shape
carat
color
clarity

Utterly despicable!!! :X

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
story

When my mom died a few years ago [she was only 47!
7.gif
], I flew to the city where her hospital was. We had just returned from Christmas, and my dad called and said that "This is it, you need to come back." When I landed, I discovered that Delta had lost my baggage! I was SO upset. I told them, you''re kidding me...my mother is DYING right now, and I have to stay to deal with this crap? Thankfully, she lasted until the next morning, so I got to be there when she passed. But still! Arrg!!
29.gif

What this cop did is inexcuseable. I would never, ever be able to forgive him for such a power trip.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What a horrifying display of pettiness. I sincerely hope that cop loses his job over this ....

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
ugh that''s disgusting. I can''t even say more..well I can but it won''t be nice
29.gif

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
It seriously makes me sick to my stomach.
7.gif

He really does deserve to be fired.
38.gif

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
How sad that the cop couldn't have some compassion when he found out what the situation was... that is beyond terrible.
Even if he didn't excuse the ticket he should have had enough common decency and compassion to let the man go and see his dying relative.

Just unbelievable.
39.gif

ETA -- at the point where the officer said he was gonna tow the car if the insurance wasnt produced I would have told him to tow it... and I would have gone inside the hospital (assuming that the cops gun wasnt pointed at me of course).

meresal

Ideal_Rock
... It's horrible...

Posh... I thought that exact same thing when I read that part of the story. Let them tow it.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
That''s what I call an abuse of power. There was no reason for the situation to go that far...if you run a red light, you need to be pulled over for the basic safety of it...however, if someone is speeding to the hospital and is telling you that their mother is dying you need to let your common sense be your guide.

I would have told him to tow my car, and run inside. He could have writen me tickets until his fingers fell off for all I care.

A-hole. And that is why police officers are sometimes referred to as pigs.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is anyone else concerned by the line that states he had his gun pulled for what should have been a routine stop? That seems completely unnecessary...maybe it was because the women got out of the car, but still...

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Completely inexcusable...and so very sad
7.gif
29.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unbelievable...I just don''t have any other words for what he did...
38.gif
39.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Protect and Serve.

Guess somebody wasn''t there when they handed out the empathy. Jerk. He''s giving his whole department, and cops across the country a bad name.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 4:23:20 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Is anyone else concerned by the line that states he had his gun pulled for what should have been a routine stop? That seems completely unnecessary...maybe it was because the women got out of the car, but still...
I think this is what they are trained to do if someone exits a car without permission...

I was a little perturbed by that in the beginning as well, but then thought about it... My stickler was when he said, "I can screw you over." What the He** is that supposed to mean??

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry I couldn't even get half way through that video without visibly shaking in anger. The officer purposely prolonged things and told the guy to "shut" his mouth repeatedly AND told him it doesn't matter and that he didn't care that his MIL was dying more than once. Wow.

At the start of the video I was okay... the chase is a bit long. And the guy is upset when they get out of the car... but man, that officer just went on a power trip and ... you know what? I don't use the race card, ever. But I'm left to wonder... what if the family hadn't been black? Would that jerk have acted the same way. He was REALLY REALLY rude and vicious, that cop. And the gun? And the lack of empathy, and the cop's attitude? I love the part at the end when the cop says, "It was your attitude that made this worse for you, you understand that?" Um...
23.gif
I just what goes around, comes around.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
29.gif
That''s horrible.
39.gif
38.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 4:48:36 PM
Author: meresal
Date: 3/26/2009 4:23:20 PM

Author: Hudson_Hawk

I think this is what they are trained to do if someone exits a car without permission...

I was a little perturbed by that in the beginning as well, but then thought about it... My stickler was when he said, ''I can screw you over.'' What the He** is that supposed to mean??

The worst part is, he DID screw him over! He didn''t even get to see his MIL before she passed because of this a-hole!

He deserves to lose his badge. I''m sorry, he just does. The fact that even later when he was made to watch the tape he didn''t think he had done anything wrong...that speaks volumes more than the original issue.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My understanding is that Officer Powell — even after he saw the videotape — believed he had not acted inappropriately," Chief Kunkle said, a view that was underscored by Assistant Chief Floyd Simpson, who reviewed the tape with Officer Powell on Wednesday.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok, that says it all. Fire him, he doesn''t get it.

