shape
carat
color
clarity

Upgrading....how much bigger will make a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
This should have been the first question......

The B&Ms here don''t have access to the inventory of the shapes and sizes I''m looking at. Otherwise I would be able to line stones up next to each other.

I have done a little legwork into the local B&M''s only to have unsavoury differing experiences in all of them.

Current e-ring
EC
2.37 ct
with pave halo so looks bigger, will probably halo new ring as well.
8.66 x 6.85 x 4.55

Want to get away from step cuts back to some sparkle. Looking at H-I si1-2 stones.

Rbs
ovals
pears......

Thanks

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Generally, depending on the shape, a difference of half a mm is noticeable in a round, others might have different opinions, other shapes may show weight differently etc. Of course, this depends on the cut, a diamond cut very deep with a thick girdle can look smaller than one which weighs less in caratage, but has better proportions. So make sure you check out the diameter measurements of each contender. I will add a mm chart in a moment for each shape, so you can see roughly what they should measure.

MM to carat weight conversion chart

Also bear in mind that ovals and pears are thought to look bigger than the equivalent weight rounds. Also check very carefully in the larger size diamonds that an SI grade is eyeclean, as the larger you go, sometimes inclusions are more visible, likewise colour. I wish I could find the diagram chart with all the different sizes and shapes for comparison, but I can't seem to find it now....Amazon used to have a good one.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You clever girl - that would be it!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
emotion-15.gif

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the chart.....

What I am seeing from the chart, that with the exception of the ec, the 3ct rb is still visually larger than the pear. Is it an illusion?

thanks.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 7:48:42 AM
Author:sparkles
This should have been the first question......

The B&Ms here don't have access to the inventory of the shapes and sizes I'm looking at. Otherwise I would be able to line stones up next to each other.

I have done a little legwork into the local B&M's only to have unsavoury differing experiences in all of them.

Current e-ring
EC
2.37 ct
with pave halo so looks bigger, will probably halo new ring as well.
8.66 x 6.85 x 4.55

Want to get away from step cuts back to some sparkle. Looking at H-I si1-2 stones.

Rbs
ovals
pears......

Thanks
I think if you got a 7.5-8 mm round it would look pretty close in size, but if you matched your length and doubled that (8.66 diameter round) it would look larger.

So basically I think you could keep the same carat weight and look bigger in a round, so anything bigger will look, well, even bigger LOL

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
sparkles, why don''t you post your hand shot and i will photoshop some haloed rb, ovals or pear on to your hand? How a ring looks on a particular hand is important too when upgrading.

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
oops ..ill try in the morning.thankyou.

ring size 4.25 - 4.5

How do i photoshop please?

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks...thats funny!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results