Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Upgrade from 1.74 round to 3.01 round - images included

lizzardxoxo

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 26, 2007
Messages
64
Having a difficult time finding my desired ~3 carat round diamond upgrade (that falls within my budget). Found one that I *think* looks nice, but would love feedback. Feeling a slight twinge of guilt about upgrading my current diamond, so I’m including specs on my current stone, as well.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this stone – good, bad or indifferent. I have some concerns over the inclusions…


3.01 Round (potential purchase):

http://www.finestardiamonds.com/DiamondView.aspx?pid=847410231
GIA
G color
Eye-clean
VS2
Length/Width ratio 1.00
Depth 62.1%
Table 56.0%
Polish & Symmetry Excellent
Girdle Medium to Slightly Thick
Culet none
No fluorescence
Measurements 9.25 x 9.21 x 5.73 mm
AGA Score: 1B
HCA Score: 1.3


My current round diamond:

1.74 carat
GIA
G color
Eye-clean
VS2
Depth 61.3%
Table 56.0%
Polish & Symmetry Excellent
Girdle Thin to Medium faceted
Culet none
No Flourescence
Measurements 7.75 x 7.78 x 4.76 mm
AGA Score: 1A
HCA Score: 1.5


THANK YOU! :wavey:

_38053.jpg

bn_0.jpg

bn_4.jpg

bn_5.jpg
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,734
The new diamond looks good. It may not be perfect, but I think it is worth buying if the price is right. I have never heard of that vendor, though. Are you in the US? I think I saw your earlier thread but I don't recall the details. What is the price on the new stone? Are you trading in your old diamond?
 

lizzardxoxo

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 26, 2007
Messages
64
Thank you, Diamondseeker. I am in the US (Boston). I found this stone on the Blue Nile website. I've been contemplating doing an upgrade of my original BN diamond or sell it myself and open my options elsewhere.

The new diamond appears to be in India... Not sure if that matters or not, since I would be buying it through Blue Nile?

Very happy you chimed in on the overall look of the stone. The imagery can be tricky for us novices to interept.


Thank you
 

lizzardxoxo

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 26, 2007
Messages
64
diamondseeker2006|1471653010|4067867 said:
The new diamond looks good. It may not be perfect, but I think it is worth buying if the price is right. I have never heard of that vendor, though. Are you in the US? I think I saw your earlier thread but I don't recall the details. What is the price on the new stone? Are you trading in your old diamond?
New stone is $48k. My current diamond is $17k.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
I agree with DS. Good solid stone. Not perfect, but definitely worth a visit in person.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Do you have a picture of the stone?
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,734
That stone spins so fast I can hardly see it, but I would have slight concern about the feather under the table and whether it reaches the surface. I think that location might bother me.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Pretty stone.

Yes, I have an inclusion concerns. The grade setting inclusions are feathers. Those are usually fine for durability if the stone is a Vs2, but since it is a giant rock and there seem to be MANY feathers, few of which I can see on the video in magnification, I would DEFINITELY ask a gemologist at Blue Nile to explain those inclusions to you. Are ALL those lines feathers??? How many feathers are there? And if they are all feathers, why the heck is the stone a Vs2 with that many feathers???

It's strange. So yes, I would definitely follow up on that.

And if they can't tell you, then get the stone but send it to Neil or another PS appraiser and have them advise you. It's too much money, too big a stone for any doubt on the inclusion front.
 

lizzardxoxo

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 26, 2007
Messages
64
Thanks for the feedback. I am also concerned about the feathers. Just sent an email to the person I'm working with at BN. I also inquired about how many transactions BN has had with this particular vendor.

And, lastly, in the event I move forward with this upgrade and decide to return it, do I get back my old Diamond?
 

lizzardxoxo

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 26, 2007
Messages
64
I think, in this instance, I will buy the diamond first (without the upgrade) and determine whether or not it's viable. Then do the official upgrade after the fact.

