color
clarity

Updates, anyone?

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
audball|1355265388|3328866 said:
madelise|1355254670|3328697 said:
maccers|1355244076|3328538 said:
Madelise - The stone is 1.1ct, I/J (David Atlas appraised but not a GIA Cert), SI1. I forget the exact measurements, it's about 6.5mm.

No wonder! I/J Is very white for an old cut!!! And rare! It's beautiful, maccers!
Indeed! :appl:

Thanks ladies! However I finally went back to the JbEG site to read about the stone again (the David Atlas appraisal) and it says very thin bruted girdle. I'm not concerned about the bruted part but I am suddenly freaking out about the very thin part! Honestly, I don't know WHY i'm paying attention to that now, I really should have thought of that EARLIER. Anyway, my setting is not a bezel or halo so the stone will be exposed. Should I be freaking out?

audball

Ideal_Rock
maccers|1355265778|3328872 said:
Thanks ladies! However I finally went back to the JbEG site to read about the stone again (the David Atlas appraisal) and it says very thin bruted girdle. I'm not concerned about the bruted part but I am suddenly freaking out about the very thin part! Honestly, I don't know WHY i'm paying attention to that now, I really should have thought of that EARLIER. Anyway, my setting is not a bezel or halo so the stone will be exposed. Should I be freaking out?
Ok - no freaking out yet. What was your setting preference again?

I have had two schools of thought given to me on this topic. You'll have to choose which is right for you. First of all, the stone is very old. Some more care free people take the notion that if it hasn't chipped by normal wear in the last 100 years, what makes us think it will now? Especially worn by a PSer who is likely to baby their jewelry more than a standard person. We insure jewelry to cover these sorts of accidents. Wear it, enjoy it, take care of it.

The other school of thought is to just get it fixed OR set it in a setting that is less likely to cause problems. I chose this train, personally. I had my heart set on the Sholdt semi bezel setting where the girdle is COMPLETELY exposed on two sides. The girdle of my stone was EXTREMELY THIN and had a knife edge the whole way around. There were no chips, mouse bites, nothing, but it clearly wasn't a safe choice to go in my dream setting. So Andrew and I (after discussing it with our jeweler at Pearlmans) decided to have the girdle recut to make it thicker. We used Brian Gavin Diamonds and couldn't be happier with our experience. The money was well worth the peace of mind and being able to use my setting. It changed the grade of my girdle to Thin to Slightly Thick with a majority of the girdle falling in the middle as "medium". I lost very little weight (.002ct) and very little spread (.01mm in one direction and .002 in the other).

It is insured and I got my dream setting. I've more/less covered my bases. But I also "get" the idea to live and let live, enjoy your jewelry, take care of it, and insure it. You just have to decide what's right for you.

Let me know if I can answer any more questions about the process! They quoted about a 6 week turnaround, but I got it back within 3!

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
audball|1355267716|3328902 said:
maccers|1355265778|3328872 said:
Ok - no freaking out yet. What was your setting preference again?

I have had two schools of thought given to me on this topic. You'll have to choose which is right for you. First of all, the stone is very old. Some more care free people take the notion that if it hasn't chipped by normal wear in the last 100 years, what makes us think it will now? Especially worn by a PSer who is likely to baby their jewelry more than a standard person. We insure jewelry to cover these sorts of accidents. Wear it, enjoy it, take care of it.

The other school of thought is to just get it fixed OR set it in a setting that is less likely to cause problems. I chose this train, personally. I had my heart set on the Sholdt semi bezel setting where the girdle is COMPLETELY exposed on two sides. The girdle of my stone was EXTREMELY THIN and had a knife edge the whole way around. There were no chips, mouse bites, nothing, but it clearly wasn't a safe choice to go in my dream setting. So Andrew and I (after discussing it with our jeweler at Pearlmans) decided to have the girdle recut to make it thicker. We used Brian Gavin Diamonds and couldn't be happier with our experience. The money was well worth the peace of mind and being able to use my setting. It changed the grade of my girdle to Thin to Slightly Thick with a majority of the girdle falling in the middle as "medium". I lost very little weight (.002ct) and very little spread (.01mm in one direction and .002 in the other).

