shape
carat
color
clarity

Vaccinations: Do your kids get them?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Mine are 18, 16, and 10 and fully vaccinated. My oldest got shingles when she was 16. Shingles is from the same virus as chicken pox, which means she had the virus from having chicken pox when she was 3. It also means she was likely exposed to the chicken pox virus and circumstances were just right and BAM! She developed shingles. She has a HUGE scar on her face where the tissue was literally destroyed between her eyes. She had breakouts near her right eye and could have lost her eyesight. Believe me, whoever didn''t vaccinate their kids and let them get chicken pox and brush near my daughter did her no favors. She was one very sick girl. The few days she was breaking out, the pediatrician, the eye doctor all failed to properly diagnose her. Breakouts continued for 5 days and the doc swore it couldn''t be shingles. I took her to the dermatologist on the 5th day and she diagnosed it walking into the room. She started on the meds and the sores that were popping out on that day did not mature as much as the others.

My youngest got the chicken pox shot (it wasn''t out when my oldest was little and she had the pox instead). My youngest did get the chicken pox inspite of having the shot. HOWEVER, she had a much milder case. I do feel bad that she may have infected some kids before we knew she had a case of them. I would never want anyone to go through the scarring that my older daughter has.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
my daughters were fully vaccinated before they started school. sometime i''d wonder about all these vaccinations,good or bad ?
Idunno1.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/23/2009 11:41:04 PM
Author: hlmr
What I really don''t agree with is the flu shot. I am so against it for average healthy people. I understand the elderly and anyone who is prone to illness getting it though.
funny thing about them flu shots...
i known a few friends whom always get their flu shot every year and they are the ones that usually get hit with the flu. i never had a flu shot in life and haven''t caught the flu in 15 yrs.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2009 2:49:14 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

What I really don''t agree with is the flu shot. I am so against it for average healthy people. I understand the elderly and anyone who is prone to illness getting it though.
i known a few friends whom always get their flu shot every year and they are the ones that usually get hit with the flu. i never had a flu shot in life and haven''t caught the flu in 15 yrs.
this is true, the time i get the flu shot, I always got the flu, and I''ve mentioned this to my dr. and they always tell me the same thing, "ohh you just got hit with a different strain of flu" but the years, I don''t get the flu shot... not sick!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2009 10:35:44 PM
Author: neatfreak
GOOD. I also feel it's irresponsible not to. Those who don't vaccinate rely on the 'herd' immunity of others for their own children's safety-and as more and more parents choose not to vaccinate we are seeing a resurgence of DEADLY childhood diseases in communities (and often affluent ones). Very scary stuff-we aren't talking about chicken pox here.
Ditto - children still die or are left brain-damaged by measles.

My daughter will have all her vaccinations at the recommended times.

Re: the flu shot, it doesn't mean that you won't get flu just that it should be less severe. Here the shots are only available to specific groups. Dh has one every year as he has no spleen and hence reduced immunity - he still gets flu but it's milder than it would be without. I don't have it, but I also have a very strong immune system and have only had flu twice in my life!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I plan on having my son vaccinated, he's due for his second set in a few weeks. I might see about a more staggered approach for the MMR, but I haven't talked to my Dr about it yet. I do also wonder, if the shots cause autism, then why does it hit the genders differently... I think it's just more awareness of the condition and more kids getting diagnosed correctly than previous generations.

Parents do have the right to not vaccinate their children, but is it actually good for the kids, or are they causing more potential harm to the them?