Not sure if this can even happen from a rules and process standpoint with BN, but that would give me the most peace of mind.
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,734
I just looked at diamond prices, and the $48k is really on the very low end of 3 ct xxx G VS2's. I am leaning towards thinking the inclusions are closer to SI1 or that the top feather (or another) reaches the surface which might explain the price.

I personally would drop below three carats, or drop to H color, or increase budget to get a cleaner, well cut stone. Rarely is a very low priced (retail) stone a bargain.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Well, you may want to talk to BN about their policies first.

But I would probably buy it and see it too.

Are you near one of the better appraisers?
 

po720

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2016
Messages
73
lizzardxoxo|1471660633|4067926 said:
I think, in this instance, I will buy the diamond first (without the upgrade) and determine whether or not it's viable. Then do the official upgrade after the fact.

Not sure if this can even happen from a rules and process standpoint with BN, but that would give me the most peace of mind.
Hi lizzard! I'm currently working on an upgrade on BN too and can tell you from experience that you can reserve a stone for 48 hours and need to let them know when you are ready to send the original stone back to get the RMA number so that you can pay the difference for the new stone. They don't allow you to process the upgrade as a new purchase and then send the original stone back (unfortunately :( ) because they hold onto the new stone until they receive your old stone and it passes the quality inspection, etc.

Make sure to include your original GIA with the older stone too in your return, otherwise they will charge an additional $250 to send to GIA again. After a few moves over the years, we couldn't find ours and I couldn't justify losing the $250 so I brought it to the GIA office in NY since it was only $79 to for me to get it done there (my original stone is under 1.5 ct but even at 1.7 it should still be considerably less than $250). The delay on the replacement report caused me to miss out on my top pick on BN and start from square one so as a cautionary tale, don't set your heart on any of their stones unless you are positive you have it on reserve and are ready to send back the old stone and pay the difference for the new one to move forward.

After you receive the stone you have 30 days to return it so if you're not happy, it's not an issue, but they cannot give you your old stone back, you will just have the credit for the original stone's amount to use towards an upgrade of double the original value to cash in whenever you find the next best stone.

I hope this was helpful and sending you best wishes on your upgrade journey, i know how harrowing it can be trying to pick something that costs so much without actually seeing it or comparing to others in person. :wavey:
 

lizzardxoxo

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 26, 2007
Messages
64
Po720 – thank you for clarifying the BN policy. I also lost my original GIA certificate (only have the electronic scanned copy), so I will need to order a reprint.

With that said, I’ve spent the last few days contemplating the 3.02 G color diamond with many feather inclusions, and something just didn’t sit well with me, so I decided to move on.


The new diamond I have reserved includes the below stats. Would love to get any opinions on this stone, especially since it is H color and “very good” symmetry (vs. excellent)

3.01
GIA
Round
Ideal Cut
H Color
Length/Width Ratio 1.0
Depth 60.7%
Table 57%
Crown Angle 34.5
Crown Depth 14.5
Pavilion Depth 43%
Pavilion Angle 40.8
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Very Good
Girdle Medium
Culet None
Fluorescence None
Measurements: 9.31 x 9.32 x 5.66 mm
Scores 1.3 HCA
Scores 1A AGA

_38060.jpg

_38061.jpg
 

po720

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2016
Messages
73
Hi Lizzard, just returned my stones to BN last night and thought of you. How is your upgrade process going? Any issues with BN? Hope your search is going well!!
 

lizzardxoxo

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 26, 2007
Messages
64
Hi po720! Thanks for checking in :wavey:

I'm shipping my current ring to BN tomorrow, right after I have my ring cut off my finger at the jeweler :wall:

Cannot, for life of me, get my current ring off! I hope it's not a sign!

I'm excited to get my new 3.01 carat upgrade. Unfortunately, I will now have to repair the setting after it's cut off my finger.

