shape
carat
color
clarity

Chicago Appraiser Needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I recently designed and had my ex-boss make an e-ring for my bf''s brother''s girlfriend.

Certificated 1.51ct F VS2 RB with 0.35ct pearshaped emerald side stones in platinum.

As we did the whole thing wholesale and my ex-boss didn''t charge a penny for his time and I didn''t charge for mine, it was a great price, even if it took nearly 6 months total to find it all and put together.

He gave her the ring at the end of June. He lives in the UK like me and she lives in Chicago. I saw her last weekend when she was over and she mentioned she still hadn''t got the ring insured and basically didn''t know how to.
29.gif
Mad, mad, mad...
20.gif

I wouldn''t want to go through making it again if it gets lost/stolen so she needs to get it insured for retail replacement. What''s the best way to get this done in the USA? Can anyone recommend a good appraiser in/near Chicago and let me know how much it costs?

Sorry about this, but I only know how the UK works.

Thanks!
26.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Richard B. Drucker, GG, RMV
Graduate Gemologist Appraiser
630 Dundee Road Suite 230
Northbrook, Illinois 60062
phone: 847.564.0555 fax: 847.564.0557
email: [email protected]

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I''d call at least two resources: PGS in Chicago, and Richard Drucker in Northbrook, see what they tell you as to what they would do for you, and at what cost. Both have been used by others on these boards, so you could search for them, too, and see what others have said.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is another option in addition to the good ones that you've already been given: Chicago Gem Lab, 5 S. Wabash #1419. 312-263-2221. Lorainne Oakes is a doll to work with and she really knows her stuff. I especially like the format of the detailed appraisals that she gives and the photo of the piece.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Fab, thanks everyone.

I just hate the thought of having to try and make that one again!

shel

Shiny_Rock
I just went to an appraiser in the Chicago area, and I want to pay my compliments to him. His name is Stuart Robertson and he works with Richard Drucker, who was also recommended to you in this thread. (However, Richard Drucker may not be doing too many appraisals anymore.) Anyway, Mr. Robertson was fantastic to work with and talk to. He was very professional and clearly very knowledgeable. And I sense that he enjoys working with people who are also serious about diamonds, as are most of the people who frequent this forum. Mr. Robertson was very careful and thorough with the evaluation, and of course everything was done in our presence. While he worked, we asked questions as they occurred to us (and I recommend that you do your homework to get the most out of the appraisal session). Stuart was more than willing to answer all of our questions in great detail, and attesting to his patience and completeness, he spent nearly 2 hours with us and not once did we feel rushed or detect any annoyance on his part. (Actually, he seemed to enjoy the whole thing.) I know that my fiancee and I were immensely pleased with his service and felt very reassured by his expert opinion. The appraisal report was as comprehensive as it needed to be and was prepared in real-time.

The only downside and I admit that this is all my fault because I bought the diamond already mounted is that Stuart couldn''t do much in the way of cut analysis (proportions, Sarin, Ideal Scope, brilliance scope, etc.).

So if you''re looking for a highly qualified opinion on your diamond (a really honest appraisal) and want a more human touch than if you just went to a gemology lab, I wholeheartedly and unreservedly recommend Stuart Robertson. He''s located at 630 Dundee Road, Suite 230, Northbrook, IL 60062, Tel: 847-564-0555. www.gemworld.com (Rates are very reasonable too!)

If you decide to go with Stuart, I sincerely hope you have as pleasant an experience as we did.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results