I have had the flue shot a few times, but I didn't get the flu very often even before the shot, so I don't know if it has really changed anything.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock

Yep, that does seem to apply to a lot of people. Unfortunately, the strains that the flu shot protects against are usually not the ones that are around many months later come flu season, so it is reasonable to expect the get the flu even after having the shot. I think the very best preventative measure to avoid getting sick is to wash your hands often, and very well.

sasa

Brilliant_Rock
My son was hospitalized for Kawasaki Disease when he was 8 months. With the treatment he received at the hospital we need to delay his MMR & chicken pox vaccines until he is 19 months. He is up to date on his other vaccines. But we did decide to spaced out the remaining vaccines after the Kawasaki episode.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
The yearly flu shot is a a different class of vaccination in my mind...yes, the flu kills some people every year, but they tend to be high risk folks. It is different to decline the flu vaccination and say the Hepatitis B vaccination which works best when given soon after birth. In working in orphanages and schools in SE Asia, West Africa, and the Middle East in areas where vaccinations are not readily available, and prenatal care is pretty much non-existent in the populations I worked with, I just can not imagine turning down proven medical preventions for diseases that VERY MUCH DO CONTINUE TO KILL CHILDREN. DAILY. Many of their deaths could have been prevented by a vaccination...but some people in western countries CHOOSE to leave their children unprotected. It boggles my mind.

To assume that Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Hep B, Polio, Meningitis, etc. are not a problem in your area, perhaps a lovely middle class town, is to assume that your child will never use public transportation, go to large gatherings in museums, schools, libraries, concerts, movie theaters, etc. And you are assuming that your child will never travel beyond that town or meet people from other regions of the globe. The world is getting smaller and smaller, why not protect your child? I understand spacing them out, that makes sense for some, but denying immunity to some of the world''s most deadly and yet preventable diseases seems tantamount to teaching your kid to not brush their teeth and just hope for the best.

As I posted in the last thread on this, some states in the US allow an exemption for "conscience" and allow non-vaccinated students to attend public school. Some states do not allow any exemptions for those kids to attend public schools. Those parents who do not get their kids vaccinated should check that out before moving to a new state. Many private universities do not allow un-vaccinated students to attend.

My pet gets vaccinated, yes, my children will too.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Yes my daughter is fully vaccinated. Only shot I didnt want her to get but she did anyway is varicella. I dont get flu shots, my husband doesnt get the flu shot & my daughter won''t either. If she had an underlying medical condition I would have her get it but she doesn''t so it''s a no go. Another vaccine I''m not so sure about is Gardasil because it is new but I don''t have to worry about that one for a while.

sparklyheart

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have kids so I can''t speak to that. I can only speak to vaccinations from the viewpoint of a healthcare worker. You can always find a link between everything. Haven''t you heard, everything causes cancer? The point of vaccines is to achieve herd immunity..meaning that if enough people are vaccinated then the disease cannot survive and therefore people won''t suffer from these horrible diseases. The chicken pox pandemic of X year was referred to earlier... No, we are not in the middle of that *because* of vaccinations. Polio is not an issue *because* of vaccinations. Kids are dying now because of pertussis. Yeah, the whooping cough grandparents always talk about. Why? Because kids aren''t getting vaccinated.

The problem with many of these illnesses is that healthy adults may get a touch of the disease and it''s no big deal. Get that healthy adult with the disease around a baby who hasn''t developed a mature immune system or around a kid who hasn''t been vaccinated and you have a child with a *preventable* disease.

It amazes me that people fight so hard for a cure for cancer, a cure for AIDS, a cure for *everything* but when a cure is handed to them for diseases that "arent'' a problem anymore" they no longer care. They really aren''t a problem if people are vaccinated.
38.gif

There have been so articles about the lack of evidence linking autism with vaccines. Just do a simple google search and you can read articles from reputable medical journals. I have been trying to scour the internet to find one in particular that talks about how researchers who did not know which kids were autistic were shown home videos from when the kids were less than a year old and they could pick out the autistic ones MUCH earlier than they were actually diagnosed.. MUCH earlier than when they received all of these *bad* vaccines.

If you''re not going to protect your kid, at least do it for your neighbor''s kid, your friend''s kid, your niece, your nephew, that random baby at the store...

I know this sounds kind of harsh but this topic drives me crazy!