It is insured and I got my dream setting. I've more/less covered my bases. But I also "get" the idea to live and let live, enjoy your jewelry, take care of it, and insure it. You just have to decide what's right for you.

Let me know if I can answer any more questions about the process! They quoted about a 6 week turnaround, but I got it back within 3!

Thanks so much for the in-depth reply, audball. I shared your response with my BF, he's in the first camp, ie: if the stone has made it this far in life, it'll make it for another few years (or decades, if there's no upgrading ;)) ) He also said the cost of getting the stone cut, shipping fees to and from Canada, he could have bought me an AVR, lol. I'm not sure I want an AVR (yet) as I like the idea of a true antique. But i digress...

The setting is this Tacori 2510...As an aside, that Sholdt semi-bezel, I have spent quite a bit of time looking at, over and over...I also like the one with the channel set diamonds. Unfortunately there are no Sholdt dealers where I live so I couldn't try it on IRL. There's something really really yummy about Sholdt - did you try on their Fern setting by chance (I think that's what it's called). It piqued my curiosity, it could be horrible in person, who knows.

_2315.jpg

audball

Ideal_Rock
maccers|1355326338|3329349 said:
Thanks so much for the in-depth reply, audball. I shared your response with my BF, he's in the first camp, ie: if the stone has made it this far in life, it'll make it for another few years (or decades, if there's no upgrading ;)) ) He also said the cost of getting the stone cut, shipping fees to and from Canada, he could have bought me an AVR, lol. I'm not sure I want an AVR (yet) as I like the idea of a true antique. But i digress...

The setting is this Tacori 2510...As an aside, that Sholdt semi-bezel, I have spent quite a bit of time looking at, over and over...I also like the one with the channel set diamonds. Unfortunately there are no Sholdt dealers where I live so I couldn't try it on IRL. There's something really really yummy about Sholdt - did you try on their Fern setting by chance (I think that's what it's called). It piqued my curiosity, it could be horrible in person, who knows.
Oh you are welcome! :)) I'm glad to help. With the setting you've chosen, I think I'd leave it be as well. The prongs are flatter and the setting will have some protection. Insure it and enjoy it.

As for the Sholdt, there are no dealers in my state so I haven't seen any Sholdt's in real life except the one I own. Pearlmans mailed me a sample with a fake stone to try on before committing to the purchase. They were amazing to work with. Do you have a picture of the Fern setting? I'm not sure I've even heard of it.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
audball|1355327057|3329360 said:
maccers|1355326338|3329349 said:

Oh you are welcome! :)) I'm glad to help. With the setting you've chosen, I think I'd leave it be as well. The prongs are flatter and the setting will have some protection. Insure it and enjoy it.

As for the Sholdt, there are no dealers in my state so I haven't seen any Sholdt's in real life except the one I own. Pearlmans mailed me a sample with a fake stone to try on before committing to the purchase. They were amazing to work with. Do you have a picture of the Fern setting? I'm not sure I've even heard of it.

I made a mistake, the finish is called 'fern'. It comes in a bezel set version too - I just thought it looked interesting but I haven't been able to find a picture with someone wearing it, just stock photos.

It's funny that I'm attracted to Sholdt because, generally, modern isn't my thing but Sholdt is so...yummy and a bit different from other modern settings, imo. I'd love to get a RHR one day in a Sholdt setting.

sholdt_538.jpg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Aud's detailed tips for you.

My 0.02: I don't like worrying. Ever. Even with insurance. Because insurance claims take time and effort, and waiting. And I'm sentimental and emotionally tied to material things for some stupid reasons. I'd rather spend the $2-300 to get the girdle fixed, and THEN top it off with insurance protection.

I love that YG Tacori, btw, are you seeking it in YG? It's beautiful

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1355334897|3329478 said:
I love Aud's detailed tips for you.

My 0.02: I don't like worrying. Ever. Even with insurance. Because insurance claims take time and effort, and waiting. And I'm sentimental and emotionally tied to material things for some stupid reasons. I'd rather spend the $2-300 to get the girdle fixed, and THEN top it off with insurance protection.

