Update & Request for Dust

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
YAY! Congratulations!!!!

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations - that's AWESOME!!

I'm Australian - currently living in the US for my husband's work, but returning in about 3 years. I hope you're able to tick all the boxes and emigrate, @Trekkie; it's not known as 'the God Zone' (ie God's own country) for nothing!

Wishing you every success with your plans. :wavey:

Thank you so very much!!

It is an incredible place absolutely deserving of its nickname and you are so lucky to call it home!!

I just finished reading The House of Unexpected Sisters by Alexander McCall Smith today. I may never get closer to Africa than "Sandy's" books, but they are wonderful. My niece, who loves Africa, has come to love his books, too, even though they were hardly the kind of book she usually read. They must capture something of Africa!

AGBF

Thank you, I’ll look for that!

Thank you everyone!

Very busy time at work so only just able to reply.

We are absolutely elated by the English test result.

VETASSESS (the skills assessment authority) called the MD of my DH’s institute this morning to confirm his employment as a research and development manager. They’re happy with “research” but have reservations about “development”, particularly as my husband’s work informs conservation rather than industry. It is not looking good. :’(

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you so very much!!

It is an incredible place absolutely deserving of its nickname and you are so lucky to call it home!!

Thank you, I’ll look for that!

Thank you everyone!

Very busy time at work so only just able to reply.

We are absolutely elated by the English test result.

VETASSESS (the skills assessment authority) called the MD of my DH’s institute this morning to confirm his employment as a research and development manager. They’re happy with “research” but have reservations about “development”, particularly as my husband’s work informs conservation rather than industry. It is not looking good. :’(

Congratulations! It sounds like you are both doing a phenomenal job.

Can I ask, have you considered also applying to New Zealand? Holders of NZ passports have special rights to live and work in Australia, and NZ is one of the most forward thinking societies I have seen (as part of thid they seems to have realized how phenomenally important enciromental conservation really is -- whereas Australia for instance is still debating whether it was a stroke of genius to give the better part of a 400 million dollar grant to save the barrier reef to a seven person company of ex oil and gass executives ---- edit for link which expressess the issue much more eloquently and accurately than me https://www.google.com.sg/amp/amp.abc.net.au/article/9785782, perhaps capturing how Aussie could benefit from more open dialogue about conservation and conservation efforts.)

Last edited:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! It sounds like you are both doing a phenomenal job.

Can I ask, have you considered also applying to New Zealand? Holders of NZ passports have special rights to live and work in Australia, and NZ is one of the most forward thinking societies I have seen (as part of thid they seems to have realized how phenomenally important enciromental conservation really is -- whereas Australia for instance is still debating whether it was a stroke of genius to give the better part of a 400 million dollar grant to save the barrier reef to a seven person company of ex oil and gass executives ---- edit for link which expressess the issue much more eloquently and accurately than me https://www.google.com.sg/amp/amp.abc.net.au/article/9785782, perhaps capturing how Aussie could benefit from more open dialogue about conservation and conservation efforts.)

Since Trekkie said she was busy, I will presume to give a short response before she returns. I believe that she said that New Zealand is, indeed, on their list. It was second choice, I think. :)) This is a very informative posting.

AGBF :wavey:

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Hiii!

Yes, NZ is number two on our list! And ironically, it is harder for us to get into NZ than Australia! IF he gets a positive assessment for his nominated occupation (:pray:) DH will have enough points for Australia.

For NZ you currently need 160 points, and without a job offer we’re currently on 155. When I finish my masters at the end of next year we’ll have 165. Here’s hoping they don’t increase the points threshold before then!

DH applied for a position at a uni in NZ last week and at the end of his cover letter he included a paragraph about being “migration-ready” with his PhD assessed by NZQA as being being comparable to NZ standard, and a recent English test passed at the required band etc. Although he far exceeds the minimum requirements for the position he is not optimistic, in part because he is so obviously overqualified. But I guess you don’t know until you try? A job offer would put us firmly over 160 points, and would guarantee a speedy invitation to apply.

I guess we are living in limbo until Monday.

Thank you all for your continued interest and support! I will update as soon as I have news.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hiii!

