color
clarity

Using ashes for lab diamonds

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought this process was debunked, basically very little of the cremations if any would make it into the diamond.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
I thought this process was debunked, basically very little of the cremations if any would make it into the diamond.

The article is Science times from this week. It details the process.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
:snooty::hand:

Reactions: Mlh

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
*cremains not cremations.... argh autocorrect. Anyway, here’s more reading for anyone who is considering this. Shameful to play on people’s memories of their loved ones in this way.

you can encase ashes or a lock of hair in resin (and of course, that doesn’t make nearly as much money but there are lots of artisans who make jewelry this way)

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Such a nice concept but like @bludiva said, if you're reducing the remains to carbon at an atomic level then there's not a lot of the original loved one left really. Zero DNA so that bit of carbon won't be any different to one extracted from a burnt marshmallow.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
i don't know much about the topic itself, but the science times is absolutely not a reliably credible source. they have repeatedly published misinformation / failed fact checks, even though they do mix in credible sources. it is not consistent and you have to be vigilant

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
i don't know much about the topic itself, but the science times is absolutely not a reliably credible source. they have repeatedly published misinformation / failed fact checks, even though they do mix in credible sources. it is not consistent and you have to be vigilant

Wow. I didn't know that. Interesting!! Thanks @Cerulean !

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Wow. I didn't know that. Interesting!! Thanks @Cerulean !

Happy to help! It doesn’t mean there’s ill intent, that it’s all junk or “ideologically poor“ motivation- but it means they don’t rigorously validate everything and are often hosting articles where they themselves are not the publisher, if that makes sense

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I also read somewhere a while back when I was amazed at this idea & contemplated learning more or possibly going forward with making one - I heard that the resulting diamond doesn't have any ashes in it which ruins the entire concept. If so, I would consider it a scam against those who are in a vulnerable place of mourning.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium

i read the article and it describes the process of creating an HPHT diamond and how ashes or hair can be incorporated into the process but totally avoids the question of how much if any of those materials are present in the final product

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also read somewhere a while back when I was amazed at this idea & contemplated learning more or possibly going forward with making one - I heard that the resulting diamond doesn't have any ashes in it which ruins the entire concept. If so, I would consider it a scam against those who are in a vulnerable place of mourning.

agreed. if someone is reading this thread looking for a memorial piece please take a look at modern mourning jewelry like small vials for ashes, resin ornaments with locks of hair embedded, jewelry with a loved one's fingerprint (or pawprint), jewelry with someone's handwriting etc or really do your research on the memorial diamond idea.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i wish this was true
i love the idea of being made into a blue diamond
Never mind the scientific - there are so many ethical questions that need to be answered
:(2

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
I looked into this when my mother passed away. I felt it was preventively expensive and suspect as people in mourning are the easiest to take advantage of monetarily wise. Glad I dismissed the idea now.
It never ceases to amaze me how people with money will get behind a completely floored concept.... and yet somehow these people still have money.
No accounting for luck hey?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results