shape
carat
color
clarity

Urgent .. Got the 1.5F.. Hazy? Or lighting??

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Ok. Need help. Got the 1.5F because I was worried about the H color stone 1.7. The 1.7 is still reserved if I change my mind. Is this foggy bc strong Fluoro or just bad lighting? It's on my sister in this picture, same finger size as my gf ironically!! Work lighting.

_1282.jpeg

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Re: Got the 1.5F..

One more

_1283.jpeg

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Re: Got the 1.5F.. Hazy? Or lighting??

Thinking should send back for the 1.7

_1284.jpeg

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The fluor wouldn't be very noticeable in an office lighting environment, it would need UV to 'activate' the fluor. I don't think it looks hazy though. Ask her to take it outside and check in the sunlight. And make sure it's clean!

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
It's clean, fresh out of the box today. It's cloudy around us today ... Guess we have to wait for some sun. Her ring is so similar to the one I got my GF, no ones noticed she has a different ring on at work today apparently. Someone had to test it out though before I propose ... I don't want to deal with sending it back once I propose, I want her to have her forever diamond. Thank you!

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Fresh out the box diamonds have been known to have an oily film on them give it a clean make sure plug is in the sink if thats where you do it

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks sphene! What's it get cleaned with?

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
I use a soft toothbrush and mild none abrasive toothpaste or wash liquid

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sphene|1451424719|3968073 said:

Please don't use any kind of toothpaste. Use warm water and dishwashing liquid. Let it soak in the warm water for at least 10 minutes and use a soft toothbrush to scrub gently and then rinse.

Dishwashing liquid will help remove oils, which causes the dirt to cling.

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
Yup: baby toothbrush and dishwashing liquid. Water as hot as you can get it. Be sure to clean the pavilion! :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We won't be able to tell from pictures. I can't believe you didn't get the H since she was fine with the first H! That F isn't a lot bigger than the 1.3 you ordered before. I hope you are certain that SHE values high color over size!

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
LLJsmom|1451428430|3968095 said:
Sphene|1451424719|3968073 said:

Please don't use any kind of toothpaste. Use warm water and dishwashing liquid. Let it soak in the warm water for at least 10 minutes and use a soft toothbrush to scrub gently and then rinse.

Dishwashing liquid will help remove oils, which causes the dirt to cling.

I'll second LLJsmom...please DON'T EVER use toothpaste to clean jewellery :o

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get some alcohol on a paper towel in a pinch

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
DS I felt pressured.. My sister has an E and she was like "everyone will see the color" womp womp. I should exchange it, that's what my hearts saying. This one was 13,500 and appraised at 24,000. Do you think an H will appraise as well? It's going to be like 14,900 total. Just curious ...

Medphysdave

Rough_Rock
Go with what your gut/heart is telling you. You need to be just as happy as she is when you look at her ring. I moved from looking at H color to I because the difference is so subtle. I felt like I could see the slight differences at 40x between G H and I.

Recent I learned that the very well cut stones show white face up down to J. A savvy setting shopper could get a setting that covered the pavilion, and still have a really white looking stone.

To side track even furtger. There is a thread in the forum with J colored stones in platinum. I thought they looked fantastic.

Nut Shell: your sister will be jealous of the bigger I colored stone if it's bigger than hers.

OP: what size finger is that on. I think it looks like a great size on that finger. I just purchased a 1.5

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, sorry for your second guessing. I can't see whether it's hazy without seeing it in person.

I can only share my story. After looking at one diamond (J to warm) I exchanged it for a second one (H) and just felt "something was off". Foggy? Hazy? IDK. Just couldn't figure out what the heck my deal was? I'm telling you it drove me absolutely nuts....I couldn't put my finger on it. Had an independent appraiser look at it and she said it looks great. She said it wasn't hazy at all ($70 gone).

"Not as crisp" was my final conclusion. No regrets on the exchange (again). It had a wisp for the main inclusuon (but so did the J so who knows). No fluro. My eyes were picking up something. Period. Back it went.

I guess what I'm saying is if your eye is seeing something and you cleaned the heck out of it.... possibly there is a little something to it that your eye is seeing.

Anyway you can compare the diamonds side by side? I wasn't able too perdonally, but the second I receiced the third diamond I knew for sure the second was "not as crisp" (we are talking a hairs difference, but enough for MY eyes).

A PSer commented that if I'm second guessing it from the get go, I will always second guess it. Follow the gut.

When you get to the higher end of colors they kinda all blend together IMO. I have a H center with G sides. Believe me, I studied the he()ll out of my ring. I don't see a difference between the two colors and I'm sensitive to everything!

Good luck! So hard, isn't it?

Ps
Did you say what the inclusuons are? (Wisps? Feathers? Cloud?). I know some inclusions can impact sparkle/crispness a little bit. I think that is what I was seen with the second "whisp" diamond. Crispness impacted by inclusion (slightly).