There is an article called "Anatomy of a scare" in Newsweek from March 2, 2009 that sums up the history of autism/vaccine research pretty well.
I just have to point out that this all started with a studying involving 12 (yes, TWELVE) patients.. Even though it''s been disputed with multiple studies involving over 5 million patients total, people continue to insist that vaccines cause autism.

The Autism Society of America (http://www.autism-society.org) never mentions vaccines. Yes, they mention environmental toxins and mercury levels but even since the component of vaccines related to mercury has been removed, autism levels are still rising..

I know this won''t change anyone''s mind, but please please please educate yourself using reputable sources so you can make the best decision possible.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
sparklyheart - very well said. I''m not a health care worker, but I''m a (very) soon to be PhD in Immunology, and people who don''t get their kids vaccinated are one of my absolutely biggest pet peeves. It just seems to me the height of arrogance and selfishness to endanger the health of those around you and society at large because of an effect/link that has never been proven, despite rigorous and extensive attempts to do so.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both of my boys (ages 23 and 12) have had all their vaccines, I didnt get my oldest son the chickpox vaccine as it had just came out and he broke out when he was 15 years old and it was BAD, he was out of school for almost 3 weeks, he still has scars from them
7.gif

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 11:37:19 PM
Author: sparklyheart
I don''t have kids so I can''t speak to that. I can only speak to vaccinations from the viewpoint of a healthcare worker. You can always find a link between everything. Haven''t you heard, everything causes cancer? The point of vaccines is to achieve herd immunity..meaning that if enough people are vaccinated then the disease cannot survive and therefore people won''t suffer from these horrible diseases. The chicken pox pandemic of X year was referred to earlier... No, we are not in the middle of that *because* of vaccinations. Polio is not an issue *because* of vaccinations. Kids are dying now because of pertussis. Yeah, the whooping cough grandparents always talk about. Why? Because kids aren''t getting vaccinated.

The problem with many of these illnesses is that healthy adults may get a touch of the disease and it''s no big deal. Get that healthy adult with the disease around a baby who hasn''t developed a mature immune system or around a kid who hasn''t been vaccinated and you have a child with a *preventable* disease.

It amazes me that people fight so hard for a cure for cancer, a cure for AIDS, a cure for *everything* but when a cure is handed to them for diseases that ''arent'' a problem anymore'' they no longer care. They really aren''t a problem if people are vaccinated.
38.gif

There have been so articles about the lack of evidence linking autism with vaccines. Just do a simple google search and you can read articles from reputable medical journals. I have been trying to scour the internet to find one in particular that talks about how researchers who did not know which kids were autistic were shown home videos from when the kids were less than a year old and they could pick out the autistic ones MUCH earlier than they were actually diagnosed.. MUCH earlier than when they received all of these *bad* vaccines.

If you''re not going to protect your kid, at least do it for your neighbor''s kid, your friend''s kid, your niece, your nephew, that random baby at the store...

I know this sounds kind of harsh but this topic drives me crazy!

There is an article called ''Anatomy of a scare'' in Newsweek from March 2, 2009 that sums up the history of autism/vaccine research pretty well.
I just have to point out that this all started with a studying involving 12 (yes, TWELVE) patients.. Even though it''s been disputed with multiple studies involving over 5 million patients total, people continue to insist that vaccines cause autism.

The Autism Society of America (http://www.autism-society.org) never mentions vaccines. Yes, they mention environmental toxins and mercury levels but even since the component of vaccines related to mercury has been removed, autism levels are still rising..

I know this won''t change anyone''s mind, but please please please educate yourself using reputable sources so you can make the best decision possible.
Very well said and I agree 100%

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

could it be b/c... nowadays more couples chose to have kids later on in life ?

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 8:02:57 PM

could it be b/c... nowadays more couples chose to have kids later on in life ?

DF - I think that is one good theory that''s out there. Its also possible, as sh and others have said, that we are just getting better about diagnosing autism earlier and more accurately...

ahappygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, our child is fully vaccinated. I agree wholeheartedly with NF. With both parents specializing in pediatrics, there''s no way our child wouldn''t be vaccinated.

