shape
carat
color
clarity

URGENT! Two diamonds - which one to pick for engagement?!?! The battle of F or G?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fingklam

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

My boyfriend and I have come down to these two diamonds: diamond A and B below. We just don''t know which one to choose. We just want the best diamond, in the sense that, if we were GIA graduates, and looking for a diamond ourselves, which one would we choose to be the "best looking" diamond.

I know there were alot of answers above, giving pros and cons for both diamonds, but if YOU were to pick, which one would it be?

Many thanks in advance.
Fingklam

A.

$6548 US.
Cut: Ideal & Round
Colour: G
Measurement: 6.48 x 6.53 x 3.96 mm

Carat Weight: 1.01ct
Clarity: VS2
Culet: None
Girdle: Medium
Table: 54%
Depth: 60.9%

33° crown angle, 40.8° pavilion angle
Polish & Summetry: Excellent & Excellent

B.

Colour: F
Measurement: 6.46 x 6.51 x 3.96 mm

Carat Weight: 1.01ct
Table: 58%
Depth: 61.1%

36° crown angle, 40.6° pavilion angle

Thin - Medium, Profile to actual proportion
Polish & Summetry: Very good & Excellent
Fluorescence: None

Pinpoint not shown

It''s price at around $6600 US.

Ordieth

Rough_Rock
Personally I would choose A. It scores a .7 on the HCA, and has both Excellent Polish and Symmetry. In addition, the lower price is appealing (to me
22.gif
) and I dont think the color would be a problem. (unless you are putting E color diamonds next to it...
9.gif
)

So, personally, I vote A
36.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is nothing in it and the color is not significant either

some people would say the 33 crown is a bit shallow and I would say the 36 is a bit steep.

both look great on paper

fingklam

Rough_Rock
Anymore advise????????????

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi fingklam,

Personally, I wouldn't pick either. Your angles go from one extreme to the other, and when I look for diamonds, I like something in the middle. I saw on another thread you're looking at Bluenile, so I searched there, under their signature series. This was one of the very first ones that came up, so I didn't look further, but I would have absolutely no problem purchasing this stone, and I'm pretty picky.
2.gif

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&pid=LD00142065&filter_id=0

If your budget is at its limit with the aproximate 6600.00, I'd either consider going down in size, or clarity (there are definitely eyeclean SI1's), and stay with a (pickier) ideal cut. Just my .02!
1.gif

fingklam

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Here's another one that I recently find. So we lower the clarity. Is it a good choice? I mean, it's a big investment and we really want the best to treasure for the rest of our lives. Hopefully we can close this deal as soon as possible. Please help us here thanks.

C.

$6300 US. (AGSL & GCAL)
Colour: G
Measurement: 6.52 x 6.61 x 3.97 mm

Carat Weight: 1.03ct
Clarity: SI1
Culet: 0.5
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Table: 56%
Depth: 60%

34.5° crown angle, 40.7° pavilion angle

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
like A -- smaller table.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
C has the best cut of the three, but I personally wouldn''t go below a VS2 for a ring diamond. Keep looking, there are many stones out there that will fit the F-G, VS2, with ideal numbers. Why settle for less?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I prefer C the most, and I don''t think there''s any reason to be concerned with going below VS2 for a ring diamond as long as it''s eyeclean.

There are literally TONS of folks here who''ve purchased/received eyeclean SI1 and even eyeclean SI2 diamonds and have been thrilled with them. I''m one of them......my e-ring is an SI2, and it''s completely eyeclean.

As long as you confirm that the SI1 is eyeclean, and as long as you have a generous return policy, clarity is a great place to make the sacrifice to stay in the size range you want.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2006 10:38:23 AM
Author: aljdewey
I prefer C the most, and I don''t think there''s any reason to be concerned with going below VS2 for a ring diamond as long as it''s eyeclean.

There are literally TONS of folks here who''ve purchased/received eyeclean SI1 and even eyeclean SI2 diamonds and have been thrilled with them. I''m one of them......my e-ring is an SI2, and it''s completely eyeclean.

As long as you confirm that the SI1 is eyeclean, and as long as you have a generous return policy, clarity is a great place to make the sacrifice to stay in the size range you want.
So what''s your point?
9.gif
2.gif

fingklam

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

This is the hardest thing ever that we have to decide. So after hearing everyone''s advise, we have decided to stay with VS2. Just because we feel that if we are investing that much money to a diamond, it''s better to have something with better clarity. I don''t know if anyone will disagree but we are very open to hear some of you out there.

Also, we have been looking into some of the "Signature Ideal". They seem to have the perfect range for all the spec. So now, we are coming to the final decision on rather we should stay with the F or G, though, they are both either "Shallow - A" or too "Steep - B".

Since we are staying with our price range for around $6400, and still wanta stick with VS2. We can only compare A & B with this new one that we are looking at for "Signature Ideal":

D:
$6100 US.
Cut: Signature Ideal & Round
Colour: I
Measurement: 6.57 x 6.63 x 3.98 mm

Carat Weight: 1.05ct
Girdle: thin to Slightly thick
Table: 57.4%
Depth: 60.2%

34.2° crown angle, 40.7° pavilion angle

So now that question for us is to pick the better colour??? or for better cutting???? This is just one of the Signature ideal with I colour. Of course i enter it in HCA and has the score of "0.9"

Thanks a million!!!

Cheers,

Ordieth

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/24/2006 2:05:30 PM
Author: fingklam
Hi everyone,

This is the hardest thing ever that we have to decide. So after hearing everyone''s advise, we have decided to stay with VS2. Just because we feel that if we are investing that much money to a diamond, it''s better to have something with better clarity. I don''t know if anyone will disagree but we are very open to hear some of you out there.

Also, we have been looking into some of the ''Signature Ideal''. They seem to have the perfect range for all the spec. So now, we are coming to the final decision on rather we should stay with the F or G, though, they are both either ''Shallow - A'' or too ''Steep - B''.

Since we are staying with our price range for around $6400, and still wanta stick with VS2. We can only compare A & B with this new one that we are looking at for ''Signature Ideal'':

D:
$6100 US.
Cut: Signature Ideal & Round
Colour: I
Measurement: 6.57 x 6.63 x 3.98 mm

Carat Weight: 1.05ct
Girdle: thin to Slightly thick
Table: 57.4%
Depth: 60.2%

34.2° crown angle, 40.7° pavilion angle

So now that question for us is to pick the better colour??? or for better cutting???? This is just one of the Signature ideal with I colour. Of course i enter it in HCA and has the score of ''0.9''

Thanks a million!!!

Cheers,
Vick,

Personally, I would be weary of diamonds with color lower than G. (it''s a personal thing.) I am still very new at all of this, so please take my comments with a grain of salt, but I think the important factors are as follows...

Cut
Color
Clairity
Carat weight

You will have to wait for some other, more educated, responses, but I think the "I" color could look good in a gold band, but if you are planning on white gold/ platinum, you may wish to reconsider.

Good luck, and I am sure your final choice will be amazing!
35.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2006 10:45:34 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 11/24/2006 10:38:23 AM

So what''s your point?
9.gif
2.gif

????????????

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2006 9:17:00 PM

Date: 11/24/2006 10:45:34 AM
Author: Ellen

So what''s your point?
9.gif
2.gif

????????????
Alj, it was a joke.

And obviously not a very good one.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results