shape
carat
color
clarity

Upgrading a diamond question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

E-5

Rough_Rock
I intended to buy my lady a e-ring between
1 CAROT
SI1-VS2
G-I COLOUR

Before I had a chance to buy the ring, I found out a family member pre-bought a e-ring as a gift for me.
The ring that was pre-bought turns out to be,
1 CAROT
I1
J COLOUR

What should I do?

Is there somewhere I could upgrade the diamond?

reena

Ideal_Rock
let me get this straight: someone in your family went out and bought an e-ring for you to give your girlfriend without consulting you first? i mean, that's a nice gesture, but i'm surprised that the person didn't realize that YOU would want to pick the ring out yourself.

if i were you i would tell the relative very nicely but firmly that you are SO appreciative that he or she wanted to do this for you, but that this is a very special purchase and you wouldn't feel right unless you were involved in choosing the ring. then find out where the ring was purchased from and whether you are within the return period. (how long ago was the ring purchased?) hopefully you can either return it entirely or trade up for a stone with the specs that you want (you may have to contribute some extra $$$$).

good luck!

E-5

Rough_Rock
I had to take the ring. (believe me, I had no choice) & I can not return the ring from where it was purchased as it was overseas.

I'd just rather upgrade the diamond if I could & nobody would ever know.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, are you SURE no one will find out you upgraded? You might be better off giving it to her to be on the safe side but buying your own stone anyway. Tell her just to put the family given ring away but that she doesn't have to wear it....

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
It was a nice jesture, but how does the stone look?

E-5

Rough_Rock
It's nice except, I can see a yellowish tint.

I'm not concerned about the clarity and cut as we are both not diamond experts but I know she'll notice the yellow tint.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting dilemma. Just a suggestion, but you could have this one made into a pendant and give it to her as a wedding gift and go pick out your own engagement ring to give her?

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Please tell me it wasn't your mother? It's a nice gesture, but at some point, if you are going to be married, you have to put some distance between yourself and the expectations of relatives in order to put your wife first in your life. That being the case, tell the relative, nicely of course, that you really want to start your marriage with a stone you picked. You must think of your future wife's feelings in this. If the tint bothers you, it will bother her. As I always say (referring to myself) If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!! Good luck.

Shay

diamonewbie

Rough_Rock
Here's a question:
How will your wife-to-be feel when she finds out you didn't pick out the diamond? A lot of women I know find it special when her man picks it out for them. What if she's disappointed in the ring? It sounds like you already think she will be.

Since it was a gift, I suggest going with another poster's suggestion and making it into a pendant or something, and just buy her a diamond yourself! Either that, or upgrade it like you are thinking of doing. If the subject comes up, then...well, that's what white lies are for! I must admit, that's a weird gift. I've certainly gotten worse ones though.
loopy.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Overseas" does not mean beyond the end of the world... usually. Is it really impossible to track down the seller and upgrade ? After explaining the good samaritan what a great contribution his/her gesture is to your purchase of course
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results