shape
carat
color
clarity

Updated profiles?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Maybe we could have a way to enhance our profiles to reflect the user more? I understand that we have Who''s Who as a place where people can gather and share...but a lot of "new users" may not even know about that catagory since it''s not featured in the drop down menu. And, there is so much information in an individuals thread, often times stuff gets overlooked or lost. I think, similar to a facebook profile, you could have a place where a user could list his/her interests, general location, favorite movies or books or music, and other facts the feel like sharing. I think it would be a really fun way to help people connect on here that may not realize they love the same music, or live in the same city, or have a common favorite author, or have the same hobby (outside of diamond collecting, of course). I think it could stand to enhance the sense of community a lot.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I like that idea.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Ooooh oooooh yeah, me too!
36.gif

I think any mechanism that offers more information (only that the person providing is willing and desires to share, of course) is a good thing and helps to build a stronger community.

Being able to leave any field blank that you didn't want to share would then leave it up to each individual.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to see at a glance what someone's hobbies or interests are, or their general location, or what their family website, or personal blog is about?

I think shared interests build solidarity and a feeling of connection and cohesiveness, and I think it would make PS even better.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
+1 to this idea

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
I like this idea a lot. I do think it''s important though, as Lynn B said, that each individual can decide what to fill out and what to leave out. I really like the concept of this though!

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I agree. I know that sometimes I try to remember where someone said they lived or something similar to that and from reading all the posts I can''t quite remember who it was. I think this is a great idea.

Of course, jewelery pics will be included in profile right?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/27/2009 6:14:12 PM
Author: radiantquest
And maps to our houses! And aerial photos! And combinations to our wall safes! I dunno peeps ... this sounds dicey to me. So much info is available on the web today -- via Pepl and Google Maps and Zillow & such ....

I guess one can always opt out ...

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/27/2009 6:18:14 PM
Author: decodelighted

... I guess one can always opt out ...
''xactly!
1.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I think if it was an abbreviated profile with an option to "opt out" of course, it could work. But it would need to be respectful, as Deco pointed out...an individuals right to privacy needs to be first and foremost.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/27/2009 6:18:14 PM
Author: decodelighted

Date: 8/27/2009 6:14:12 PM
Author: radiantquest
And maps to our houses! And aerial photos! And combinations to our wall safes! I dunno peeps ... this sounds dicey to me. So much info is available on the web today -- via Pepl and Google Maps and Zillow & such ....

I guess one can always opt out ...
23.gif

Don''t put Deco on this committee!!!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Here''s another thing about a potentiial "Personal Profile" section...

Honestly, most people who''ve been around here awhile have already shared info about themselves that they are comfortable sharing... some folks more, some folks less, of course. But if you hang around here long enough, you will (most likely and eventually) learn what someone''s other hobbies or interests are, what they do for a living, if they have kids or pets, their general geographic area, etc. It''s just generally scattered here and there, throughout multiple threads and posts and subforums.

All a "personal profile" area does (IMHO) is bring all this info together, in one place. I don''t think having an optional "Personal Profile" section is going to cause anyone to divulge more info than they are comfortable sharing. People can use it (or not), just like they share *personal* info (or not) otherwise throughout the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results