Yes, NZ is number two on our list! And ironically, it is harder for us to get into NZ than Australia! IF he gets a positive assessment for his nominated occupation (:pray:) DH will have enough points for Australia.

For NZ you currently need 160 points, and without a job offer we’re currently on 155. When I finish my masters at the end of next year we’ll have 165. Here’s hoping they don’t increase the points threshold before then!

DH applied for a position at a uni in NZ last week and at the end of his cover letter he included a paragraph about being “migration-ready” with his PhD assessed by NZQA as being being comparable to NZ standard, and a recent English test passed at the required band etc. Although he far exceeds the minimum requirements for the position he is not optimistic, in part because he is so obviously overqualified. But I guess you don’t know until you try? A job offer would put us firmly over 160 points, and would guarantee a speedy invitation to apply.

I guess we are living in limbo until Monday.

Thank you all for your continued interest and support! I will update as soon as I have news.

Sending good vibes your way!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck Trekkie! :clap:

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Yea good luck :appl:.

Thank you @qubitasaurus!

Best of luck to your family, Trekkie! I hope you end up in a place you love!

Thank you @diamondseeker2006!

Good luck Trekkie! :clap:

Thank you @Dancing Fire!

Still no info from agent regarding the skills assessment. I don't know if that's good news or not. We were supposed to find out today but the working day is over already in Australia. I guess this means we'll find out tomorrow.

I'm a nervous wreck.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My fingers are crossed!

AGBF

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Continuing to send good thoughts your way. I hope you get the great news soon!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Count me in as another PSer who has your family on my thought/positive energy radar!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Trekkie sending continued bucketloads of good luck dust your way and keeping good thoughts for you!

GOODLUCKDUST.GIF

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Negative.

"We just received this and unfortunately its negative.
As suspected they had a problem with the commercial side of the business.

The only option we have is to try have you reassessed as a Life Science Technician.
This will require a change of occupation form – see attached
And will cost $598"

I'm a mess.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
I'm really upset.

Our agent (MARA registered) pushed for R&D Manager even though my husband is actually a geneticist not an R&D Manager. I suggested Life Science Technician right at the beginning and the agent's response was, "why would you want to do that?"

It was felt that as DH has a PhD and his title is "Senior Research Scientist" and as he leads research teams etc his work experience would be at a higher level than the role calls for, and could result in him being overqualified.

Now this is being suggested and I'm just like, WTF?!

Now I have to pay an additional $600, plus another $1400 agent's fees, PLUS another 10 week wait that will push us over into the new year!

And every December South Australia (the only state we can apply to for a nomination) increases the high points threshold (the number of points needed to access the supplementary list, which is the list this occupation is listed on) by 5 points.

And there's no guarantee that he will be assessed as a life science technician because he's so very clearly overqualified!!! Not only is he overqualified, we can't even pretend that his work experience is at a lower level because the assessment authority has just evaluated documentation where we claim he's at quite a senior level.

I'm so upset.

And I don't know if it's worth paying another $2000 on yet another maybe. Our second choice is New Zealand but we can only apply to NZ after I finish my masters at the end of next year, and who knows if their points threshold will still be 160 points a year and a half from now?

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trekkie, I'm so sorry!!!!!i keep sending dust and positive thoughts for you and your family. We recently changed countries and it was a challenge for me as is - without all the Visa obstacles etc.
I'm not sure I'm not mixing up the details, but there's still the chance of getting invited via a job offer, right? And your own master's degree will earn you enough points to apply..?

Lots of dust to you!!!

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Trekkie, I'm so sorry!!!!!i keep sending dust and positive thoughts for you and your family. We recently changed countries and it was a challenge for me as is - without all the Visa obstacles etc.
I'm not sure I'm not mixing up the details, but there's still the chance of getting invited via a job offer, right? And your own master's degree will earn you enough points to apply..?

Lots of dust to you!!!

Thank you so much for this. I really appreciate it.

With a job offer you only get a four year visa, it is not a guaranteed path to permanent residency. My husband turns 45 in May so are running out of time. 45 is the cutoff for Australia.

