shape
carat
color
clarity

Urgent help on inspecting a diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Perfectdiamond

Rough_Rock

I chose a diamond from Abazias (from pricescope listing) and had a pendant built. The shopping experience was very good and the representative was very helpful. I received the pendant yesterday and have 10 days for inspection period. I also received the certificate for the center diamond. I was very impressed by the diamond first. However, after I looked at the diamond very carefully under lights, I noticed an inclusion by my naked eye. I was told that the diamond was supposed to be eye-clean. Also, the clarity is supposed to be SI1. I thought that I shouldn''t be able to see an inclusion by my naked eye if it is eye-clean. Is my understanding correct?

Then, I start suspecting whether the diamond is the one that is described in the certificate that I received because the certificate doesn''t seem to have this inclusion on it. However, this diamond was listed by several stores on the pricescope with descriptions that match the certificate. After I bought it, it is taken off the list. I think that it is unlikely that the store sent me a different diamond. Does it ever happen that a store would send customer a certificate with a totally different diamond?

I don''t have much experience with the diamonds and I cannot tell whether the diamond is the one described in the certificate. I would like to have a local jeweler look at the diamond. If it is the one in the certificate, I will keep it. Does anybody know how much this kind of simple inspection costs (I am in Chicago). ? I don''t need the diamond to be appraised by the local jeweler. I only want to ask whether it is the diamond in the certificate. I would appreciate any opinion. Thanks a lot.

Since I only have 7-8 days left and jewlers usually don''t work on Sundays. This is somwhat urgent. Many thanks.

Best,
PD

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure how much a jeweler would charge you to verify the stone is the same one as the cert. If you''ve got a trusted local jeweler you''ve done business with, they may do it for free but I honestly don''t know.

I did want to say that and SI-1 will have inclusions. the definition of eye-clean is subjective, some vendors say what they use as their definition, like seeing no inclusions 10 inches away or something like that. If you hold the stone right next to your eyeball, you''d probably see the inclusion but that''s not usually the defintion of eye-clean. anyway, you can always seek out an appraiser to verify the stone for you. I''m sure there are a ton in Chicago and you could get into one pretty quickly and I don''t think the fee will be very much.

ebonykawai

Shiny_Rock
SI1 aren't always eyeclean. The inclusions can be anything, and some inclusions are easier to see than others. For instance, my old cut SI1 has a feather that I can't see at all, but also a carbon spot that is close to the surface which I can always pick out. And some people are better than others at spotting them. "Eyeclean" is a subjective term. Most people define it as 'can you see anything from about 6-10 inches away?'

This might sound silly, but are you sure that is an inclusion and not dust or dirt? Do you have an ultrasonic you can use to clean the diamond first? I've mistaken dirt or dust for inclusions before. I'm sure I'm not the only one to do that, lol. It does seem strange that the inclusion isn't on the cert. What I've found from my own experience is that I can't see the one on the cert, not the other way around.

I'm sure you can take it and the cert to any reputable jeweler and he'd take a look, if not for free, then for very little money. Best of luck!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PerfectDiamond, can you keep it to one thread please as it gets confusing with various threads asking the same question, thank you!

Perfectdiamond

Rough_Rock

Thanks for everyone. I already went to a jeweler and verified that it is the diamond in the certificate. The jeweler also told me that it is a SI1 minus but it is a nice diamond. I did look at the diamond very close when I found the inclusion. I guess that I had a different idea of inclusion.

Lorelei, sorry for posting it under different forums. I am new on the posting and I didn''t really know which one is the right one to post these questions.

Thanks a gain.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results