. I can't imagine the flood of emotions when discovering that a child is autistic. The need to point fingers is understandable and yes, everyone does get vaccines. But that does not make for a causal relationship.

Many school districts have had difficulties with what to do with kids who are not allowed inside the school because of not being vaccinated and yet the law requires that the student receive an education.

I don't understand the comment earlier about there being no adult vaccinations...don't all adults regularly get updates/boosters for rabies, tetanus, etc? link I travel a great deal in the developing world so have seen what happens when vaccinations are not possible. But I think these are even necessary when interacting with other humans at Costco.
I have never, ever received boosters to any vaccinations I had as a child. Furthermore, other than a Dr. asking on a new patient form if I have had vaccinations, not one ever took the time to discuss boosters. Only thing they ask is if I want is a flu shot when the time comes. I've not traveled out of the u.s. at all so there was/is no need for yellowfever shot for example.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/6/2009 6:34:28 PM
Author: mela lu
Date: 4/6/2009 5:21:36 PM

Author: basil

ETA: I agree with you on IBS, but I don''t get why you think GERD and Traveler''s diarrhea aren''t real? Or how traveler''s diarrhea makes money for pharm companies? Maybe I''m just out of the loop on that one.

Traveller''s Diarrhea and GERD are certainly real, I was referring to the way these are advertised and marketed. They say ''talk to your doctor if you are travelling and want to avoid travellers diarrhea'' thereby planting the seed of fear in people. There are a lot of instances where the advertising/ marketing try to drive a certain consumer behaviour that may or may not be *necessary*.

2.gif

Ah, I get it now. Yeah, I think most drug company marketing to consumers is wasteful. I''ve never seen an ad for traveler''s diarrhea though. What do they market, Cipro? Maybe it''s a Canadian thing
1.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Basal makes some good points here. I think a lot of people just don''t know why we immunize. I thought I could go through a couple diseases we immunize against.

1) HIB - a vaccine for Haemophilus influenzae B - this is a bacteria that causes many upper respiratory tract infections. However, we immunize because it can cause meningitis in babies. Bacterial meningitis is really, really, bad. There is no easier way to put it. Once I was lecturing, and I was saying I saw lots of (mild viral) cases of meningitis on the ward one month, as there were white blood cells in the cerebral spinal fluid. A bunch of 40+ attendings in the back row started yelling that I don''t know what meningitis is, because I started residency post HIB. They said, when their were residents, meningitis was when they tapped the back and got pus. Now, kids who get that have all sorts of neurological problems including cerebral palsy, developmental delay....that is if they survive. This disease also causes an infection of the vocal cord that can cause the airway to swell close very quickly. These kids at minim got a breathing tube placed as soon as the doctors realized what it was, as the throat can close so tight, that the tube may not fit. This is a super rare thing to see now. I have never seen it. This would not be one I would delay in my future child, and I see this one get delayed a lot by parents who want to wait...this baffles me, because the bacteria is around, and the outcome can be so bad. Before this immunization, this was the most common type of bacterial meningitis in children.

2) Since someone mentioned it - the N Meningitiditis immunization - I was in line for that one as soon as it came out. This is a horrible form of meningitis that tends to hit people living in small spaces with lots of people, like college dorms. That is why people are immunized when they are older. This disease kills people and causes an infection so bad that if you survive, you can very easily have brain damage, or loose your limbs. It is very fast, and if the ER recognizes this, they are supposed to try to get antibiotics into you within an hour or two at the most....now, knowing how the ER works, do I want to trust them to get something done in 2 hours?

Well, I''ll stop here for now.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn''t read the comment so please forgive me if I am repeating something someone else has already said but the MAJOR problem I have with Jenny M is that she had a VERY difficult labor. Her son actually stopped breathing if I recall correctly. Why does she not wonder that *maybe* the circumstances he entered the world *could* have affected his brain? My doctor only gives 3 shots at a time. I have never refused one. I come from a medial family (as does my DH) and my sister actually teaches special ed...none of them have any concerns re Vacs. My dad is actually really anal about me staying with our pedi''s schedule. He seemed concerned when we delayed one b/c the doc''s office ran out. She got it a few weeks late.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results