shape
carat
color
clarity

Upgrading from 14kt to 18kt

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

day_lily_me

Rough_Rock
I''ve got a question. I have a bracelet that I had custom made several years ago in 14kt gold (because I have large wrists) - with some gold that I had on hand. It''s a very plain bangle bracelet - essentially just a rolled out piece of gold that''s about 3/8" wide. It weighs a little over 38 grams. My question is that I would like to have it remade into 18kt gold. What would that involve, is it possible, and would this be an expenisve project? After upgrading it to 18kt I would like to have some diamonds set in it in some way. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

day_lily_me

Rough_Rock
Hey out there? Does anybody have any ideas about this? I know it must seem materialistic to want to do this but you know how all of us are so over the top about our jewelry. We''ve all got out idiosyncrisies and I guess this has become one of mine. Please help.
34.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think anyone regards it as materialistic, they just probably don''t know! I am not sure that (a) you would find someone who would do this and (b) it would cost any less than just buying a new 18kt bangle? Sorry I couldn''t be of help...but don''t think that nobody answering means we''re judging you...it just means we don''t know!!!
1.gif

day_lily_me

Rough_Rock
Thanks Firegoddess. I was beginning to think that maybe I was being over the top on this. I guess I just need to go in and talk to a jeweler to see what they have to say about it. I knew that I could do that - I just thought that some of the experts here might have some ideas about it. Thanks again.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I seriously doubt there''s any purpose in recycling the old bracelet. You probably just need to have one made in 18k like you want. I''m not sure you can turn the 14k into 18k.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im not sure what your asking, it would have to be made with freshly refined gold or the 14k would have to refined then alloyed to 18k.
Any other way of doing it would result in a frankenstien alloy that who knows how it would hold up.

Id have it made from fresh rolled 18k flat stock.
Are you sure you want 18k? A lot of US 18k is a bit greenish but by going custom you can specify dark yellow 18k alloy if the goldsmith knows what they are doing.
Dark yellow 18k is pretty close to the typical US 22k in color.
Its pretty kewl.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
btw I actually prefer the typical 14k color to the typical 18k color and love the color of 22k-24k but its soft so the dark yellow 18k is a good compromise or just stick with 14k which is what I usually do.

day_lily_me

Rough_Rock
Thanks everybody. I talked to a local jeweler this morning and this is what he suggested and I''d like your opinion on it. He said that what he''d have to do to turn this 38+ gram 14 kt bracelet into the same weight 18kt bracelet is to add pure gold. He went into the back room and came back and said that he would need about 25 grams of pure gold to add to my bracelet when he melted it down. But he did say that when he was through, I would have enough gold left to make another bracelet - maybe not as big as the first one but another one just the same. Does that sound right? I don''t want to make a mistake. TIA.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Why do you want to make it 18k gold? Is it the color?

Blod
33.gif

day_lily_me

Rough_Rock
Yes, part of it is the color. But the other part is just being a jewelry snob I guess. All my other jewelry is 18tk and for some reason I can''t love this bracelet since it''s not. I know I''m nuts but I can''t help it. Please don''t hold that against me.
28.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2006 10:20:02 AM
Author: day_lily_me
Thanks everybody. I talked to a local jeweler this morning and this is what he suggested and I''d like your opinion on it. He said that what he''d have to do to turn this 38+ gram 14 kt bracelet into the same weight 18kt bracelet is to add pure gold. He went into the back room and came back and said that he would need about 25 grams of pure gold to add to my bracelet when he melted it down. But he did say that when he was through, I would have enough gold left to make another bracelet - maybe not as big as the first one but another one just the same. Does that sound right? I don''t want to make a mistake. TIA.

No way id do it.
There is no way of knowing what the resulting alloy will be like, could be hard and brittle or could be butter soft.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Besides what Strm said....if you have to buy enough gold and end up with enough left over that an entire second bracelet could be made....seems more cost effective just to have an 18kt version made from scratch, and keep the 14kt version, IMO!!

day_lily_me

Rough_Rock
Okay you guys. That''s what I wanted to know. Y''all are the experts and I''ve come to rely on what I read here on PS as the gospel. I''ll just keep the one I have and if I decide that I have to have the 18kt, I''ll just have him make me a new one from scratch. Thanks so much everybody!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results