I''ve seen kids with measles (one died), a teen with mumps, and I had chicken pox at 18. I''ve done CPR on an infant with pertussis, more than once. I could go on and on...

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the interesting thing is that so many of the parents who are opposed to vaccination don''t seem to have a clear understanding that these vaccinations were not developed for cute little diseases, but diseases that had/have life-changing or life-threatening potential. I think it''s because the younger parents have never known or seen anyone who HAD one of those nasty diseases. (Polio, now there is one with lifetime repercussions. I knew a gal in college, about 15 years older than me, who had had it. Bad stuff.) Not to mention the screw you mentality demonstrated when they refuse to vaccinate because of a small risk of reaction, while being just fine with YOU vaccinating YOUR kid, and them having the benefit of that herd immunity while doing nothing for the larger society in return.

We had a discussion one time in my office about smallpox, and one gal (not a parent but about 26 and hardly the sharpest knife in the drawer) said, "Well, I mean..what''s the big deal about smallpox, I mean its just like chickenpox."
23.gif
20.gif
I educated her really quickly.

No kids, but I was vaccinated for it all, including smallpox back in the day. If I had kids they would be vaccinated, for their benefit and for what I would consider my duty to the larger population and public health.

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have children yet, but if and when I do they will definitely be fully immunised.

The research that put people off MMR jabs was methodologically flawed and has been entirely discredited by the entire medical community. The doctor that initally proposed the link between MMR and autism was so bad that he has been struck off the medical register.

I think its amazing that we don''t have to worry about our children contracting illnesses such as polio and measles. Yes, its true that all vaccinations carry risks, however the benefits far outweight them.

This issue was actually discussed on the BBC news this morning. There are pockets of the UK where immunisation levels are so low that there have been large outbreaks of illnesses such as measles. There was a lady with her daughter, who hadn''t immunised her, she had contracted measles and was left partially blind.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2009 9:14:26 AM
Author: ksinger
I think the interesting thing is that so many of the parents who are opposed to vaccination don''t seem to have a clear understanding that these vaccinations were not developed for cute little diseases, but diseases that had/have life-changing or life-threatening potential. I think it''s because the younger parents have never known or seen anyone who HAD one of those nasty diseases. (Polio, now there is one with lifetime repercussions. I knew a gal in college, about 15 years older than me, who had had it. Bad stuff.) Not to mention the screw you mentality demonstrated when they refuse to vaccinate because of a small risk of reaction, while being just fine with YOU vaccinating YOUR kid, and them having the benefit of that herd immunity while doing nothing for the larger society in return.

We had a discussion one time in my office about smallpox, and one gal (not a parent but about 26 and hardly the sharpest knife in the drawer) said, ''Well, I mean..what''s the big deal about smallpox, I mean its just like chickenpox.''
23.gif
20.gif
I educated her really quickly.

No kids, but I was vaccinated for it all, including smallpox back in the day. If I had kids they would be vaccinated, for their benefit and for what I would consider my duty to the larger population and public health.
I don''t know why but "cute little diseases" made me laugh.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I feel the benefits surely outweigh the risks, if you look back in time and see how many children died from childhood diseases. I was born a few years after the polio vaccine became available and my parents had friends whose children died from an outbreak of polio. Also, my dad had chicken pox as a child and later developed shingles on his forehead just above his eye his eye in his 50s. He was misdiagnosed and then hospitalized where he nearly died because the shingles began to affect his brain. Luckliy, he only lost the sight in that eye and not his life.

However, I am on the fence about the new vaccine for young girls called Gardisil. The doctor keeps pushing for my DD to get the shot, but I am delaying because there are numerous side effects. I am also interested in seeing if there will be any longterm side effects with this vacine. Her friend got this vaccine when she turned 13 and had a severe reaction (hospitalized with high fever and skin reaction) after the first shot that her mother did not get her the subequent vaccinations.

