shape
carat
color
clarity

USPS LOST my package that was to be mailed to SK!

Mynah*Bird

Rough_Rock
Hello, I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this as I am a little out of sorts right now!

We had sent a package containing a stone and lovely Tacori setting to Steven Kirsch last week in which SK was going to rework some prong issues regarding setting height and make a fab setting more fab.

We mailed it as directed by Steven's website, insured Registeded mail, paid for the extra fast delivery time since it went out on Thursday and I knew that they do not accept packages on Saturday, only to track the package this morning to see it hasn't even left our local USPS facility. I just got off the phone with them only to have the lovely employee tell me how stupid I was to be mailing jewelry items, and said "Well, looks like it isn't in NY, and it isn't here. Guess we will have to look into that." I phoned SK and confimed that it indeed, did not make it there either.

This is the second time our local facility has lost diamonds. No joke. If I had the time I would have went to a different metro area to mail my things.

Now, the fun part. I delcared the value for all (Stone and setting) inside and insured the package. We bought the Tacori setting second hand for a steal of a deal, but when we declared VALUE of it, I was told to put the cost to replace. Was I wrong for putting the cost to replace the stone and setting instead of what we paid for it? Now that I think about it, that is even more confusing to me.... (We got a Penguin setting for about half off.) How should I proceed? We intend on filing a claim per USPS's instructions, I am just hoping that since it was a Tacori ring that was sent they should cover the cost to replace it, or am I wrong?

I am so mad that this is the second time in a year that this is happening to us.....any insight or calming words for me??? My DH is ready to flip a gasket and never use mail again. :(

Adding, that yes, the stone has paperwork and is on our JM policy so I am not worried about that one at least!

Grr...........so frustrated! :angryfire:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hold on. Your ring is not lost! There is no extra fast Registered Mail. It all goes at the same speed which is somewhat slow. And on top of that, they rarely update the website with the tracking info because I have sent several things and that was the case every time. I also sent a package registered this Saturday to NYC by coincidence and my tracking says the exact same thing, nothing but my local PO!

So relax...it is on it's way and will get there in a few days!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And one more thing. You should never, ever disclose what is in your package to a postal worker!

Okay, one more....you have to provide a receipt if you ever have to make a claim. But you need to give it another week at least before even considering it might be lost. Registered will almost never get an item somewhere in three days!

It is a total scam to give the option of priority mail for registered because first class travels exactly the same as priority for registered. I am always asked which I want and I always say first class.

And...too bad your postal worker was not the one to give you the info I just did!!!

Mynah*Bird

Rough_Rock
DiamondSeeker, Thanks for posting!!.....your RM stuff shows like that too??? I have lost faith in our office here. The lady who took my package in told me I could pay whatever-the-fee- was to expedite it to get there overnight. Ugh. I trusted what she was saying as truth!

I did package everything up at home and only insured it there, they did not see what was inside when I mailed it. When I they wanted to know what was inside this afternoon when I called I told them, I shouldn't have done that? :errrr: ;(

SO I should have a glass of wine and calm down.....this is normal? (Well, besides the employee telling me that they don't know where it is?)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mynah*Bird|1332798060|3156803 said:
DiamondSeeker, Thanks for posting!!.....your RM stuff shows like that too??? I have lost faith in our office here. The lady who took my package in told me I could pay whatever-the-fee- was to expedite it to get there overnight. Ugh. I trusted what she was saying as truth!

I did package everything up at home and only insured it there, they did not see what was inside when I mailed it. When I they wanted to know what was inside this afternoon when I called I told them, I shouldn't have done that? :errrr: ;(

SO I should have a glass of wine and calm down.....this is normal? (Well, besides the employee telling me that they don't know where it is?)

She is an idiot and I would demand a refund of the overnight fee because of her gross incompetence!!!!

And yes, I just checked and my package still only lists my local PO, and I sent it Friday, not Sat.

It won't matter that you told the person today what it was since it has already left that PO. Just be sure you never do if another incompetent person asks when you send something else!

And let Steven know it should still be on it's way!!!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really hope it is intransit still and not lost!!

****DUST*****

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this your OEC?

She doesn't know where it is because she is probably seeing exactly what you see when you put in the tracking number.

AtomicLush

Rough_Rock
I've sent things through Registered Mail. Once I even paid for "priority mail" on top of it, but I found out there is no such thing. All Registered Mail items go the same way - ground in a secured truck. It took a little over a week to get to the destination. And the tracking doesn't get updated until it's delivered. I would wait at least 5-7 business days before you report it. Most likely it will make it to the destination.

