shape
carat
color
clarity

Used setting advice

Diamond_14

Rough_Rock
Hi all. I’m considering looking for a used setting for a round stone I have. Does anyone have any advice on what I would want to know while looking? This is my first time doing something like this. :)

I imagine I need to look for something that is made for a round stone and is about the same size as my Diamond? How close in size does it need to be would you say? My stone is about 1.3-1.4 carats.

I am assuming I can take a used setting and the stone to a jeweler and have it set most likely?

Thank you so much and I appreciate any input you can give. :)

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You are looking for a semi-mount, preferably used. If you take the stone to your jeweler they can tell you what size semi-mount stone setting you should be looking for. Then, the person selling the semi-mount should also inform you about what size stone the semi-mount will hold. Some jewelers may be able to adjust the size of the head to fit the stone, and that would be ok too. I happened to luck up with a loose diamond a while back that fit a mounting for a ring I already owned. I had the diamond for several years and thought about replacing the colored stone and I was ecstatic when my jeweler did his measurements and said the diamond would fit. FINALLY, it had the home it deserved and the ring looks so much better! If I were you I would go see my jeweler first and see what he recommends for you. A good jeweler is worth their weight in gold!!

Diamond_14

Rough_Rock
You are looking for a semi-mount, preferably used. If you take the stone to your jeweler they can tell you what size semi-mount stone setting you should be looking for. Then, the person selling the semi-mount should also inform you about what size stone the semi-mount will hold. Some jewelers may be able to adjust the size of the head to fit the stone, and that would be ok too. I happened to luck up with a loose diamond a while back that fit a mounting for a ring I already owned. I had the diamond for several years and thought about replacing the colored stone and I was ecstatic when my jeweler did his measurements and said the diamond would fit. FINALLY, it had the home it deserved and the ring looks so much better! If I were you I would go see my jeweler first and see what he recommends for you. A good jeweler is worth their weight in gold!!

Thank you so much! I appreciate the help. I will reach out to a jeweler about this. I am so glad your diamond fit in the mounting. How exciting! :)

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy pre loved settings frequently. I’m too “tight” to buy new or have made AND I have a zillion gems needing setting. With round or oval is no trouble.
With any ring, the head can always be replaced. That’s an extra cost of course. Or you can go for a preloved setting that’s close to your size. Within 1mm is fine, often more, as a jeweller can always reposition prongs.
Bezel settings, usually no, size has to be exact but in many cases the bezel gets damaged removing the previous gem.
Emerald and princess cut can also be tricky, as with marquis and other fancy shapes, but again a new head overcomes any issues.
here are some of my rings that involve using an existing setting.
5A7AEA8A-BB3A-42B2-AA4F-35F3F7926B0E.jpeg 4841FFCC-45FC-4396-A146-EA58ECFE04EA.jpeg 42A3F458-26C6-45BD-8AE5-27D8D7E8D1DD.jpeg 0AE907BB-53E7-4595-8F4F-B449DD260672.jpeg C70FE2DD-0355-4BEC-B6A2-323F8FEBC22A.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results