shape
carat
color
clarity

Urgent help on inspecting a diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Perfectdiamond

Rough_Rock

I chose a diamond from Abazias (from pricescope listing) and had a pendant built. The shopping experience was very good and the representative was very helpful. I received the pendant yesterday and have 10 days for inspection period. I also received the certificate for the center diamond. I was very impressed by the diamond first. However, after I looked at the diamond very carefully under lights, I noticed an inclusion by my naked eye. I was told that the diamond was supposed to be eye-clean. Also, the clarity is supposed to be SI1. I thought that I shouldn't be able to see an inclusion by my naked eye if it is eye-clean. Is my understanding correct?

Then, I start suspecting whether the diamond is the one that is described in the certificate that I received because the certificate doesn't seem to have this inclusion on it. However, this diamond was listed by several stores on the pricescope with descriptions that match the certificate. After I bought it, it is taken off the list. I think that it is unlikely that the store sent me a different diamond. Does it ever happen that a store would send customer a certificate with a totally different diamond?

I don't have much experience with the diamonds and I cannot tell whether the diamond is the one described in the certificate. I would like to have a local jeweler look at the diamond. If it is the one in the certificate, I will keep it. Does anybody know how much this kind of simple inspection costs (I am in Chicago). ? I don't need the diamond to be appraised by the local jeweler. I only want to ask whether it is the diamond in the certificate. I would appreciate any opinion. Thanks a lot.

Since I only have 7-8 days left and jewlers usually don't work on Sundays. This is somwhat urgent. Many thanks.

Best,
PD

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Perfect,

A couple suggestions:

a) a few ideas for local appraisers in this thread,

b) you diamond may have the certificate number on its girdle, and you can check with a loupe

c) to check (b), or with other strategies, you might just go to any local jewler, who will have a loupe, and perhaps other ideas to help you do this sort of check, with no charge to you...just to be nice.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS
35.gif

As Ira says, an inspection by a jeweller would be the thing, regarding the inclusion - one vendor lists their definition of eyeclean as - no inclusions visible from a distance of 10 - 12 inches in normal light by a person with 20 20 vision - or words to that effect. Clarity grading is also done face up, so it isn't unusual at all to see something from the side in an SI grade, or even from the top. It depends on what your idea of eyeclean is - it wouldn't be uncommon at all to find something under close scrutiny with lights as you did, with an SI. So your understanding that you won't be able to see anything if a diamond is said to be eyeclean isn't entirely accurate! If you don't want to see any inclusions, maybe a VS clarity might be a better fit for you.

Also you don't mention the size of the diamond, the larger you go, the more chance you will see something. Also who did the grading report? Some are said to be softer on grading than others, usually GIA and AGS being the strictest labs. Get the diamond checked to make sure it matches the grading report ( mistakes are rare with this by the way) then you can decide if you want to keep it, just be aware if you do change it, although there are plenty of clean SI graded out there where you can't see much at all, a VS might be a better fit for you.

Also read this thread for definitions of 'eyecleanliness!"

Perfectdiamond

Rough_Rock
Thanks for everyone. I already went to a jeweler and verified that it is the diamond in the certificate. The jeweler was very nice and didn''t charge me anything. The jeweler also told me that it is a SI1 minus but it is a nice diamond. I did look at the diamond very close when I found the inclusion. I guess that I had a different idea of inclusion.

Thanks again.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are unhappy with the non-eyeclean issue, I''d return it and start over. There are SI1 stones that are truly eye-clean.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
"eye-clean" unfortunately is a very vague term that varies in definition from vendor to vendor. When asking a vendor whether a stone is eye-clean, one must ask what exactly their definition of eye is. For some vendors it''s 10 inches away from face only from the face up position, with others it''s 2 inches from face from all angles, and still others say it''s from 2 feet away or "general viewing distance"...you get the point..."eye-clean" is not a scientific term, it''s subjective.

I''m glad you verified the stone is infact yours, this should give you some peace of mind.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
For a pendant stone ... it''s probably fine! If people are standing THAT close to your neck ... you have bigger problems perhaps than an inclusion!
1.gif

But if it bothers you - you''re still in the return period. Good to know it wasn''t an accidental switch or something. And now you know more about the definition of "eye clean" for future purchases. It''s a NONexact term for sure!

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/10/2007 5:16:36 PM
Author: decodelighted
For a pendant stone ... it''s probably fine! If people are standing THAT close to your neck ... you have bigger problems perhaps than an inclusion!
1.gif

But if it bothers you - you''re still in the return period. Good to know it wasn''t an accidental switch or something. And now you know more about the definition of ''eye clean'' for future purchases. It''s a NONexact term for sure!
ROFL

Oh that was a good one
9.gif

Perfectdiamond, Deco is right, SI is a question of definition and some people are also more sensitive to inclusions than others..just the same with colour. We have to "make our eyes" on it and see what we feel comfortable with.
1.gif

Perfectdiamond

Rough_Rock
I actually don''t feel bothered by the inclusion. I only saw it when I was staring at it for a long time under strong lights. I think that this pendant is very nice. I thought that "eye-clean" means "not being able to see it with naked eye by all means." That''s why I thought that the diamond is not the one on the certificate. I will keep the pendant. The shopping experience with Abazias was very good too. The sale representative was very responsive and their price seems to be cheaper than other stores. I bought this one for $3400 something. The other stores that listed this diamond were selling it for $3500 to $3600.
9.gif

Overall, it was a good purchase! Thanks for all the adivces. I will make sure what the vendor mean by "eye-clean" next time when I buy a diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results