I will push for the meningicocal vaccine after 3 kids within 4 years died from bacterial meningitis in our school district (one in middle school, 2 in high school).

soocool

Ideal_Rock

I get the flu shot every year and so does my DH and DD. It is not so much of us contracting the flu, but exposing our aging parents to it. Even though our parents who are in their 70s and 80s get the shot, their immune systems are not as strong as ours. If any of us get the flu and come in contact with them, we may not suffer tremendously with the flu,but it could be devastating to them.

I don''t think it''s the idea of not getting the flu, but helping to prevent someone whose immune system is not as strong from coming down with it, such as an infant (how many people want to hold your baby even when they are sick or don''t know they are coming down with something.) or the elderly who are always at the doctors (meaning they come in contact with a lot of people in places where there are a lot of germs and viruses) or just people whose immune systems are compromised, such as a dear friend I lost3 years ago who while undergoing chemo for breast cancer, developed pneumonia after she contracted the flu and died.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2009 3:41:51 PM
Author: soocool
I feel the benefits surely outweigh the risks, if you look back in time and see how many children died from childhood diseases. I was born a few years after the polio vaccine became available and my parents had friends whose children died from an outbreak of polio. Also, my dad had chicken pox as a child and later developed shingles on his forehead just above his eye his eye in his 50s. He was misdiagnosed and then hospitalized where he nearly died because the shingles began to affect his brain. Luckliy, he only lost the sight in that eye and not his life.

However, I am on the fence about the new vaccine for young girls called Gardisil. The doctor keeps pushing for my DD to get the shot, but I am delaying because there are numerous side effects. I am also interested in seeing if there will be any longterm side effects with this vacine. Her friend got this vaccine when she turned 13 and had a severe reaction (hospitalized with high fever and skin reaction) after the first shot that her mother did not get her the subequent vaccinations.

I will push for the meningicocal vaccine after 3 kids within 4 years died from bacterial meningitis in our school district (one in middle school, 2 in high school).
I got the Gardasil vaccine (my third shot is in September). Other than hurting when it was injected and some muscle soreness afterwards, I don't know anybody that's had a reaction to it and a good number of my friends have had it. Honestly, I think it's worth protecting against everything you can. And maybe it was easier for me since I made the decision for my body and not my child's (not that I have one, but you know what I mean), but my theory was that most reactions are going to be less harmful than cancer, so if I can cut down my risk, I was willing to do it.

I do believe in full vaccination, and will be vaccinating any future children. I also plan on moving around with my kids, so I'm sure they'll get more than the average number of vaccines (my siblings and I got Japanese Encephalitis, which is a REALLY fun one
20.gif
).

ETA: I should also add that I'm pushing for my sister to get the Gardasil vaccine. I know what my friends were up to in HS. Even being the prude of the group, I didn't make the best decisions and I think anything that can help cut down the risk of disease to hormonal teenage girls is worth it.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 8:55:25 PM
Author: ahappygirl
Yes, our child is fully vaccinated. I agree wholeheartedly with NF. With both parents specializing in pediatrics, there''s no way our child wouldn''t be vaccinated.

I''ve seen kids with measles (one died), a teen with mumps, and I had chicken pox at 18. I''ve done CPR on an infant with pertussis, more than once. I could go on and on...

I didn''t know there was another ped around! Ltl is, as well! I don''t know any physicians who do not vaccinate their children.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/3/2009 4:46:36 PM
Author: princesss
Date: 6/3/2009 3:41:51 PM

Author: soocool

I got the Gardasil vaccine (my third shot is in September). Other than hurting when it was injected and some muscle soreness afterwards, I don't know anybody that's had a reaction to it and a good number of my friends have had it. Honestly, I think it's worth protecting against everything you can. And maybe it was easier for me since I made the decision for my body and not my child's (not that I have one, but you know what I mean), but my theory was that most reactions are going to be less harmful than cancer, so if I can cut down my risk, I was willing to do it.