InnaR

Shiny_Rock
I've sent things registered mail and i noticed that it takes longer to rerach the destination and the website doesn't get updated for a few days. On top of that the "Estimate Delivery date" is always misleading. The packeg arrives consistantly few days later than the "Estimate Delivery". On the good side, sooner or later, but it always arrives. I would give it a few days and it just might turned up at SK.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
i agree... telling the postal worker what's inside your package is like putting a bullseye on it that screams steal me!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
acebruin|1332799963|3156831 said:
i agree... telling the postal worker what's inside your package is like putting a bullseye on it that screams steal me!
Exactly. And despite it being a felony, it doesn't dissuade many people.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thankfully, though, her package was gone from that PO before she told the postal worker the contents.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The USPS is notorious for stuff like this. Their employees are cluless and their website is not updated frequently. However (knock on wood), my items always seem to get where they're going, although it does take a lot longer than they told me it would. Keep the faith. It will get there. And if it doesn't, yes...they should refund you for whatever it would cost to replace it in full.

Sending dust your way that it's delivered asap...

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will be another to vouch for the slow but safe arrival of your package. I was told that when it is sent registered, it is signed for at every step of the way so that if it is somehow miraculously lost, they will know at exactly what point that occurred. They do not update their website which is so frustrating and the packages seem to move at a snail's pace. Just when you've given up hope, it will arrive!

On the flip side, I once sent a Rolex watch via UPS overnight insured. The box was opened, contents stolen, and box taped back shut in their process. They paid but I had to wait 30 days for them to investigate. I will never send any high priced item any other way but USPS. Other than slow moving, I've never had a problem.

On another note, (not that I'm trying to bore you!) I mailed through regular mail a family quilt. When asked if I wanted to insure it I said no because if it was lost there was no amount of money that could replace it anyway. It never arrived. Until a year later! The box was found in a postal service truck that had been disabled and parked for quite some time. However, when the box was located, it was immediately delivered. Clearly not a beautiful system but it still worked and I got something back that I thought was lost forever!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
acebruin|1332799963|3156831 said:
it doesn't matter b/c they can tell by the amount the package was insured for....i.e. when they see a $30 postage stamp they'll know it contains a high value item inside.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1332804898|3156903 said:
I will be another to vouch for the slow but safe arrival of your package. I was told that when it is sent registered, it is signed for at every step of the way so that if it is somehow miraculously lost, they will know at exactly what point that occurred. They do not update their website which is so frustrating and the packages seem to move at a snail's pace. Just when you've given up hope, it will arrive!

On the flip side, I once sent a Rolex watch via UPS overnight insured. The box was opened, contents stolen, and box taped back shut in their process. They paid but I had to wait 30 days for them to investigate. I will never send any high priced item any other way but USPS. Other than slow moving, I've never had a problem.
yup,it is the safest way to mail an high value item,slow but safe.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
yennyfire said:
The USPS is notorious for stuff like this. Their employees are cluless and their website is not updated frequently. However (knock on wood), my items always seem to get where they're going, although it does take a lot longer than they told me it would. Keep the faith. It will get there. And if it doesn't, yes...they should refund you for whatever it would cost to replace it in full.

Sending dust your way that it's delivered asap...

Yup, I always have problems with the post office. Especially when I get the slip that they attempted delivery but couldn't leave the item and I have to go pick it up. When I pick it up, they can't find it. This has happened to me at least 3 times. They end up finding it a few days later but its still nerve racking. I did have one item that was lost/stolen that I shipped to Chicago that I hadn't insured and I definitely learning my lesson about insuring packages.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Echo... USPS...awful... Slow...no regular or reliable updates. I prefer FedEx.... Not sure how others feel but I ave more confidence although I wouldn't tell them what is in the package if it's jewels... Have another glass of wine check again tomorrow. Prayers and dust to you...

gammygam

Shiny_Rock
Your package probably isn't lost. I mailed my JB Star to Martin Fuller and it took a NERVEWRACKING 2 1/2 weeks. At the 2 week mark even Martin and his office were a little frazzled that my package was lost. Thankfully, it arrived safe and sound.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The USPS makes me so mad.
All Registered travels at the same snail pace.
They try to sell you a more expensive faster way but it's a rip off.

Last time I made a HUGE scene and called to supervisor over.
They told me if any registered package does not arrive within 15 days I can file a claim.