38.gif

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
Something similar happened to me when my mom was dying but not to this extreme... I had a cop stop me for running a parking lot stop sign and he was yapping on about what I did was wrong. I told him my mom was, at that very moment, passing away and I was going in that hospital immediately. He told me I had to wait for the ticket but I told him to leave it on the window of my car, as I was leaving the car right in the middle of the road where he had stopped me and took off running. I left the car running and the keys in it. At that point, I figured we would deal with it later.

Thankfully I made it in time. And that my uncle, an attorney was in the lobby waiting for me, so Jim went out and dealt with it...

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
And he still thinks he was just doing his job. How is he not fired yet?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
A few things on this, as I live in DFW and this has been talked about heavily today. It angers me immensely, but there was something that stood out to me as odd about the whole thing.

The husband had paused at the light, had his hazzards on, and the other car at the intersection waved him on. I don't believe he was pulled over for speeding, just for running the red light.

Now, from the police officer's perspective, I'm sure he has heard every excuse in the book, from "my wife's pregnant", to "my Mom's dying". Naturally, he didn't believe their initial story and was trying to be a bit careful in this situation, but when the wife got out of the car, frantic, yelling incoherently that her Mother was dying, perhaps he suspected drugs or something. I don't know, but I do know that in her distressed state, I couldn't tell what was going on, and I doubt he could.

I'm not taking his side AT ALL, I'm just suggesting that the initial minute or two were possibly justified in his opinion. After the situation had been explained, common sense and basic human decency should have taken over and he should have let them go. Especially after the story was corroborated by hospital staff, after that he was just being a . . .a you know what.
29.gif

Also, it's not surprising. We have a lot of power-tripping cops all over Dallas and Plano, with nothing better to do than to pull over people doing 5 miles over the limit.
9.gif

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
"In a telephone interview, Moats said the clash with the officer was totally unexpected. "For him to not even be sympathetic at all, and basically we''re dogs or something and we don''t matter — it basically shocked me," he said."

A police officer had made me feel this way once
38.gif
I can''t even explain how I felt because I was grew up thinking that cops were the good guys....

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 5:16:12 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
A few things on this, as I live in DFW and this has been talked about heavily today. It angers me immensely, but there was something that stood out to me as odd about the whole thing.

The husband had paused at the light, had his hazzards on, and the other car at the intersection waved him on. I don't believe he was pulled over for speeding, just for running the red light.

Now, from the police officer's perspective, I'm sure he has heard every excuse in the book, from 'my wife's pregnant', to 'my Mom's dying'. Naturally, he didn't believe their initial story and was trying to be a bit careful in this situation, but when the wife got out of the car, frantic, yelling incoherently that her Mother was dying, perhaps he suspected drugs or something. I don't know, but I do know that in her distressed state, I couldn't tell what was going on, and I doubt he could.

I'm not taking his side AT ALL, I'm just suggesting that the initial minute or two were possibly justified in his opinion. After the situation had been explained, common sense and basic human decency should have taken over and he should have let them go. Especially after the story was corroborated by hospital staff, after that he was just being a . . .a you know what.
29.gif

Also, it's not surprising. We have a lot of power-tripping cops all over Dallas and Plano, with nothing better to do than to pull over people doing 5 miles over the limit.
9.gif
I heard a news interview today with a witness, and the newscaster said the same thing. You're supposed to stay in the car when pulled over. So yes, when a frantic woman gets out screaming, I could see him getting defensive, and then the husband got out, which I'm sure made it worse. But as you said, after being told several times a woman was dying, he should have been able to tell by their demeanor that they were telling the truth.

It also showed the police chief apologizing for him, and saying he was on administrative leave. Someone else said he might lose his job.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 3:34:19 PM
Author: akmiss
'In a telephone interview, Moats said the clash with the officer was totally unexpected. 'For him to not even be sympathetic at all, and basically we're dogs or something and we don't matter — it basically shocked me,' he said.'

38.gif
I can't even explain how I felt because I was grew up thinking that cops were the good guys....
I would really like to know which part he thought was "unexpected"... because, in my book, running a red light, refusing to pull over for an extended period of time, and then all 3 people jumping from the car as soon as it parks, definitely warrants a gun being drawn by the police.

I'm interested to find out where it is that this red light running took place, because to me, it is odd that a Dallas PO pulled the car over in Plano?? LTP, any insight??

A friend of mine dates a Dallas PO, and just like a policeman anywhere else, they all hear some type of excuse when you pull someone over about 5 out of 10 times (from his words)... however, IMO, this policeman crossed the line when he began making personal remarks and even worse when the nurse came outside to plead their case.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 3:45:00 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 3/26/2009 5:16:12 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier

The husband had paused at the light, had his hazzards on, and the other car at the intersection waved him on. I don''t believe he was pulled over for speeding, just for running the red light.

