shape
carat
color
clarity

UV light on greygreen diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know some of you wanted me to try this, and here''s a before pic in the LOGR mount

greygreen_before.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And after with the UV light (I finally got one!!)

greygreen_after.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Fascinating! Judging from the pic, it looks like it has blue fluor? Or am I going mad, here?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Did you do this is a dark room? You can see the UV better if it is completely dark. And, yes, it looks like some blue fluor there. Also, in the little stone on the lower right.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL it's difficult to tell from that photo the true colour of the fluor. Try turning on your overhead lights in the evening then shine the UV torch straight on to the diamond and then take a piccie so in other words don't do it in the dark (if that makes sense). It's amazing how different the fluor will look. From the photo you've posted I'm not sure whether it has any fluor or whether that's just the lighting.

After seeing the photo though I'm more convinced you probably have a chameleon and that's why you're seeing the colour shift rather than the fluor aspect - but I could be wrong!!!!!

ETA just noticed that Fly Girl and I have said completely opposite things!
1.gif
Here's a photo I took using the method I suggested:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it does, although I''m not sure what it means in a colored diamond. It actually has a slight yellowish tinge under the UV light as well. My brownish pink turns a distinct blue white under UV. Does that make sense?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry ......... here''s the photo!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/12/2008 5:33:52 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I think it does, although I''m not sure what it means in a colored diamond. It actually has a slight yellowish tinge under the UV light as well. My brownish pink turns a distinct blue white under UV. Does that make sense?
Yes it does. Doesn''t matter what colour the diamond is, it can still fluoresce blue. The photo I''ve just posted is of a yellow diamond and you can see it''s strong blue fluor.

Can you take a photo of the two side by side? It might be that the yellowish tinge you''re seeing is a slight green fluor. Difficult to tell really. I still think you''ve got yourself a chameleon (lucky you)!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here you go ladies, in a very dark room - the only light eminating from the dim computer monitor.

uv_greygreen.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
It has to be really, really dark to see it, but a chameleon has phosphorescence as well. Shine the UV on the stone to get those electrons all excited, then turn it off and see if you still see a faint glow from the diamond. Mine phosphorescences sort of a pinkish color, but it depends on the stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if it's my eyes playing tricks on me, but the stone almost looks darker after I turn off the UV light. ?????

Do all chameleons phosphorescence?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2008 6:02:11 PM
I don't know if it's my eyes playing tricks on me, but the stone almost looks darker after I turn off the UV light. ?????

Do all chameleons phosphorescence?
Just going by what the late RockDoc says here Link

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I shined the UV on my alexandrite and it turned to blood red!! WOW!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/12/2008 5:33:06 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
TL it''s difficult to tell from that photo the true colour of the fluor. Try turning on your overhead lights in the evening then shine the UV torch straight on to the diamond and then take a piccie so in other words don''t do it in the dark (if that makes sense). It''s amazing how different the fluor will look. From the photo you''ve posted I''m not sure whether it has any fluor or whether that''s just the lighting.

After seeing the photo though I''m more convinced you probably have a chameleon and that''s why you''re seeing the colour shift rather than the fluor aspect - but I could be wrong!!!!!

ETA just noticed that Fly Girl and I have said completely opposite things!
1.gif
Here''s a photo I took using the method I suggested:
Here''s an evening shot with the lights on, and the UV directly on the diamond.

moreflour.jpg

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
TL-interesting pics, still not sure if your stone has any fluorescence from the pictures you posted!?!?! You'll have fun checking all your stones with your UV light now :)

Here is a pic with examples of the color change in chameleons, it only last a few minutes(mine about 10 minutes) after heating the diamond gently or leaving the diamond in the dark for a period of time(mine takes about 2 days in the dark to see full color changes)then the diamond stays the same color(unless affected by fluorescence-which does not denote a chameleon diamond).

An interesting article on Chameleon Diamonds: http://www.gemlab.net/website/gemlab/fileadmin/user_upload/Publications/Chameleon_G_G_2005.pdf

chameleon diamonds.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I first took it out of the mail container, it was pretty yellow, and I was even disappointed because I thought "where''s the green?" Then as I walked around the house with it, then I saw it was darker and greener. Since then I have not seen it go that yellow, but I look at it every single day, and I don''t leave it in the dark for more than a day (because I love looking at it!!). It does look a lot like the colors of the above pics, like a greyish green. I have to keep it in the dark for a few days (if I can hold off that long) and see what happens. I wish you all could see it in person, the bazillions of pics I''ve taken don''t do it any justice at all. It''s a beautiful stone.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
TL-you should try leaving it in the dark for a few days-the color change is pretty neat to see!!!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I''ve had my chameleon pear in the dark for a few days now just to check out the color change again and it''s so cool!

First color after sitting in the dark:

FDGGY Chameleon first color.jpg

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Mid color change(about 10 minutes):

FDGGY Chameleon mid color change.jpg

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Final color:

FDGGY Chameleon  final color.JPG

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Orange fluorescence-tough to capture with out my tripod-I'm kind of wobbly with the camera and the UV light!

Sorry no phosphorescence(it glows green, fads to yellow, fads to nothing) photos, I really need my tripod for those :)

FDGGY Chameleon orange fluorescence2.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are really cool pictures Stepcutnut. Thanks for sharing. Love that diamond as well!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
TL-ge''ez I was distracted when I was writing my first post the morning! I meant to say your stone looks like it has some fluorescence, but I don''t know what color it is from the photos!!! LOL

Thanks-I am really fasinated by chameleon diamonds-so yacky :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stepcutnut,
Thought you would be interested. Finally got a shot of this at night in a very dark room. It flourescence is yellow to me. I have no idea what that means. The flour is more orange when the stone is face down. Weird.

yellowflourgreengrey.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2008 7:16:55 PM
Stepcutnut,
Thought you would be interested. Finally got a shot of this at night in a very dark room. It flourescence is yellow to me. I have no idea what that means. The flour is more orange when the stone is face down. Weird.
The fluor may not be evenly distributed throughout the stone. Very, very cool picture!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results