I only finish my masters at the end of next year, by which time it will only really be useful to us for trying to get into NZ, and that's only IF NZ doesn't increase the points threshold again.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, I see. Keep my fingers crossed for the reassessment and also a job offer as a back up!!!! Once you're in, they won't want you guys to leave again. You are both highly educated and motivated - a dream for any country !

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh @Trekkie, I am so sorry! I agree with @kipari you guys are a dream addition for any country!
Continuing sending good thoughts and lots of good luck dust your way and hoping it works out for you guys still to get into Australia! Do not give up. Keep plugging away. Persistence. I would pay the 2K (in the long run it is worth the extra money for the chance to be successful here IMO) and having NZ as the backup though I am not sure if that timing works for you.

(((Hugs))) and BUCKETS OF GOOD LUCK DUST to you both!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh bugger, I was hoping I'd be responding to your update by welcoming you to Aus! Boo. Huuuuuge truckloads of dust!

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all very much.

Oh my gosh @Trekkie, I am so sorry! I agree with @kipari you guys are a dream addition for any country!
Continuing sending good thoughts and lots of good luck dust your way and hoping it works out for you guys still to get into Australia! Do not give up. Keep plugging away. Persistence. I would pay the 2K (in the long run it is worth the extra money for the chance to be successful here IMO) and having NZ as the backup though I am not sure if that timing works for you.

(((Hugs))) and BUCKETS OF GOOD LUCK DUST to you both!

The issue is time, rather than money. We have already used the fast track service once, the skills assessment authority won't permit us to use it again. If we nominate a different occupation we will only get a response at the end of January or early February, by which time South Australia will have increased the points threshold.

It is highly unlikely that they will assess DH positively as a technician (skill level 2) as DH's education, job title, work experience and position in organisational organogram all point to a more senior role (skill level 1).

I guess this is the end of the line for us and we will have to hope that there are no changes to the NZ immigration policy over the next 18 months.

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers and dust.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there any add on training he could do to get qualified? I'm thinking about things like certificates or whatever that can be done online in a few weeks (working long hours) or similar.

I'm sorry. Just trying to think of anything that might help. You would be an awesome addition to any place lucky enough to have you. Still hoping that somehow your first choice works out.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Is there any add on training he could do to get qualified? I'm thinking about things like certificates or whatever that can be done online in a few weeks (working long hours) or similar.

I'm sorry. Just trying to think of anything that might help. You would be an awesome addition to any place lucky enough to have you. Still hoping that somehow your first choice works out.

Thank you for your post. No, the problem seems to be that he is already too highly qualified.

I’m still upset but I’ll have to make peace with it. NZ is next on our list, so will apply for jobs there as and when they become available and hopefully we will strike it lucky. A job offer from NZ will push us over the points threshold. If no job offer we’ll have to wait until I finish my masters.

We would have loved to make Australia our home, but if NZ will have us I’ll accept it with a smile and a grateful heart and celebrate being a new kiwi. We’d be happy in any country that has our six essential things, and I’m confident that we can make a positive contribution to NZ and build a good life there for our little family. If NZ is truly awful (which I highly doubt) we can move to Australia once we have NZ citizenship, as kiwis have the right to live and work in Australia.

But as things stand now I guess I need to take some time to process this.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about Canada? Would they qualify as a Commonwealth so have the same benefits of NZ? If so, might be a good backup plan.

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I'm so sorry to read this @Trekkie :cry2:

Does your MARA agent have any advice on what to do next? Can you talk to them about giving the wrong advice before?

NZ is wonderful too, I really think it's a good option and worth looking into more.

Although you're all over it, let me know if there's anything I can do to help (seeing as I'm in Australia)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck, Trekkie. It sounds as if NZ is win/win. You can either stay or go on to Australia if you are there. And in the meantime you can take a breather and finish your masters degree. Was Canada too cold for you? I believe it had your other qualifications. I think Sharon asked you about it before.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am sorry, that would be truely vexing. There is almost no loss in having an NZ citizenship over an Australian one. They are very simmilar. And if you choose to settle in Australia for the long term, you should eventually be able to convert an NZ citizenship into a dual Australian and NZ one. It is more steps, but the end point will be the same. So I would just go forward and try everything, till something succeeds (it will, your husband is clearly talented, so are you. the big picture looks fine.). Good luck :appl:.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results