shape
carat
color
clarity

V-Head vs. Setting Bar

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
Is there any difference in the brilliance of a round stone between a setting with a v-Head vs. a setting with a setting bar?

Does the setting bar cause shadows, reflections or prevent light
from getting in?

Also, should a basket have a hole on the bottom or is it ok for it to be closed. Does this effect the brilliance of the stone?

:loopy:

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
Any info...please.

:loopy:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The most important thing is that the stone is accessible for cleaning.
Some Tiffany style settings get a build up of dirt in them that can never be cleaned out.
A well cut diamond gets most of its light from the front and very little from under the setting (it is pretty dark down there anyway.

moediamond

Rough_Rock
Hi Bedazzled,

As long as the stone is properly "set", it shouldn't impact its brilliance.
Channel set or bar set diamonds can cause shadowing if it's not done correctly.
Basket settings should have an opening at the bottom for better and thorough cleanings.
:bigsmile:

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
moediamond...

Can you please read my post about channel set princess stones and offer your professional opinion?

Thanks.

moediamond

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I've read your post regarding the princess cut setting.
Without seeing the ring, my best guess is that it was poorly set. I understand that the setter's concern was not to chip any stones.
However, channel set Princess cuts just need a hairline of space (by using a 20X loupe during the setting process), to avoid shadows.
The shadows you see is caused by the "trench" that is cut into the metal to secure the stone.
Princess and baguettes need a trench that goes end to end continuously.
Rounds, on the other hand, only need a very small area so that its girdle is tucked in the metal for proper security.
In other words, shadows= bad setting job.
:blackeye:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results