shape
carat
color
clarity

Upgrading my diamond studs :D

heartsandarrows

Rough_Rock
Hello diamond experts,

I would like to upgrade my 1 ctw diamond studs to a bigger pair (1.8 ctw). I will be upgrading through the Blue Nile's upgrade program. I spotted this pair below which has excellent HCA scores. My only concern is their clarity being SI2 and I'm not sure if they are eye clean. They are 0.9 ct each, H color, SI2 clarity and excellent cut.

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-earrings/diamond-details/LD06480141-LD06542073

Their GIA report can be found through the link, as well as details of their proportions.
Please let me know your thoughts on these :)

Thank you all :angel:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I normally choose a cut close to the measurements of ideal cut diamonds which would generally fall around these parameters.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0

pavilion angle: 40.6-41.0

If buying blind, such as with BN, I feel like staying within those parameters at least is somewhat of a safety net. You can selected 60/60 type stones with larger tables and less depth. That can result in greater diameter which is kind of nice for earrings, but that is something only you can decide regarding the cut.

I would never buy SI2 unless they have them in hand and can describe how eyeclean the stones are. Even SI1 can have visible inclusions. For this reason, I would hesitate to go below VS2 at BN. I personally would not want an SI2 with the first listed inclusion as feather (crack) as that is the primary inclusion. But I am probably more conscious of clarity than some.

An upgrade from .5 to .9 each will be very nice!

Demerara

Rough_Rock
Hi Heartsandarrows,

I would not buy any SI-range diamonds blindly if the stone is larger than 3mm in diameter, unless you have the possibility to return them at no additional cost. Like diamondseeker already said, please avoid feathers as they tend to become a problem near the girdle. Feathers are ok in the VVS-range, but in a SI stone they might cause the diamond to break.

heartsandarrows

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the reply. Yes, you are right about SI2, I asked their diamond advisor about whether if they are eye clean and they replied that they are not, so I'm passing on these. Thank you :angel:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
heididdl|1450656905|3964013 said:
go to Yekeutal at IDJ.....more bang for your but www.idjewelry.com

She has diamonds that she has to upgrade through Blue Nile. That is a great suggestion, though!

heartsandarrows

Rough_Rock
Hello!

Wish everyone is having a jolly Christmas!

I found two more pairs, that are almost within the cheat sheet criteria, and passes the hca test. One of the diamond in a pair always seem to perform a bit better than the other. Think Blue Nile is open to mix and match too, but I'm not sure about mix and matching VS1 with VS2 for diamond studs?

1.8 ctw I VS2 $7705
http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-earrings/diamonds?stockno=LD05964062-LD06193458

1.8 ctw I VS1 $7958
http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-earrings/diamonds?stockno=LD06354293-LD06427350

I won't be considering SI2 anymore due to eye clean issue.

Another option is not to upgrade and purchase Tiffany Victoria earrings in size small. What do you all think?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, sure, you can mix and match clarity. My current pair is VS2/SI1 because that was the closest matched pair I could find at the time and they were able to confirm the SI1 was totally eyeclean (and it is, I can't tell it apart from the other stone). Were you using their automatic matching or did you pick each stone in each pair? The first pair is a good match. Obviously it would be nice if the 35.5 crown angle was a little lower, but I am fine with this pair since diameters, table, lower girdle facets are all well matched. I can't look right now because it is so late, but you can look at all the .90 I VS1 and VS2's and see if there is another match for the I VS2 that has the 35/40.6 angles. I don't think either of the VS1 stones is a better match for the better VS2 stone. I am fine with the VS2 pair if that is the best match.

I have a few Tiffany pieces and I enjoy them. But I would place a classic pair of studs in higher priority than Victoria earrings, personally.

heartsandarrows

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1451022370|3966036 said:
Oh, sure, you can mix and match clarity. My current pair is VS2/SI1 because that was the closest matched pair I could find at the time and they were able to confirm the SI1 was totally eyeclean (and it is, I can't tell it apart from the other stone). Were you using their automatic matching or did you pick each stone in each pair? The first pair is a good match. Obviously it would be nice if the 35.5 crown angle was a little lower, but I am fine with this pair since diameters, table, lower girdle facets are all well matched. I can't look right now because it is so late, but you can look at all the .90 I VS1 and VS2's and see if there is another match for the I VS2 that has the 35/40.6 angles. I don't think either of the VS1 stones is a better match for the better VS2 stone. I am fine with the VS2 pair if that is the best match.

I have a few Tiffany pieces and I enjoy them. But I would place a classic pair of studs in higher priority than Victoria earrings, personally.

Thank you so much for your response, but looks like the VS2 pair has been sold :( I picked these out using their advanced filter option and set table and depth within the cheat sheet range.

Hope you are having a great Christmas :angel:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results