I love that YG Tacori, btw, are you seeking it in YG? It's beautiful

Hi Madelise, I'd consider getting the girdle fixed if I knew of a good cutter in my area. I suppose I could get it fixed by a cutter in Canada, I should ask in Rocky Talk. With PS being a mostly US-site, I'm left with the impression that anything outside of the US won't be of good quality (which is probably false but it's difficult when certain US vendors are mentioned over and over again).

As for the Tacori setting, Yes, I'll be getting it in yellow gold. For me, yellow gold helps me to see the detail work of the setting better than wg or platinum. Plus I like that the diamonds pop a bit more because of the contrast. A few friends have given me funny looks when I say that I'm getting YG but I think they'll change their minds once they see the final product.

audball

Ideal_Rock
maccers|1355330161|3329405 said:
I made a mistake, the finish is called 'fern'. It comes in a bezel set version too - I just thought it looked interesting but I haven't been able to find a picture with someone wearing it, just stock photos.

It's funny that I'm attracted to Sholdt because, generally, modern isn't my thing but Sholdt is so...yummy and a bit different from other modern settings, imo. I'd love to get a RHR one day in a Sholdt setting.
The picture helped! It's from the Lynden collection (mine is in the Vashon collection). I haven't seen one in real life, but I kind of like the look.

This one kind of reminds me of the YG Tacori you like.
http://sholdtdesign.com/Lynden/R5541D.htm

And YES! It is funny. I adore the Sholdt but typically in every other area of my life I'm so NOT into modern anything.

Schafenm

Shiny_Rock
Random thought today!!

If SO and I had not broken up for 4 years at the end of college and afterwards today would be our 10 year anniversary from when we first started dated!! OMG

We were 16 when we started dating. We dated in college and being that we were young and in college it didn't work out. I moved out of state after college for a while and we didn't speak or run into each other for almost 4 years. I ran into him out after I moved home and as you all know (and since I am a LIW) the rest is history. I think our break was a blessing because we are so good for each other and happy now. If we had stayed together and got married like a lot of southern people we would probably be divorced now. We grew in that time apart and are better than ever!

Hope everyone is having a great week this week!!!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Schafenm|1355363034|3329887 said:
Random thought today!!

If SO and I had not broken up for 4 years at the end of college and afterwards today would be our 10 year anniversary from when we first started dated!! OMG

We were 16 when we started dating. We dated in college and being that we were young and in college it didn't work out. I moved out of state after college for a while and we didn't speak or run into each other for almost 4 years. I ran into him out after I moved home and as you all know (and since I am a LIW) the rest is history. I think our break was a blessing because we are so good for each other and happy now. If we had stayed together and got married like a lot of southern people we would probably be divorced now. We grew in that time apart and are better than ever!

Hope everyone is having a great week this week!!!
What a thought! Funny how things work out sometimes. I'm glad you were able to take that time apart to learn about yourselves as individuals and grow so that you could be together again. :love:

audball

Ideal_Rock
:errrr: Andrew's first of three interviews is this afternoon. He is so nervous. Keep the dust coming, ladies! We're really hoping this works out perfectly for him!

boysenberry

Rough_Rock

audball

Ideal_Rock
boysenberry|1355410674|3330216 said:
Hi ladies, I have an update! SO proposed last night!! 4 weeks before I thought the ring was going to arrive! I'm sad that my stay at LIW was so short but I am sure I will stick around for awhile as you guys have been so great and welcoming.

Pics and details here:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engaged-on-12-12-12-1-32-rb-solitaire.183060/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engaged-on-12-12-12-1-32-rb-solitaire.183060/[/URL]
SQUEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Start your own thread so we can congratulate you properly! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

boysenberry

Rough_Rock
audball|1355410807|3330219 said:
Hi ladies, I have an update! SO proposed last night!! 4 weeks before I thought the ring was going to arrive! I'm sad that my stay at LIW was so short but I am sure I will stick around for awhile as you guys have been so great and welcoming.