BUT THEN WHY DO THEY SELL A FASTER RATE?

Clearly this rip off is happening all over the country and I'm pissed.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
I just mailed a piece to JbEG and it took 5-6 days (three days OVER the "anticipated arrival date" they gave on the tracking. It does disappear from tracking. It shows intake and then...BING! You get a notice that it arrived. I called because I was getting nervous and she said they do this for safety reasons. Whatever. It got there! I don't know about the declared value you gave, but I imagine your number you gave to make you whole again if it was lost is okay. When you get an item appraised for insurance purposes, you give the estimate of what it is worth on the retail market despite what you paid. You should be able to replace the item without having to troll for the deals. (Someone correct me if I am wrong though)...
I just did a value that was a modest estimation (nowhere near the appraisal rate I was given, but enough to get close to the size/quality that I have).

After five days, they can open an inquiry.

The fedex people...HOW do you send via fedex? I went in and asked if I could insure my package for XX,XXX dollars and she said they only go up to 1-2 K. I said, 'so you are telling me that you cannot insure my package for what it would cost to replace it?" She said "sure, for up to 2k." :confused:

Mynah*Bird, I am sending good thoughts your way for a safe delivery!

darren

Rough_Rock
If you send the package via Registered I think that you can insure the package for up to $25K. It use to be $50k but they lowered it recently. Their tracking option should be call what it is, delivery confirmation as there is no tracking of the package when in route. Regardless of what they tell you at the counter, the further you live from the destination the longer it will take. Registered mail is a good way to send important packages because it holds the USPO accountable for the package and the delivery is guaranteed. By the way registered mail is the only service that guarantees that package will get delivered.

If you have your jewelry item insured, most insurance companies will cover said item in transit. This comes into play with FedEx, you can insure the package for 1k- 2k and opt for the direct signature option. This way the package has a value and the delivery is restricted.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently mailed a loose diamond. It took 1 1/2 weeks to arrive at it's destination using registered mail. Don't give up hope yet!

snoopkat

Shiny_Rock
Fedex is pretty good at updating their tracking site and I've used them a couple of times when sending my engagement ring back for resizing/polishing/cleaning. I can't believe how long it takes for stuff to get around the US :o It only takes 4 working days to get my package delivered door to door. Here's the kicker...I live in Sydney, Australia!

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
snoopkat said:
Fedex is pretty good at updating their tracking site and I've used them a couple of times when sending my engagement ring back for resizing/polishing/cleaning. I can't believe how long it takes for stuff to get around the US :o It only takes 4 working days to get my package delivered door to door. Here's the kicker...I live in Sydney, Australia!

The only reason registered mail has a longer delivery time is that the package literally goes from one supervisor's hand to another. This is supposed to be the securest method for sending big ticket items here in the US. As a result, a lot of jewelers/vendors require packages sent to them to be shipped via registered mail. So FedEx, UPS overnight or USPS Express Mail is usually not an option for sending jewelry unfortunately. Our regular First Class and Priority Mail is much faster.

Seashell12

Rough_Rock
Has anyone sent FEDEX overnight? How much it cost ( from East to West of US)?
I looked on the site, it look like $170. Or i looked some wrong rate?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Seashell12|1332858467|3157298 said:
Has anyone sent FEDEX overnight? How much it cost ( from East to West of US)?
I looked on the site, it look like $170. Or i looked some wrong rate?

I don't think FedEx will insure unless you are sending with a jeweler's account. for example when I sent my ring to BGD to be resized they sent me a FedEx label from their FedEx acct.

Seashell12

Rough_Rock
slg47|1332859032|3157305 said:
I don't think FedEx will insure unless you are sending with a jeweler's account. for example when I sent my ring to BGD to be resized they sent me a FedEx label from their FedEx acct.

Yes, my jeweler offered me send a Fedex label, but I have to pay for shipping , right? That's why i wonder how much it could cost?

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Seashell12|1332859223|3157307 said:

Yes, my jeweler offered me send a Fedex label, but I have to pay for shipping , right? That's why i wonder how much it could cost?

I think if you get a FedEx shipping label from the jeweler, they have already paid for the shipping. You just box it up, attach the label to the package, and ship. At least that is how I understand the process.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Seashell12|1332859223|3157307 said:

OH ok. I think it depends on the value of the item. When I mailed my ring it was $55 each way but I think from reading that you have a much higher priced item than I do

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results