Get her in some good lighting (and some not so good lighting).

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Great advice as usual DS... Thank you Thank you.. Just a crystal and a pinpoint! VS1

It's a size 4.25 finger. My gf is between a 4/4.25 but we put her at 4.25 when trying on at a jeweler and we may have to get the beads. 4 is just ... No room for Chinese salty food. Lol.

_1292.jpeg

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Sorry it's sideways :(

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Some more. Icy white blue gray thanks to the sky I'm guessing. Not hazy here at all

_1293.jpeg

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
I like the simple setting but now am considering halo to make the whole much larger appearing. I would go for the Leon Mege custom or something - although I did speak with BN today and their diamond expert I talked to said they could customize their studio heiress halo to make the halo diamonds sit flush around the center diamond (eliminating that gap I dislike)

They start at $2700 for this setting below.

_863.png

_864.png

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
qui499kyl|1451440042|3968196 said:
Great advice as usual DS... Thank you Thank you.. Just a crystal and pinpoint .

Vs1. How lovely!! So clean!! :) jelly

Halo will make it HUGE!

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
She likes huge rings ... And I want a custom halo not just a stock, I feel like so many don't look like they "fit" the specific diamond ... I'm just a guy shopping around, what do I know, lol but that's what some look like to me. The halos where the stones delicately surround the center diamond looks great though. Either going with Leon Mege or this custom BN I think... Making progress... I think the hazy I see is some of the setting showing through the pavilion girdle? It's platinum and steely looking.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
qui499kyl|1451435516|3968154 said:
DS I felt pressured.. My sister has an E and she was like "everyone will see the color" womp womp. I should exchange it, that's what my hearts saying. This one was 13,500 and appraised at 24,000. Do you think an H will appraise as well? It's going to be like 14,900 total. Just curious ...

I would want to please your girlfriend and not your sister. I assume your gf knows what color diamond your sister has, right? And she saw the 1.3 H and liked it, right? Unless they hold hands often so that the diamonds are next to each other, no one will notice the color difference. And it is possible the H is a better cut stone than your sister's and may out perform it! The big question is, what size is your sister's diamond? And is it GIA graded?

That appraisal means absolutely nothing. I'd throw it in the trash. You need to insure for the amount you paid which is retail internet pricing. That is the true replacement cost.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
qui499kyl|1451442544|3968214 said:
She likes huge rings ... And I want a custom halo not just a stock, I feel like so many don't look like they "fit" the specific diamond ... I'm just a guy shopping around, what do I know, lol but that's what some look like to me. The halos where the stones delicately surround the center diamond looks great though. Either going with Leon Mege or this custom BN I think... Making progress... I think the hazy I see is some of the setting showing through the pavilion girdle? It's platinum and steely looking.

Please don't go with a Blue Nile halo setting. (yes, I have advice on everything. ;)) )

For a nice, reasonably priced designer setting, go with Ritani.

https://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/french-set-halo-diamond-band-engagement-ring-in-platinum/4975

For handforged, go with Victor Canera (he gives preference to those who buy a diamond from him, so he may or may not be able to do it) or Steven Kirsch in NYC. Both make the finest quality settings and have had minimal complaints. These will cost at least double the price of the Ritani, though.

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-emilya-halo-solitaire

http://www.stevenkirsch.com/engagement/halo/r0154.html

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Ha ha at holding hands!! My sisters is actually a hair under 1.5! She's 1.47. Looks the same to me. I definitely like the icy white personally ... My sisters is GIA graded as well yes.

Ritani is gorgeous. Thank you!!

Do you think the H is a better cut??? I don't know how to link back to my thread with the specs. Let me find ..

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
SPECS..

Current:
1.50ct $12,500
VS1, F, Gia triple excellent
7.39x 7.37x 4.53mm
61.3 depth
57 table
35.0/40.8 ca/pa
GIA 2171344970
Strong blue

Considering:
1218316649 GIA number
1.7ct VVS1 H, medium fluoro
35/40.8 CA/PA
61.6 depth
56 table
7.64x7.68x4.72mm

Let me know about cut differences ... I have a gemologist at the blue Nile vault checking on the H coloration - specifically whether it's closer to a G or an I to help me make my (hopefully final) decision!

Thanks again!!

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Got the quote. It's affordable. Do you think the halo will be TOO large with the 1.5?

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Upgraded to the 1.7 carat. Still interested to hear which cut is better!

They said the H is a "true H" per the vendor with "no visible tint"

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Yay! Hope someone can help with the cut (as long as it also makes you say "yay"!). VVS1? Dang!

Halos, IMHO, look great with larger stones :) So I vote no....1.5 not too large. :) Halo will comment well 1.5 or 1.7 and look ginormous! The link above for the Ritani halo is wonderful! Price is great. ....then noticed that price was for up to a quarter ct. center. Price will be more. Knock out setting!

Edited! Lol....sorry, up to a 25 ct center. Decimal location is mucho importante!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results