shape
carat
color
clarity

Updated CAD is in... Opinions please!

Mommy2BMR

Shiny_Rock
Got the updated CAD today. Here is my reference drawing again:

And here are the CADs (he said the shank and basket diamonds are not shown and will be added after). I have some changes in mind but wanted to ask for your opinions first. TIA!

_2913.jpg

_2914.jpg

_2915.jpg

20.jpg

Mommy2BMR

Shiny_Rock
more

_2916.jpg

_2917.jpg

_2918.jpg

_2919.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The basket looks too wide to me..too bulky. Your drawing looks more delicate to me. Otherwise it looks good.

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
It's so hard to tell from CADs but to me the swoopiness of the split shank looks like it will come out nice! I agree with DS about the basket.

Can't wait to see it finished!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
In your drawing the surprise diamond seems to sit higher. Not sure if that is a big deal to you or not but just thought it was worth mentioning...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the swoopiness of the split shank too, but I don't know that I'm sold on the way the prongs tweak acutely around the basket. I mean, I *like* it, but I've generally found that some of the precision of detail gets lost in the translation of a CAD model to an actual 3D casting - the nooks and crannies can't be finished completely cleanly, polishing mellows curves out a bit unless they're exaggerated in the CAD model.. I'm looking at this bit in particular, I don't think the slight outward bowing of the prongs at A will come through - I think they'll just look straight IRL, and I also don't think the concave inflection at B will translate well - I think that curve is likely to flatten out considerably as well, and with both of those parts linear I think the piece loses some of that fluid, molten character.

*If it was my ring* (big IF, I know!!) I'd probably avoid the risk and bow the prongs out from the surprise stone - just a single gradual curve - but then you'd change the side view, and you wouldn't get that "surprise prongs emerging from the basket" look that I actually like a lot...

cad.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree the prongs in your drawning come fluidly out of the bottom in a concave design- the cad has them hidden then coming out of the basket. I like your drawing better in that regard.

Also I like the surpise stone sitting higher kike your drawing shows :)
Is it going to stay a diamond or be a gemstone? Usually I see people with suprise stones like that. Either way its going to be great

Mommy2BMR

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your thoughts! I had a chat with him today. The reason he shaped the prongs this way is to allow the matching wedding band to sit closer. And it's also the reason why the surprise diamond is lower, otherwise it would have to be angled and bother the wedding band. I did ask for the double prongs to be a little more delicate, but other than that I told him to proceed. Woot! I am so excited!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't wait to see the finished product! I hope it is everything you imagined and more. :love:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your drawing - it took my breath away when I opened this thread. My trouble with CADs is that I can never tell what is the clunkiness of the CAD rendering and what will might actually translate to clunkiness in the ring that you won't realize until its in hand. That said, it looks like it will be a lovely, lovely ring. The experts see the subtleties, but I have a prong question which is probably stupid but here goes: your claw prongs in the drawing are so delicate and they don't appear in the CAD at all like yours. Is that just a limitation of the CAD program, or have they not gotten to them yet?

Mommy2BMR

Shiny_Rock
I discussed the clunkiness of the CADs and the prongs with him over the phone. He said once the metal is polished away on the shank and the small diamonds are set, it should look more delicate and about the thickness of a band I saw in his store and liked. My drawing is not to scale really, so I am not sure if I drew it too thin for the size of the diamond, but it should look like my current band, the thickness of which I like.

For the prongs, I asked him to make them more delicate, and he said he will. Also, the setter will make them "pointy" and claw-like once they are ready to set the center stone.

He said they'll have it ready in about 10 days. Eeeep!!!!!! Can't wait.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yeah i think they cast the prongs thick and then hand shave them down to nice claw prongs, if i am not mistaken.

OH MY GOODNESS thats like practically only a week :lol: i cannot WAIT to see it

wsblue430

Brilliant_Rock
The cad looks fantastic! Very beautiful design and so classy. Cant wait to see your finished ring! :appl:

meredeth11

Shiny_Rock
I learned a lot about the shank, the basket, and and the prong, discussion here is useful for me custom ring as well, guys,
in other words, it can be reference for me in some degree in near future for my own item, an I found meaning of discussion on a custom item! :) Thanks guys sincerely!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results