shape
carat
color
clarity

Update & Request for Dust

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bummer, @Trekkie. I was hoping for better news for you and your family. Sending more dust your way for positive results. You and your DH have a lot to contribute and any country would be lucky to have you.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want all 6/6, Canada would be a good choice. Cricket is not as popular here as it is in the UK/Australia/NZ, but there are cricket leagues that are active here. I don't believe that we have a point system such as Australia has or an age limit for application, and your educational backgrounds would likely put you in good stead. We do have winter here, but not everywhere gets unbearably cold. Most places in BC are quite temperate in the winter, and Southern Ontario is as well. Plus, once citizenship is established, Canadians do not typically have any issues with immigration to other places if you decided at some point that you'd prefer to be somewhere else. (We seem to have quite a reciprocal relationship with Australia for example, with many Aussies coming to live and work here and vice versa).

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want all 6/6, Canada would be a good choice. Cricket is not as popular here as it is in the UK/Australia/NZ, but there are cricket leagues that are active here. I don't believe that we have a point system such as Australia has or an age limit for application, and your educational backgrounds would likely put you in good stead. We do have winter here, but not everywhere gets unbearably cold. Most places in BC are quite temperate in the winter, and Southern Ontario is as well. Plus, once citizenship is established, Canadians do not typically have any issues with immigration to other places if you decided at some point that you'd prefer to be somewhere else. (We seem to have quite a reciprocal relationship with Australia for example, with many Aussies coming to live and work here and vice versa).

re: Canada, British Columbia was my original thought as far as climate was concerned. New Zealand, however, sounds ideal. :))

Deb :wavey:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have only been to Australia and NZ once, but I would live in either with NZ being my first choice just for beauty. Sending you a hug. Keep at it, wish you were coming here to the USA :)

Thank you for your post. No, the problem seems to be that he is already too highly qualified.

I’m still upset but I’ll have to make peace with it. NZ is next on our list, so will apply for jobs there as and when they become available and hopefully we will strike it lucky. A job offer from NZ will push us over the points threshold. If no job offer we’ll have to wait until I finish my masters.

We would have loved to make Australia our home, but if NZ will have us I’ll accept it with a smile and a grateful heart and celebrate being a new kiwi. We’d be happy in any country that has our six essential things, and I’m confident that we can make a positive contribution to NZ and build a good life there for our little family. If NZ is truly awful (which I highly doubt) we can move to Australia once we have NZ citizenship, as kiwis have the right to live and work in Australia.

But as things stand now I guess I need to take some time to process this.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love to move to New Zealand too. I wouldn't see that as a hardship at all.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder why Australia has the age cut off? It had never occurred to me that places would bar people over 45 from getting work visas.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder why Australia has the age cut off? It had never occurred to me that places would bar people over 45 from getting work visas.

The country may be thinking about how many "useful" years a person has to contribute before he retires and takes benefits from the new country. Having adopted a child overseas, I know there were upper and lower age limits set by various countries for various reasons. One just had to figure out what they were. ;))

AGBF

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't know about Australia, but I am a permanent resident of Singapore (something which is very hard to get unless you conform to certain desideratum -- i.e. they want young people, who are highly educated, already high earning for a number of years in Singapore and who belong to the chinese race.).

These people they hope to later convert to citizens, so they're looking for what they need to replenish within their population. They're 80% chinese racially, but the chinese portion of the population has a very low birth rate (much lower than other segments such as the malays who are predominantly muslim and can be culturally a bit different). So to maintain at 80% they agressively imigrate people whoes race is chinese. They're population is also aging, as birth rates here are almost the lowest in the world. Actually this is a major issue (one of their 5 key strategic areas). So they want to replenish the younger segment. They obviously want these peopl to be self sufficient -- hence the other factors.

Finally they want people who will convert to Singaporean citizenship (which involves renouncing all other nationalities). I don't think I will ever let my home country go, and obviously that shows up statistically in a lot of people from my region of the world (so I have no doubt they know this already). Ergo they dont want us, actually I assume one day they'll kick us out (as Singapore gets a chance to review your residency status every 5 years). But I love it here, so I hope we get to stay.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The country may be thinking about how many "useful" years a person has to contribute before he retires and takes benefits from the new country. Having adopted a child overseas, I know there were upper and lower age limits set by various countries for various reasons. One just had to figure out what they were. ;))

AGBF

I thought of that too, but they’re doing it for temporary work visas too, not just citizenship. And with a work visa you have to go home once you’re no longer working. Including if you get sick (when I lived in the US, I needed proof of special insurance to cover my moving expenses home in case of illness barring me from working in order to maintain my work visa). Maybe it has to do with the cost of health care for older workers well enough to work but who may be at higher risk of expensive medical treatments. I get it, but it chuffs me that I’m too old now to be considered when I think I’m still a pretty good catch!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results