I do want to say how PLEASED I have been with Blue Nile- from start to finish. Will definitely use them again in the future!

Good luck with your new upgrade! Post some pics once you have them!
 

lizzardxoxo

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 26, 2007
Messages
64
PS - I ended up going with the G color. After further educating myself on feather inclusions in VS2 diamonds, I felt a lot more comfortable with moving forward with this diamond.
 

po720

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2016
Messages
73
Hi Lizzard,

I'm sorry to hear you had to have your ring cut off :( do you have ideas yet of what you want to do for the setting? repair the old one or get a new one?

I sent my stone back last week too and am waiting in BN purgatory for their quality assurance to process the old one and then order the new one... this will be the longest 2 weeks ever ahhhhhh..
 

lizzardxoxo

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 26, 2007
Messages
64
po720|1472568621|4071434 said:
Hi Lizzard,

I'm sorry to hear you had to have your ring cut off :( do you have ideas yet of what you want to do for the setting? repair the old one or get a new one?

I sent my stone back last week too and am waiting in BN purgatory for their quality assurance to process the old one and then order the new one... this will be the longest 2 weeks ever ahhhhhh..
Hi PO!

Because I previously had my local jeweler create a lower basket in my original BN engagement ring, the new larger stone won't fit.

So...I am going to buy a Tacori setting. Torn between these two. Would love some opinions!

For what it's worth, QA only took 1 week with my original diamond. You should be hearing from BN any day now! Keep me posted!!

_38141.jpg

_38142.jpg
 

lizzardxoxo

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 26, 2007
Messages
64
My personal preference has always been to NOT get a halo, due to fear of taking away from the diamond (again, just my personal preference)..but, there is SOMETHING about these Tacori's that have definitely changed my mind.
 

po720

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2016
Messages
73
Hi lizard!! Long time :) I have been avoiding PS while I wait for my new stone so as not to drive myself nuts in anticipation but I am all caught up on the missed action ;-) my QA took longer than expected and my new stone was overseas so it won't be here until mid-next week... I am sorry to hear you can't use the old band so so so excited for you to put that huge new stone in such a fabulous setting!! I'm not usually a fan of halos either but those tacori settings have something special to them, almost like the center stone has a frosted perimeter! I'm partial to a little more bling so I love the top one but the bottom one is gorgeous if your going for a more "solitaire" look... Keep us posted and the pics coming :)!!
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,734
lizzard, did you have someone visually check the inclusion under the table before buying it? Have you seen it?
 

lizzardxoxo

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 26, 2007
Messages
64
diamondseeker2006|1473639824|4075329 said:
lizzard, did you have someone visually check the inclusion under the table before buying it? Have you seen it?
The feather, Diamondseeker?
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,734
lizzardxoxo|1473641172|4075336 said:
diamondseeker2006|1473639824|4075329 said:
lizzard, did you have someone visually check the inclusion under the table before buying it? Have you seen it?
The feather, Diamondseeker?
I saw that you said a few posts back that you bought the first stone which was a G VS2 that Gypsy and I expressed concern about the inclusion under the table. The price was low on that diamond and I suspect that could be why. It is possible you might be able to see that feather when light hits it a certain way.
 

lizzardxoxo

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 26, 2007
Messages
64
Finally had a moment to post a pic of my 3.01 Blue Nile upgrade. Couldn't be more happy with it! Went with a simple 6 prong setting until I figure out what to do next...but I must say, I am loving th simplicity of the 6 prong solitaire!


Here's a pic (taken with iPhone)

_38382.jpg
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Princess Diana: Timeless Jewelry Every Woman Should Own
    Princess Diana: Timeless Jewelry Every Woman Should Own
    Diamond Jewelry For 4th Of July Quarantine Celebrations
    Diamond Jewelry For 4th Of July Quarantine Celebrations
    Fancy Greyish Yellowish Green Diamond
    Fancy Greyish Yellowish Green Diamond

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top