shape
carat
color
clarity

Upgrading my setting...WF Custom Halo...help needed!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jennkim27

Rough_Rock
Premium
After much deliberation, I have finally decided to take the plunge and upgrade my setting. I currently have 1.35 round in a tiffany-style solitaire (from WF) setting. I have asked WF to help with designing a custom halo, inspired by this picture:

http://com.pricescope.com/photos/whiteflash/category1023/picture3399.aspx

I''m having a difficult time explaining that I DO NOT want my halo to look like this:

http://com.pricescope.com/photos/whiteflash/category1023/picture3424.aspx

The second ring is beautiful but I''m going for a more delicate, less metal look. Can some seasoned PSers help me out with explaining to me why the second halo looks different from the first halo? They''re both round centers with a cushion-shaped halo but as everyone knows, when it comes to our rings, even the slightest detail makes a huge difference. I feel like a major dork when I''m talking with my WF diamond consultant..."Uhh...so I want the halo to be small" "do you mean you want the stones in the halo to be small or the halo itself?" SIGH.

Thank you everyone!!!!

peaches

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I am by NO means an expert but from the photos it looks like the first halo is a shared prong setting while the second halo is channel set? Correct me if I'm wrong, PS'ers!

PS -- congrats on your upgrade.
1.gif

jennkim27

Rough_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/14/2009 12:51:32 AM
Author: peaches
I am by NO means an expert but from the photos it looks like the first halo is a shared prong setting while the second halo is channel set? Correct me if I''m wrong, PS''ers!

PS -- congrats on your upgrade.
1.gif

thank you...it''s for my 1 year wedding anniversary coming up. You would think after lurking on these posts for so long I would pick up the lingo and the terminology (still don''t know what a shank is) but I guess I spend most of my time drooling over other people''s beautiful rings than educating myself
5.gif

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
I'm no expert either, but I CAN tell you that neither of them are channel set. I can clearly see the prongs on both halos. It almost looks like the diamonds in the halo on the one that you DO like, are smaller. But that may have something to do with the center diamond sizes. The one with the halo you don't like is a 1.02ct, and the other is 1.2ct.. Maybe it has something to do with how high the diamond is set away from the halo..

Maybe someone who has more information can chime in.

Can you not send WF the image of the one you do like and say "I want it like THAT"?

EDIT: I don't want to say for sure that it's not channel set. Looking at it again, I guess it could be channel bead set, but they look like prongs to me.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Eh. I don''t know much about the terms, but I know that that second setting is not channel set, and I think it''s bead set. I think the first one is shared prong.

Have you sent them the pics and said, "Don''t want it to look like this, but this other one is awesome."

Pictures speak louder than words and all of that.

jennkim27

Rough_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/14/2009 1:11:19 AM
Author: Feralpenchant
I''m no expert either, but I CAN tell you that neither of them are channel set. I can clearly see the prongs on both halos. It almost looks like the diamonds in the halo on the one that you DO like, are smaller. But that may have something to do with the center diamond sizes. The one with the halo you don''t like is a 1.02ct, and the other is 1.2ct.. Maybe it has something to do with how high the diamond is set away from the halo..

Maybe someone who has more information can chime in.

Can you not send WF the image of the one you do like and say ''I want it like THAT''?

You''re right Feral...that''s EXACTLY what i just did :) All i can say it this entire custom setting process is driving me crazy. I guess I''m just semi-terrified that my expectations are too high in thinking that WF can duplicate that ring exactly, then getting the ring and being disappointed. Not to mention being without my rings for a good 6 weeks is saddening too, I keep on looking down at my left hand expecting a twinkle, and it''s not there.

jennkim27

Rough_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the advice everyone. It makes total sense for the pictures to do the explaining for me, rather than me trying to dissect the specifications of someone else''s custom ring!

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
LOL it just seemed like the logical thing to do.

Sometimes it takes someone pointing out what''s in front of your nose for you to see it
3.gif

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think there''s a technical term for it but I think it always helps to specify the size of the diamonds you want in your halo and also to mention that you want a ''scalloped'' effect. The second ring has more metal around the halo making it look more smooth than scalloped, if that makes sense!

From what I''ve heard about the folk at Whiteflash they''re pretty on the ball with custom work so I''m sure if you just send them these two pictures they''ll know what to do! Good luck with this and don''t forget to come back with pictures when it''s finished!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The one you *don''t want* is bead set. The one you *do want* is prong set. Send the photos, they will know what its all about!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 9:42:39 AM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
The one you *don't want* is bead set. The one you *do want* is prong set. Send the photos, they will know what its all about!

Yep. Especially as they made both rings I don't think there should be a problem at all.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
then halo you DO like looks like the stone sits higher up above the halo...looks like it covers some of the stones in the halo

the other that you don't want looks like it's set lower showing all stones.

I could be wrong but that's what it looks like to me. I have a Halo and mine is more like the one you don't want. WF custom made mine with my design

idea...don't worry they will do as you wish. It will be worth it

jennkim27

Rough_Rock
Premium
I feel MUCH better. I sent off the pictures to WF and let them use their technical expertise to figure out how to make this ring come true for me. I will be coming back to post CADS hopefully very soon, and after that the obligatory ring and hand shots of course!
emteeth.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results