shape
carat
color
clarity

UPDATE: Presenting diamond.. to set or not to set...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JoeB

Rough_Rock
A few days ago I asked in this forum if it''s better to present a plain diamond or set it in a temporary setting, present it to her, and then pick the final setting together.

I appreciate all the help I''ve gotten..

But talking to the jewler yesterday, there''s a twist to the "plot" that I need some advise on.

Since the diamond is a princess cut diamond, the jeweler says he doesn''t have any temporary princess settings.. and that making one takes many hours..

What he is offering to do is to set the diamond in a RB setting (4 prong) and then present it, and bring it back. The way it will be set is the prongs will not hold the corners of the diamond, but rather the 4 sides!!! He told me that the diamond will never fall out, but since the corners are exposed, the ring can only be worn temporarly for show, and not in an everyday scenario for a week before coming back to him.

So the question is, should I have him set it, or play it safe and just present the diamond in a special box, or ???

Thanks.

Adrienne

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm...
1.gif

I'd say if your jeweler cannot give you a safe temporary setting then just present the diamond in a nice box - and have some time planned out for later that day or the next day to look at settings together.

If you go with the temp setting that does not protect the corners the odds are that at least one of you (and likely both of you) will be constantly worried about damaging the diamond... and if it does get damaged everyone will feel bad.

So I'd say the diamond should be in a pretty box, with concrete plans to look at settings within that 24-hour period!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I'd call another jeweler to see if he might have a setting to accommodate you.

You could buy a temp setting elsewhere and bring it to your jeweler to set the stone with. Just tell him what specs you need to meet in order to satisfy the stone.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I find it hard to believe that the jeweler can not (or will not) accomodate you. Was he going to charge you for the "temp" setting?

Also, your fiancee may indeed want a simple "tiffany" style setting............one that doesn't look dopey with the prongs not properly fastened.

My advice.......drop 10 & punt. I would still look for a setting that properly accomodates the stone. You are spending a decent sum & should not accept your jeweler's response.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results