Pics and details here:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engaged-on-12-12-12-1-32-rb-solitaire.183060/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engaged-on-12-12-12-1-32-rb-solitaire.183060/[/URL]
SQUEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Start your own thread so we can congratulate you properly! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

I started one in SMTB! Haha but okI will start one here as well :)

Schafenm

Shiny_Rock

Pics and details here:

Congrats Boysenberry!!!

audball

Ideal_Rock
boysenberry|1355410873|3330221 said:
I started one in SMTB! Haha but okI will start one here as well :)
Not all the LIWs venture to SMTB and not all of them check this thread! I just want to make sure people notice! :naughty:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TODAY IS MY 3 YR ANNIVERSARY!! :appl:

And I found it that it will be raining tonight ;( I hope we're still able to see the meteor shower.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
OMG, very exciting news for so many people!

Lots of dust to madelise for her meteor shower proposal tonight and to audball's SO's interviews - and my fingers are crossed too!

Boysen - congratulations, your ring is really awesome!!

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
maccers|1355439062|3330604 said:
OMG, very exciting news for so many people!

Lots of dust to madelise for her meteor shower proposal tonight and to audball's SO's interviews - and my fingers are crossed too!

Boysen - congratulations, your ring is really awesome!!

Hear hear! :appl:

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
:naughty:
madelise|1355436667|3330581 said:

And I found it that it will be raining tonight ;( I hope we're still able to see the meteor shower.

Awww, Happy Anniversary!!!!! I'm sorry about the rain, but hopefully you'll still have a wonderful evening!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MBKRH|1355448584|3330737 said:

Awww, Happy Anniversary!!!!! I'm sorry about the rain, but hopefully you'll still have a wonderful evening!

Thanks, ladies! *hugs*. The rain shouldn't be too much of a bother, I hope. CA/NV weather forecasts are usually never reliable on rain.. so hopefully it just doesn't!! He's coming over soon to pick me up :) and I'm all dolled up with red lipstick and an olive green Grecian tunic on.. going with a bit of a holiday theme ::) I'm so excited, I stayed home all day forcing myself to nap so I can stay awake for the meteor shower peak!!

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1355452799|3330797 said:

Thanks, ladies! *hugs*. The rain shouldn't be too much of a bother, I hope. CA/NV weather forecasts are usually never reliable on rain.. so hopefully it just doesn't!! He's coming over soon to pick me up :) and I'm all dolled up with red lipstick and an olive green Grecian tunic on.. going with a bit of a holiday theme ::) I'm so excited, I stayed home all day forcing myself to nap so I can stay awake for the meteor shower peak!!

~*~*~*~*~*~dust dust dust~*~*~*~*~*~ I have my fingers crossed for you!!!!!!

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
Thinking of you, madelise (outfit sounds pretty)!

audball

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1355452799|3330797 said:

YAY! I can't wait to hear all about your evening. I certainly hope you have good news for us! :naughty:

boysenberry

Rough_Rock
Ditto Madelise, I'm waiting to hear about your meteor proposal and see pics of your huge rock!! :naughty:

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Gah! Where is she? I was hoping madelise would have updated already!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Andrew has his last 2 of the 3 total interviews today. He says he did the best he could. Now we wait. They anticipate having a decision by the middle of next week, possibly as early as Tuesday.

His birthday is Tuesday. I really really hope he doesn't get a rejection at all and gets this job. But if he does get a rejection, I really really hope it isn't on Tuesday.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1355509863|3331355 said:
Andrew has his last 2 of the 3 total interviews today. He says he did the best he could. Now we wait. They anticipate having a decision by the middle of next week, possibly as early as Tuesday.

His birthday is Tuesday. I really really hope he doesn't get a rejection at all and gets this job. But if he does get a rejection, I really really hope it isn't on Tuesday.

I hope Andrew gets a job offer on or before his birthday. Sending more job dust his way.

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
maccers|1355499953|3331218 said:
Gah! Where is she? I was hoping madelise would have updated already!

Where is she?! :naughty:

audball

Ideal_Rock
mary poppins|1355521543|3331518 said:
I hope Andrew gets a job offer on or before his birthday. Sending more job dust his way.
Thanks mp! I really hope so too!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results