I do believe in full vaccination, and will be vaccinating any future children. I also plan on moving around with my kids, so I'm sure they'll get more than the average number of vaccines (my siblings and I got Japanese Encephalitis, which is a REALLY fun one
20.gif
).

ETA: I should also add that I'm pushing for my sister to get the Gardasil vaccine. I know what my friends were up to in HS. Even being the prude of the group, I didn't make the best decisions and I think anything that can help cut down the risk of disease to hormonal teenage girls is worth it.

I did not get Gardasil but I am currently participating in a phase II (or is it III?) trial for a version of the vaccine that protects against 7 or 9 strains of HPV, not 4. I have had all three shots and the worst was some inflammation and pain at the injection site, but it went away within a couple days.

I got the breakdown of the deaths/illnesses from previous Gardasil trials when I signed the consent form. IIRC, most of the deaths of trial participants were from car accidents and suicide, with only about 5 of 20,000 that MAYBE had any relation at all to a medical reason, and 1 or 2 of those deaths were with the placebo.

My mom is a nurse and took both my sisters to get Gardasil - one had no problems, my other sister fainted! She's fine, though.
2.gif

I intend to vaccinate my kids. Heck, due to all these medical studies I've participated in (gotta love being a poor grad student) I'm over vaccinated for diseases! I'm actually trying to get into a smallpox trial as we speak.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2009 7:23:33 PM
Author: icekid
Date: 5/29/2009 8:55:25 PM

Author: ahappygirl

I didn''t know there was another ped around! Ltl is, as well! I don''t know any physicians who do not vaccinate their children.

I know one who insisted on spreading them out even though they fully admitted that the data for doing this was not there. The physician was allowing his wife to make all the decisions. When one of the head doctors realized this was happening in a physician''s family, she mounted an aggressive education series for us to help us talk to people about this. But I have never had a physician refuse immunizations for their children. We do have a nurse who tried to not immunize a NICU baby because she "did not believe in them." The attending quickly threatened her nursing license for not following an order and she did them. She always tries to delay when her patients approach day of life 60, it is really annoying. These are some of the most vulnerable babies we follow.

I don''t have kids, but when I do have them I plan on giving them all the immunizations on schedule.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m definitely vaccinating my kids, and I''m also going into the medical field. I agree with a lot of what has been said above. You can link anything with anything. Did you know working night shifts is linked with cancer? The benefits heavily outweigh the risks in my opinion, on both a personal and societal level.

I definitely had an immunology professor/physician who was just outraged that the Autism-vaccine scare was leading to deaths because moms were preventing their kids from getting vaccinations.

Lol, side note: I personally have probably had more vaccinations than most, including small pox and polio. I also recently got revaccinated for Tetanus, and man is that one a pain in the butt! My shoulder is still sore.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2009 10:17:52 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
I''m definitely vaccinating my kids, and I''m also going into the medical field. I agree with a lot of what has been said above. You can link anything with anything. Did you know working night shifts is linked with cancer? The benefits heavily outweigh the risks in my opinion, on both a personal and societal level.

I definitely had an immunology professor/physician who was just outraged that the Autism-vaccine scare was leading to deaths because moms were preventing their kids from getting vaccinations.

Lol, side note: I personally have probably had more vaccinations than most, including small pox and polio. I also recently got revaccinated for Tetanus, and man is that one a pain in the butt! My shoulder is still sore.
LOL. At first I thought that''s where you got the shot. Whew!
31.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Doesn''t the flu shot protect against the previous year''s virus?

Everyone here says their pro-vaccination. . .I wonder if others on PS have postponed vaccinations but are afraid to speak out? It''s a difficult decision to make and it''s just as difficult to be attacked for making that choice.

One mom friend of mine admitted not finishing vaccinating her older son after he had hurrendous reactions to the first set of vaccinations he had. He ended up in the hospital because of it.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I''m not a parent but of course I will vaccinate my children. Unless I decide to go live on a private island where they run no risk of either contracting or communicating a preventable disease
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results