shape
carat
color
clarity

upgrading stone to round cut - please advise

sparkle230

Rough_Rock
I'm looking to upgrade my 2.05 D, VS2 princess cut stone to a round brilliant. 

Please help review this 3.06 CT stone below.
What should be the max price difference I should pay for the upgrade with my stone's trade in value? 
Also based on the GIA certificate, should I worry about the feather near the edge of the girdle?
Thanks, any help is appreciated.

GIA certified, 3.06 carat Round, H color, si2 (It looks pretty close to being eye clean).
GIA report 2186401714

Table 58%
depth 61.4%
crown angle 35%
Pavillion angle 40.6%
florescence is faint

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The tricky part here is actually the 'trade in' side of the deal. It leads to quite a few questions. This is a different transaction entirely.

Did the jeweler you're buying the new one from sell you this original stone?
If so, do they have a formal trade in program? If so, what is it?
If not, have you asked them straight out what they'll offer for it? If not, have you talked to the original seller about this whole deal?
Who said it's D/VS2?
Have you had it professionally inspected for condition, cut and other details beyond the 3 datapoints you listed above (weight/clarity/color)?
Presumably they've given you a price for the new one already. Have you shopped that and are you happy with it, on it's own, independent of how much you can sell the other one for?

sparkle230

Rough_Rock
No, I did not purchase my original princess cut stone from this seller. My stone is D VS2 GIA certified and laser inscribed and I would be trading in my stone at a lower price than what I paid. They are asking a significant price difference, $17,000 more with my trade in.

Regarding the 3 CT round stone, I brought an idealscope with me to the store to look at the diamond and I can see the arrows with lots of red facing up. It also ranks 1.0 HCA.

My main concern are the inclusions being an SI2. Based on the plot diagram, should I be concerned with the inclusions?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would not buy an SI2 with a feather on the girdle. I am VERY lenient on clarity and that's a deal breaker even for me. ESPECIALLY on a 3 carat stones. Those larger stones get knocked all to heck and back.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1463277317|4031807 said:
I would not buy an SI2 with a feather on the girdle. I am VERY lenient on clarity and that's a deal breaker even for me. ESPECIALLY on a 3 carat stones. Those larger stones get knocked all to heck and back.

+1 (although I am not exactly lenient on clarity)

sparkle230

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice. I'm actually not 100% sure if that is a needle or a feather near the girdle based on the plot diagram. Based on looking at the certificate, are you still concerned? If the feather or needle doesn't reach the surface or touch the girdle, is it still a deal breaker for you if it is near the edge?

I don't have an idealscope image unfortunately. I brought along with me an idealscope to look at the diamond and could see the arrows.

Any comments on the trade up value also?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
sparkle230|1463268187|4031761 said:
No, I did not purchase my original princess cut stone from this seller. My stone is D VS2 GIA certified and laser inscribed and I would be trading in my stone at a lower price than what I paid. They are asking a significant price difference, $17,000 more with my trade in.

Regarding the 3 CT round stone, I brought an idealscope with me to the store to look at the diamond and I can see the arrows with lots of red facing up. It also ranks 1.0 HCA.

My main concern are the inclusions being an SI2. Based on the plot diagram, should I be concerned with the inclusions?
A quickie search in the database here for 2.0-2.05/D/VS2/GIA/princess shows 29 retail offers ranging from $14,700 to $25,400 depending on details we don't know. Eliminate the extremes and it goes from about $18k to $22k.

Most of the buyers pay about half to ¾ of those current selling prices on tradeins and purchases, assuming there's no damage or other important problems of course. Tiny details matter a lot, but what you paid has nothing to do.

sparkle230

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the reply. Are there any rough price estimates for a 3.06 CT round brilliant, H SI2, GIA 3X, HCA 1.0 that you can provide? I've looked on the various pricescope vendors and cannot find one similar to compare prices.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
3.0-3.1/H/SI2/GIA/xxx shows over 90 offers in the database ranging from $21,000 to $36,000. Not all, or even most, make a claim about HCA but at least two claim excellent. Both of those are just over $30k. I'm fairly confident there will be others in that list that just didn't upload the data to include the HCA score. Exclude, say, 10% at the bottom and the top and the range looks like about $26k-34k (from these dealers. Others price things differently)

https://www.pricescope.com/diamond-search-results

sparkle230

Rough_Rock
Thank you Denver Appraiser. Based on the plot diagram of the GIA cert, would you be concerned with a needle at the girdle? Is it a deal breaker?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results