Now, from the police officer''s perspective, I''m sure he has heard every excuse in the book, from ''my wife''s pregnant'', to ''my Mom''s dying''. Naturally, he didn''t believe their initial story and was trying to be a bit careful in this situation, but when the wife got out of the car, frantic, yelling incoherently that her Mother was dying, perhaps he suspected drugs or something. I don''t know, but I do know that in her distressed state, I couldn''t tell what was going on, and I doubt he could.

I''m not taking his side AT ALL, I''m just suggesting that the initial minute or two were possibly justified in his opinion. After the situation had been explained, common sense and basic human decency should have taken over and he should have let them go. Especially after the story was corroborated by hospital staff, after that he was just being a . . .a you know what.
29.gif

Also, it''s not surprising. We have a lot of power-tripping cops all over Dallas and Plano, with nothing better to do than to pull over people doing 5 miles over the limit.
9.gif
I heard a news interview today with a witness, and the newscaster said the same thing. You''re supposed to stay in the car when pulled over. So yes, when a frantic woman gets out screaming, I could see him getting defensive, and then the husband got out, which I''m sure made it worse. But as you said, after being told several times a woman was dying, he should have been able to tell by their demeanor that they were telling the truth.

It also showed the police chief apologizing for him, and saying he was on administrative leave. Someone else said he might lose his job.
I hope he loses his job. He deserves to for several of his comments concerning what he could "do" to the poor driver.

I just feel so awful for the father of the dying women. He didn''t get to say goodbye to his daughter.
7.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 3:53:56 PM
Author: meresal

Date: 3/27/2009 3:34:19 PM
Author: akmiss
''In a telephone interview, Moats said the clash with the officer was totally unexpected. ''For him to not even be sympathetic at all, and basically we''re dogs or something and we don''t matter — it basically shocked me,'' he said.''

38.gif
I can''t even explain how I felt because I was grew up thinking that cops were the good guys....
I would really like to know which part he thought was ''unexpected''... because, in my book, running a red light, refusing to pull over for an extended period of time, and then all 3 people jumping from the car as soon as it parks, definitely warrants a gun being drawn by the police.

I''m interested to find out where it is that this red light running took place, because to me, it is odd that a Dallas PO pulled the car over in Plano?? LTP, any insight??

A friend of mine dates a Dallas PO, and just like a policeman anywhere else, they all hear some type of excuse when you pull someone over about 5 out of 10 times (from his words)... however, IMO, this policeman crossed the line when he began making personal remarks and even worse when the nurse came outside to plead their case.
The only way he could have issued a citation is if the red light running took place in Dallas County. I think they were going to the hospital that was within a mile or so north of Dallas county into Collin county.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I am speechless.
6.gif

I have to disagree with you Meresal about the gun draw. As soon as they pulled up to a hospital and started running for the door it should have been an indication that a medical emergency was a probability. Not a possibility or an excuse, but a real life emergency situation. There is linear thinking, which this officer apparently suffered from...and then there is lateral or vertical thinking. If one is not prone to the latter type of thinking, they shouldn''t be performing a job that carries a weapon.

Karee,
I am so sorry to hear about your Mom. She was taken away too soon. My condolences.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 2:25:26 AM
Author: miraclesrule
I am speechless.
6.gif

I have to disagree with you Meresal about the gun draw. As soon as they pulled up to a hospital and started running for the door it should have been an indication that a medical emergency was a probability. Not a possibility or an excuse, but a real life emergency situation. There is linear thinking, which this officer apparently suffered from...and then there is lateral or vertical thinking. If one is not prone to the latter type of thinking, they shouldn''t be performing a job that carries a weapon.

Karee,

I am so sorry to hear about your Mom. She was taken away too soon. My condolences.

Thank you. I was 23 back then in 2005, and had been married for a few years, so it was really helpful to have someone to help me cope [we didn''t live close to anyone in either of our families]. It was a tough time. I think she weighed 80 pounds when she died. It was hard watching her waste away, but she didn''t suffer long.

She had stage 4 liver cancer. We donated her tissues/organs for research [she had Crohn''s disease] so hopefully she''ll be able to help them better understand the disease!

Thanks for your condolences. :)

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
That leaves me speechless.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 3:05:15 PM
Author: Circe
What a horrifying display of pettiness. I sincerely hope that cop loses his job over this ....

Ditto. Too many cops are on a power trip and this is a perfect example of it. Disgusting.

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
that''s tough to watch
38.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results