shape
carat
color
clarity

Update on the Rubies.........

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was just going to quote that, haha!! @Bron357 very exciting! It must be very draining, though. It’s good that you’re taking your time. Those “garnets” sure did clean up nicely. :kiss2:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg @Bron357 what an amazing find! Good on you for taking a chance and getting such a fun reward!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
@Bron357 wow you have an Alex too? I missed that one. Ah, ok, so you took quite a few in including the sapphires and he confirmed those as well. Actually, it is good practice for students to see stones like this sometimes exactly for the reason that the stones we practice on are usually not top specimens or very valuable. You take the risk when you bring them in. Have to follow them of course. In class we had so many stones get lost even if temporarily. A diamond popped in between the wall and the sealing. During exams everyone ran around like a crazy and dropped stones. I was once handed bags with holes in the bottom. Three times I had stones land in my purse and of course everyone was laughing once we found them. But it is not a joke because someone can drop and damage your stones, so only let those handle them you trust, such as your teacher.

Would of course love to see pix of that big one. Really curious what results will come out on that on. I am getting excited and second that you need to assess a bit further, recut, do a full report thereafter including origin, treatments, etc. Cannot wait and can imagine how excited you are! I can completely understand how this journey started for you that may begin a career since mine began out of passion too.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Following your mystery story closely! How exciting, @Bron357 !
This is so much better than Agatha Christie!!

Last edited:

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How could I miss this thread? It’s fascinating! Please, keep us posted!!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is amazing!!! What a find!! Hugs to you about your parents.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes, please keep us posted! I would love to have you send some of these stones to AGL for gem briefs, and then you can go from there!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the old jeweler would be very happy to know his treasures lay undiscovered until they were found by exactly the right person to love and appreciate them. :angel:

mco312

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 Just catching up on this... I am so excited for you!! I'm giddy to learn what you end up doing with the rubies.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait...I missed this how??

Oh my word... :love::love::love::love::love::love: I can't wait to see what they come back as!!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the old jeweler would be very happy to know his treasures lay undiscovered until they were found by exactly the right person to love and appreciate them. :angel:

exactly this! and you sound like a lovely person, i love when unexpected good things happen to good people. =)

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want one too!!!

Heirloomjewls

Rough_Rock
Thank you.
My parents are very draining at the moment but I’m very fortunate to still have them around. My brother lives on the other side of Australia and my sister lives in France so it’s just me (and DH and DD).
My dad in particular is such a warrior. He’s been “dying” with metastasis to lungs, liver and kidney for over 12 months now (aged 82) and just had a full hip replacement 3 days ago AND wants to drive his car home to Bowral (that’s an 1 1/2 drive) tomorrow! No way!
With the gems, the auctioneers were just advised to “clear the whole house” as when the Mrs passed away (some months earlier) their children had already been through the house and removed all the “good stuff”.
The Mr, who had been a jeweler, died a lot earlier - 1990s apparently. In going through all the old wardrobes, chests and cupboards plus the garage and his old workshop the Auctioneers found various old cardboard boxes (complete with dust and desiccated dead insects - ugh) with all sorts of old jewellers equipment and containers and rusty tins (most couldn’t even be opened so they just rattled them to see if they were empty or not). So they just put piles of stuff together and sold them as is, whatever they are.
The lot I bought I bought because I saw the white metal ring heads (the prong bit) and knowing that they weren’t likely to be silver or base metal I took a chance they were gold (actually 48 grams of platinum). I bought the other lot (another tatty cardboard box with more dead insects and dust) for the small bits of opal rough, agate, coral, etc and broken pearl strands for my crafting.
Yeah, so that’s how I got more loose gems than you can poke a stick at!
And apart from what any or all of them might be worth, I have had SO MUCH FUN playing with them.
AND Im now formally studying gemology- they inspired me to follow up on an ancient childhood dream of mine - so how good is that!
Your fabulous find was KARMA

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Those rubies found you! They wanted to be in the good hands of someone who will give them TLC and send them to loving homes. I hope they can be successfully recut by Doug. And did you mention 50 cts of sapphires? Will we get to see them?

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 , you are living my fantasy. So cool to know that a find like this can actually happen, and that I "know" the person it happened to. I, too, can't wait to see the sapphires. This is so exciting.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So after seeing the posts about Truth, I dug back through your previous posts to get a better understanding of what was going on. Holy moly!! This is like a made for TV movie in the making!! I can’t even imagine the range of emotions you’ve experienced as you’ve uncovered these treasures!! And that you are sharing your joy with others is absolutely amazing! What a kind heart you have!

I’m so sorry that both of your parents aren’t well...that is so hard to deal with, both emotionally and logistically. I’m glad that you can come home and play with your treasure trove to bring a smile to your face!

Can’t wait for future “episodes” of this adventure!!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a great story. Sending you happy thoughts!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results